Old 05-25-22, 10:20 AM
Lorbeer54

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Med coast or inland through Tuscany?

Dear all,
we are planning to bike from Pisa to Rome and are wondering what is best: the coastal road along the mediterranean or the inland route through Siena and the hills of Tuscany. We will be biking in August so expect it to be hot...would appreciate any advice.
Sarah
Old 06-10-22, 09:11 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/cycling-path/
Old 10-11-22, 10:37 AM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
I am from West Coast opposite where you want to bike originally. The coast is MOBBED in August if you're right on the actual coast full of seaside resort towns. Inland is better but you'll be climbing a lot more. It's going to be HOT regardless. Beware bike theft. If you're in a group or with a spouse have one of you be next to bikes. I know people that went to like a bar to get a capuccino turned around 30 seconds and their bike was gone. Others they just saw someone try to load it into a van or car the moment they turn around!

My experience regarding Toscana is inland but given the touristy nature of West Coast I wouldn't want to be on a coast in the summer. Toscana is gorgeous inland, one of the most beautiful regions in the entire country. I love la Val D'Orcia right around Pienza, Montepulciano, Siena and San Quirico D'Orcia. Very much biked. I suggest gravel bike vs road it gives you more options because once you get into countryside getting lost is the best thing you can do. The best restaurants and the little mom and pop grocery shops with super fresh locally grown products are all on top of hills that you take those strade bianche to reach (gravel roads). Many times you get detours, many other times your Garmin tells you to perform a 6 mile 16% climb only to be told "TURN AROUND" at the top. It's impossible to tell if a road is asphalted or gravel from google maps so in my experience I just shipped a gravel bike to Italy to use when I'm visiting the fam. But being from coast I prefer inland because to me that's where the true treasures lie. And I prefer not having a route. Not all who wander are lost. Especially in the Italian countryside as the cycling allows you to stuff your face with anything you want and still lose weight. The hills help with this and Toscana is one of the best food regions although most regions really knock it out of the park if you eat authentic which is becoming more challenging.

Also one final reason for avoiding the seaside is because while Toscana is a bit touristy, it's high end tourism so the restaurants are mostly still pretty good. The cancer of nouveau cuisine has hit Italy unfortunately the last 1-2 years with all those disgusting sweet sacues and syrups and grease. Looks good, tastes.... sweet, bad and not authentic. See that's the problem. The best restaurants in Italy are better than ever, but the likelyhood you will find a REALLY GOOD place is less than the past due to commercialization, selling out and all the typical 21st century bull crap. This is more in mass tourism places and inland Toscana is not mass tourism, too pricey. Again it's less the more inland and more remote places you go, better in those you've never heard of and can only find without a route if you get hopelessly lost and chance upon the place. Like I said, to eat the best (and most) climb the 16% grade gravel roads for your prize.

Last edited by Attilio; 10-11-22 at 10:49 AM.