Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake recomendations

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Brake recomendations

Old 05-09-13, 09:16 PM
jerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brake recomendations

Hello. I have a '94 tandem frame and am looking to replace its 1998 center pull cantilever brakes.
As disc is not an option due to the frame not being compatible for it, what type of a brakeset recommendation would you make to be good for this 700cc tandem with 27mm tires?
Stoker is 135# and I'm 165#.
Thanks for any help!
Old 05-09-13, 11:13 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Magura HS 33 . a/the.. hydraulic rim brake that mounts on V/cantilever bosses. German made.
Old 05-09-13, 11:23 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Magura

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Magura HS 33 . a/the.. hydraulic rim brake that mounts on V/cantilever bosses. German made.
Thanks. So, do you know if these are readily available and do you any idea what it would cost to get these? Would they be markedly better than Avid's?
Thanks again
Old 05-10-13, 06:04 AM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jerman
Thanks. So, do you know if these are readily available and do you any idea what it would cost to get these? Would they be markedly better than Avid's?
Thanks again
There are several hydraulic rim brake products on the market that can be ordered.

Probably the bigger question is whether you have drop or flat bars, as I don't believe that there are drop-bar lever options for them.

Is there a particular reason you're getting rid of the existing brakes? I just installed a set of Tektro CR720's on my 1991 Cannondale tandem, and I can bring the bike to a dead stop from 20MPH in a little more than the width of a suburban driveway. If you're just not interested in traditional canti's for some reason, there's always the option of mini v-brakes.
Old 05-10-13, 06:31 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
My wife and I have 1989 and 1992 Burley's and have "V" or linear pull brakes on them if you will. Ours are mid level Shimano but newer Tektros would work as well. Roger
Old 05-10-13, 09:00 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If you have "brifters" and want to use V-brakes (BTW, I recommend Avid SD-7's) you will need "Travel Agents" to get the right cable pull. If you have plain brake levers, they can easily and inexpensively be changed for Tektro RL-520 levers which are directly V-brake compatible.
Old 05-10-13, 09:34 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
If you have "brifters" and want to use V-brakes (BTW, I recommend Avid SD-7's) you will need "Travel Agents" to get the right cable pull. If you have plain brake levers, they can easily and inexpensively be changed for Tektro RL-520 levers which are directly V-brake compatible.
That's certainly the most common and probably the most cost effective option.
Old 05-10-13, 09:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Think the set is about $230 .. Magura USA is in Olney Ill. their Disc Brakes are Popular,
In Europe HS33 are a common brake .. acidfast7 says they are , in Frankfurt at least.

I got a Trekking Bike with them On It. work Great.
Old 05-10-13, 11:42 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Are you using salmon cool stop pads?
Old 05-10-13, 11:52 AM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mulveyr
There are several hydraulic rim brake products on the market that can be ordered.
Probably the bigger question is whether you have drop or flat bars, as I don't believe that there are drop-bar lever options for them. Is there a particular reason you're getting rid of the existing brakes? I just installed a set of Tektro CR720's on my 1991 Cannondale tandem, and I can bring the bike to a dead stop from 20MPH in a little more than the width of a suburban driveway. If you're just not interested in traditional canti's for some reason, there's always the option of mini v-brakes.
Ditto on the Tektro c720's. They are attractive, stiff, stop well and the hardware is beautiful. Even better if swap in KoolStop combo pads (half salmon, half black). Find the brakes on ebay in a bundle for both front and rear - Often for under $30 (higher priced elsewhere or sold only as singles which drives up cost). A real performer at a bargin price. They will stop as well as original MAFAC tandem canti's, don't stick out as much, and are much better looking. The sets I bought were glossy almond/beige arms with buffed alloy/billet bits. Look good on must color bikes.

Get the shoes with replaceable pads on Amazon. Look for the long ones with dual color pads and threaded posts -- get them here;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Extra pads there also, get them here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

/K

Last edited by ksisler; 05-10-13 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-10-13, 12:40 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the replies. After talking to the mechanic at the bike shop some more, I have a set of top of the line Avid brakes coming in. These are supposed to be used by cyclecross racers and have great stopping power. Never know when may be in the mountains and have a shower break out, so want maximum stopping with wet rims. Sounds like these should do well, hope so for $220.. Thanks again