Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge Explore or Explore 2.0

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Garmin Edge Explore or Explore 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24, 10:41 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1967 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Worldwide maps are free for the current generation Edge devices, but paid for prior generation devices.

I've used a 1200km gpx file on the Explore 2. It was very slow to load but it worked.

Any function these GPS devices can perform, a phone can perform 10x better. The GPS units have horribly slow calculator level processors. Their only advantage is all day battery life with the screen on. With a phone, you have to keep the screen off and wake it up every time you need it, which can get annoying on convoluted roads.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Yan; 01-17-24 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-17-24, 11:19 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
hi PD, I very quickly looked at rwgps, and it appears that one needs the premium account to split a route into parts.
Is this the case?
Yes, it's a premium feature.

You can edit routes to split them in without a subscription. That works OK for shorter routes but would be a chore for longer routes that you want to split into many segments. Paying $7 (for a month) to do this would probably be worth it.

Note that you might find routes on RWGP that are already split.

Originally Posted by djb
If so, I'll look into if one can activate and deactivate an account on a monthly basis,...
Yes, you can pay monthly.

Last edited by njkayaker; 01-17-24 at 12:17 PM.
Old 01-17-24, 11:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Thanks all for the details, makes things clearer. I'll try to remember to come back here in the spring.
and I'm sure all this will help the person asking about this and their intended spring Europe trip
Old 01-19-24, 07:32 AM
djb

rob63, I'm sure you are doing as I did last year, looking into and reading as much as I can about various gps options, models etc. One thing you will have seen is the solar options that have been out a year or two now. I thought they were pretty neat, but waaaay more than I wanted to pay to basically dip my toe into this gps world, so not even a consideration.
I know garmin brought the technology down from the top model to the mid one (I think Im right with this) but while the top one here in Canada is at least 1000, the next one down is still a good 600 maybe?
Ive seen and read some reports of user reports of the solar one, and it does work, I guess all my comment is that I imagine in a few years the trickle down thing will happen and it may become more common in lower priced models.
When, who knows, but for now, the plug in only models are pretty good for a trip like you are planning. Especially with 10, 15, 20,000 milliamp battery banks so available and affordable, and the relative ease of charging them once in a while on a trip like yours shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, I wanted to mention the easily available bolt on mounts for garmin (and others) gps units, the type that extend out from your bars. You can find a lot of them and can help with putting them in a better spot for viewing and a less busy handlebar area.
Mine was about 20 bucks I think, just watch out that as one can change the orientation of the actual mount part, the small circle thing that the gps actually clicks into, there are two small hex key bolts there (to remove and change the orientation if you want) and these should be tightened properly.
I hadnt really noticed these and both vibrated loose on rough terrain, losing one but luckily one stayed in place, working well enough when tightened properly.
Just a heads up if you get one of these.
The explore 2 I got comes with a mount that attaches to your bars using two strong elastics, works, but I wanted something different.
Old 01-19-24, 08:41 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
rob63,

The explore 2 I got comes with a mount that attaches to your bars using two strong elastics, works, but I wanted something different.
Look on Amazon under Garmin Edge Mounts. There are a bunch if varieties, including more robust out front designs, as well as models that attach to the top stem front plate bolts, or models that go under the stem top bolt and that put the device directly over the stem.

Last edited by Steve B.; 01-19-24 at 11:29 AM.
Old 01-19-24, 10:23 AM
djb

I got a rather robust out front one, which I like and will get another same one. My issue was my fault, I hadn't looked and seen the two little bolts and checked if tight

like I said, when my Garmin fell off when both twist mount bolts loosened (but the safety loop I always loop around my bars saved it) , I lost one bolt, but the one left held the twist mount secure over days of continuing single and double track riding.
Old 01-21-24, 12:27 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,807 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Version 2.0 addresses many of the perceived shortcomings in the original. Unless you are really short of cash, go for the 2.0. Deals can often be found. It is worth checking biketiresdirect.com frequently.
Old 01-21-24, 03:50 AM
djb

Nice of you to add this sale price.