Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What size tires do you feel safe riding across steel bridge grates with ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-17-20, 09:09 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

I know the steel grate discussion has been had before, but I'm wondering about a little more specific info...... What size tires do you all feel safe riding across steel grates with?

I've been using a mountain bike for neighborhood fitness rides, and my route always includes crossing a small draw bridge with steel grating, twice. I have to cross this bridge to get to my disired route where I can take many route variations through a nice easy going neighborhood. With the mountain bike tires I cross the grating with no concerns. I do have a hybrid bike on order and the tires are listed as 32c, and Im guessing the tires while slimmer have more beef than a traditional road bike tire. Back in 2014 I crossed this bridge, in the rain, on my CAAD10 road bike and my rear gatorskin tire blew out causing me to have a nasty crash requiring stitches. Trying to avoid having that happen again.
Old 09-17-20, 09:23 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
No! Not your sweet supple Gatorskin!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-17-20, 09:28 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
If I have to cross something that poses a concern for the tires & I am unable to steer around it, slowing down & alleviating the weight works when I ride across that stuff.
Old 09-17-20, 09:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
I've ridden across these bridges on 28-35. No matter what size I'm riding, I always wish for the next size up.

Did you try to do a post-mortem on the tire that blew out? Was there a sharp edge that cut into the tire, or a defect that happened to blow on the bridge?
Old 09-17-20, 09:37 AM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If I have to cross something that poses a concern for the tires & I am unable to steer around it, slowing down & alleviating the weight works when I ride across that stuff.
This. I have 25s on my Roubaix and 32s on my Domane, but I am careful in these situations regardless of what bike I’m on.
Old 09-17-20, 09:48 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I've ridden across these bridges on 28-35. No matter what size I'm riding, I always wish for the next size up.

Did you try to do a post-mortem on the tire that blew out? Was there a sharp edge that cut into the tire, or a defect that happened to blow on the bridge?
I just assumed the blow out was due to the slick jagged grating and did not inspect the tire. I remember feeling the tire sliding left and ride just before the blow out. At the time I had only been riding decent distances (for me) for a couple of months. My long ride of 54 miles happened the ride before the blow out, and I was scheduled for an event of 80 plus miles a couple of days after the blow out. I never recovered mentally and have sworn off road bike bikes and group riding (even though I was riding solo when I wiped out) haha.
Old 09-17-20, 09:59 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
why do they use steel grates? what's the damn purpose?
Old 09-17-20, 10:21 AM
Reflector Guy

Originally Posted by aclinjury
They provide additional traction if the bridge is wet.

I assume he's talking about the kind of bridges where the entire road surface is made out of a kind of textured see-through steel grating.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 09-17-20, 10:32 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I don't know the details of the grating that you are riding on, but I have had no problem on steel grate bridges down to 700X23. You have to be careful and probably should take it slow. Also make sure that narrow tires (like 28mm wide or less) are pmped up nice and hard. I could see pinch flats be a possibility if your tires are soft.
Old 09-17-20, 10:36 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
They're also strong and relatively light, which is a consideration for drawbridges.

To answer the OP's question, I'm okay riding over these bridges on 25mm road tires. I have Gatorskins on my training wheels and don't worry about them. On the other hand, when it rains those things are slick as snot and you have to have a very smooth pedaling action and very light touch on the bars. Or I'll walk--no shame in that.
Old 09-17-20, 10:42 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I've crossed them on 25mm and rather slowly.
Old 09-17-20, 10:46 AM
Reflector Guy

I used to live in Peoria IL and there was a really old bridge there with this type of roadway surface, I rode there all the time with 27x1-1/4 tires. I never had a problem, but it was always a worrisome moment approaching the strange bend this bridge had in the middle of it! Weird to have a bend in a bridge... Never had a problem there, though, not even in winter when the river beneath it would steam and create frost on the metal grating. Seems like it would be slippery. but I never had problems.
Old 09-17-20, 11:10 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
I know the steel grate discussion has been had before, but I'm wondering about a little more specific info...... What size tires do you all feel safe riding across steel grates with?

I've been using a mountain bike for neighborhood fitness rides, and my route always includes crossing a small draw bridge with steel grating, twice. I have to cross this bridge to get to my disired route where I can take many route variations through a nice easy going neighborhood. With the mountain bike tires I cross the grating with no concerns. I do have a hybrid bike on order and the tires are listed as 32c, and Im guessing the tires while slimmer have more beef than a traditional road bike tire. Back in 2014 I crossed this bridge, in the rain, on my CAAD10 road bike and my rear gatorskin tire blew out causing me to have a nasty crash requiring stitches. Trying to avoid having that happen again.
I would trust any properly inflated tire while crossing a bridge with a steel grate. The only threat of a flat would come from having the tire under-inflated. So as long as you keep your tires properly topped up, you should be fine. It's a shame you ruined a Gatorskin by riding too low on it. Those are some of the finest tires on the market, but they do require proper inflation.
Old 09-17-20, 11:16 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
If it's that big of a concern, I think I'd dismount and walk the bike across.
Old 09-17-20, 12:13 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,909 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
If it's that big of a concern, I think I'd dismount and walk the bike across.
If the distance is short & the environment raises no additional concern, that could be an option. ymmv.
Old 09-17-20, 01:09 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
The Mackinaw Bridge was designed with grates in the center lanes to prevent what caused the Tacoma Narrows Bridge to collapse.
Old 09-17-20, 02:34 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I frequently ride across movable bridge grates in Chicago. Some of them have steel panels to make it easier for cyclists, but some do not.
Back in the day, I rode across these with 23mm tires. I don't ride anything that narrow anymore, but definitely haven't had any issues with 28-32mm road tires. I've never really worried about flatting, but the tires do tend to squirm back and forth a bit when you hit these, and it can be a bit unnerving.

Contrary to what others are saying here, I find that hitting these with some speed is the best way to go. I usually speed up and then stand and coast over the bridge, letting the bike move around underneath me as the tires kind of wander back and forth.

Here's a close-up shot of one that I took, the path of travel is right to left in this image, not top to bottom.

Last edited by msu2001la; 09-17-20 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 09-17-20, 02:59 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I frequently ride across movable bridge grates in Chicago. Some of them have steel panels to make it easier for cyclists, but some do not.
Back in the day, I rode across these with 23mm tires. I don't ride anything that narrow anymore, but definitely haven't had any issues with 28-32mm road tires. I've never really worried about flatting, but the tires do tend to squirm back and forth a bit when you hit these, and it can be a bit unnerving.

Contrary to what others are saying here, I find that hitting these with some speed is the best way to go. I usually speed up and then stand and coast over the bridge, letting the bike move around underneath me as the tires kind of wander back and forth.
Sounds like my brother-in-law's old Isuzu Rodeo going over a bridge in Virginia when he lived out there. I rode with him over that bridge a couple times and we did feel like we were moving back & forth a bit. He said it felt like that every time he went over the bridge.
Old 09-17-20, 03:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4741 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Grippy rubber and quality flexy sidewalls help a lot, regardless of the width. In the wet especially. I rode a mile long grated bridge (no grade, just flat over an estuary) in a race on racing silks. It had started raining an hour before; first rain in weeks. A little more traction than ice but not much. Thank you, winter riding skills!

Ben
Old 09-17-20, 03:17 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Sounds like my brother-in-law's old Isuzu Rodeo going over a bridge in Virginia when he lived out there. I rode with him over that bridge a couple times and we did feel like we were moving back & forth a bit. He said it felt like that every time he went over the bridge.
I notice that wiggle back and forth when I drive over these bridges in my car too.

The other unnerving feeling is if you're ever stopped on one, and they start bouncing from cars/trucks/busses going the other way. The whole car is bouncing up and down. Kind of freaky.
Old 09-17-20, 03:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,578 Posts
Just be grateful they used something to cover up the hole.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-17-20, 03:22 PM
oldnslo

Bikes: Most have two wheels, some have one, some have a very large front wheel and tiny rear wheel.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Know your bridge, know your tires, know your limits.
Old 09-17-20, 04:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
255/45r20.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-17-20, 07:41 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 251 Posts
I've been going over a similar steel bridge grate down on the South end of Amelia island with 700c x 25mm Continental Gatorskin tires with no problem. One thing I've learned is to install the best vinyl rim tape & heavy duty tubes you can find. Make sure you have good rims, rim tape, tubes &, tires before going out on rough ****. Be good. Have fun.
Old 09-17-20, 08:08 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
700x23 no-handed with no problem.
I realize bike handling skills are a thing of the past though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.