Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Brain activity while commuting: zoned out or day dreaming?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-14, 08:32 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Its funny but I find that on my commute into work, I find that I am thinking about and composing my entry for the "How was your commute today?" thread while on the bike.

What about you?
Old 08-29-14, 08:47 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards
Its funny but I find that on my commute into work, I find that I am thinking about and composing my entry for the "How was your commute today?" thread while on the bike.

What about you?
I too also think about composing posts, particularly on my long Saturday rides for the thread, "Metro Boston: Good ride today?," for example this most recent.

On routine commutes, it's often work related.
Old 08-29-14, 08:55 AM
skins_brew

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have come close to riding into a very busy intersection due to day dreaming. I am much more aware after that little scare
Old 08-29-14, 09:19 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by jrickards

What about you?
In jest- paraphrasing some of our brother posters who believe that cycling cannot be done safely unless it is done on a perfectly equipped and operated man-machine:

OMG! Not devoting all 5 senses and every thought process 100% of the time to the rocket science-like complexity of riding a bicycle? Doncha know you might die! Haven't you heard about Darwin!

BTW, I listen to audio books when I ride, thinking about BF would be distracting.
Old 08-29-14, 09:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
In jest- paraphrasing some of our brother posters who believe that cycling cannot be done safely unless it is done on a perfectly equipped and operated man-machine:

OMG! Not devoting all 5 senses and every thought process 100% of the time to the rocket science-like complexity of riding a bicycle? Doncha know you might die! Haven't you heard about Darwin!

BTW, I listen to audio books when I ride, thinking about BF would be distracting.
I-L-T-B,

Since I encounter you on many threads I read on various Forums, may I ask what kind of riding do you do? Commuting? training? meandering?

I describe myself as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian (mostly in-training); formerly a tourist, including a cross-country ride.

JfB

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 08-29-14 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-29-14, 09:52 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I zone out at times but mostly I keep an ear out for traffic and my eyes open for debris along the highway.

In the morning, when there is less traffic, I will ride in the highway (off the shoulder) when I can. There's almost never any junk in the lanes. I count on hearing traffic approach from behind and often look back anyway to be sure. When they are coming I move back onto the shoulder with the miscellaneous junk such as shredded radial tires and the resultant tiny metal pieces that flatten bicycle tires.

I know if I get hit by someone I will die as they will be doing at least 60mph if not 75mph. So it behooves me to pay attention.

In the afternoon there is way too much traffic to bother getting into the lane. Then I am more likely to mentally drift though there is still the debris to watch out for -- but I'm pretty sure I do both simutaneously.
Old 08-29-14, 10:18 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
I tend to be more aware of what I'm doing and the environment, but I think that comes from being a biker for so many years before I resumed bicycling again.
Old 08-29-14, 10:54 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I live in L.A......No daydreaming for me,I'll die.

I save the daydreaming for touring in the desert or out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 08-29-14, 11:10 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
My commute is mostly on roads and MUP's through a state park that bisects the city, past a reservoir and its dam.. Right now my commute is well past dawn so there's no wildlife about, and the sky is clear. It's pretty but it's the same pretty every day. It's boring but it beats driving. I listen to the news. It's better in spring and autumn.
Old 08-29-14, 11:14 AM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I often think about where I'm going to ride after work or at the end of the week "just for fun". I'm fortunate to ride exclusively on back country roads at 4-4:30 in the morning where there's next to no traffic (occasionally I'll come across a tractor or a lost traveler)
Old 08-29-14, 11:25 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I-L-T-B,

Since I encounter you on many threads I read on various Forums, may I ask what kind of riding do you do? Commuting? training? meandering?

I describe myself as a decades-long, year-round commuter and occasional centurian (mostly in-training); formerly a tourist, including a cross-country ride.

JfB
As a youth, daily to include all areas of Philadelphia until the day I turned 16.
As an adult mostly as a commuter to work as well as using bike for transportation about town (though not as some sort of LCF ideologue since I almost always owned a car), to include 6 years in Philadelphia, 2 years in Oregon, 10 years in Germany, and 12 years in Illinois/Iowa. The last 2 years (happily retired) for daily rides to the gym/swimming pool for back stretching exercise and local shopping and utility trips (library, post office,bank, etc.) Also included in the past work life, 1 year of cycle meandering in relatively confined work locations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I've been around and find numerous "advice" posts from some BF posters to be so provincial as to be laughable.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 08-29-14 at 12:44 PM. Reason: cleanup typos
Old 08-29-14, 11:36 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I listen to the news. It's better in spring and autumn.
Curious. I hadn't noticed the news being seasonal as you say.

My mind will sometimes wander, especially if something big is going on at home or work or whatever. And yes, sometimes I see something that I note to myself that I should put this on the forum.
Old 08-29-14, 11:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
As a youth, daily to include all areas of Philadelphia until the day I turned 16.
As an adult mostly as a commuter to work as well as using bike for transportation about town (though not as some sort of LCF ideologue since I almost always owned a car), to include 6 years in Philadelphia, 2 years in Oregon, 10 years in Germany, and 12 years in Illinois/Iowa. The last 2 years (happily retired) for daily rides to the gym/swimming pool for back stretching exercise and local shopping and utility trips (library, post office,bank, etc.) Also included in the past work life, 1 year of cycle meandering in relatively confined work locations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I've been around and find numerous "advice" posts from some BF posters to be so provincial as to be laughable.Formerly a daily commuter including
Hi I-L-T-B,

Thanks for that reply; quite a wealth of experience. This July a subscriber on the Fifty-Plus Forum, rtool (Dick) came to Boston for the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Forum Ride, and I tried to give him some "advice.":

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I had promised myself as I did last year, that I would not take the participants out onto the streets of Boston, since I live downtown…

As mentioned, Dick had come with a low-riding recumbent trike, from Fairborn, Ohio, small, probably rural town I imagined, and now at the end of the Path we were facing the busy mean streets of downtown Boston at rush hour….Dick, as he was during the entire weekend, said “Fine, you lead the way.”

So we made our way, mostly on crowded sidewalks with some hazardous street crossings. Eventually I had to give up and go onto the streets. Dick had no problems with street riding, and actually seemed to prefer it. Later on he said it’s really no problem, and has cycled streets around the world such as Munich and London, so I realized, “What’s Boston?”…

…Finally he revealed that he is a certified Cycling Instructor by the League of American Cyclists and taught safe, including urban, cycling to adults and children. As a decades-long, year-round urban cyclist, I proudly told him I learned by experience, and he replied, “It shows. You made some mistakes out there.”
Old 08-29-14, 12:16 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As a professional driver I always make it a conscious to stay focused when on the road, it just naturally carries over to when I'm riding a bike or motorcycle. The rare occasion that I drive a car I'm super focused because they are death traps.
Old 08-29-14, 12:20 PM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sometimes zone out a bit, but a close pass or hitting a pothole brings me back
Old 08-29-14, 12:22 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think of blog posts or journal entries during the ride. I forget about them once I am home.
Old 08-29-14, 12:38 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I constantly struggle to keep bicycling as one of the few activities that force me to live in the moment. Years ago, when I was building a website of good local bikeways, I ruined just about every ride stopping to jot down notes or take photos every few minutes. And then, once I got back on the bike, all I could think about was how I was going to word the paragraph about the last section of bikeway or roadway I had just ridden. The same used to happen when I first got involved in these forums. Every minute of every ride was devoted to thinking about how I was going to write about it later.

Now, when I commute, I play music (over a speaker, at a very reasonable level, so don't pounce on me) and I focus on interacting with the drivers, walkers, and other cyclists around me, sort of acting as an ambassador for cyclists. Now that I no longer have time to ride all the cool bikeways around the country, I regret that I hadn't enjoyed them fully while I was on them. But I make sure to experience every sight, sound, and smell along my route to work every day.
Old 08-29-14, 01:43 PM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Now, when I commute, I play music (over a speaker, at a very reasonable level, so don't pounce on me) ...
Last year, I participated in a 2-day/2-metric century event and there was a guy riding a recumbent that had speakers on the handlebar right in front of him, I thought that was cool (besides seeing a recumbent for the first time).
Old 08-29-14, 02:55 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I am so used to riding everywhere that my brain seems to know when to "tune in" a bit more vs stay more spaced out, it's kinda like laying awake with eyes closed, you can sense everything, but you're off in your own lil world. When i really need to hunker down & climb a hill at speed or if i'm redlining, my brain sharply focuses everything onto that effort, without me needing to consciously change my frame of mind. I am really fortunate that my brain seems to work like this, as it has definitely saved me numerous times from errant motorists, massive road holes, and even being caught in a freak hail storm.

- Andy
Old 08-29-14, 03:04 PM
troglobyker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Half of my commute is in the early evening where I am pretty vigilante watching for traffic and the other half is usually after 2 am with fairly empty roads. So I end up zoning out a lot while riding until I hit that pothole or run over that a stick. Then I just get upset with myself for not paying more attention.
Old 08-29-14, 03:51 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Too many dangers lurking around. I try to stay focused and alert. Just few days ago I was almost hit by a car in the parking lot of my apartment building. The only thing that prevented me from being hit was my very fast reflex.
Old 08-29-14, 04:05 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Booger1
I live in L.A......No daydreaming for me,I'll die.

I save the daydreaming for touring in the desert or out in the middle of nowhere.
I'm from L.A. and commuted a lot ....... still to scared to daydream. And where I live now they think we have traffic- - - NOT.
Old 08-29-14, 04:24 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Brain activity while commuting?

I rarely have brain activity period.
Old 08-31-14, 10:28 AM
Todzilla

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 5 105, Peugeot PX-10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Writing songs.
Old 08-31-14, 01:58 PM
mustridebikes

Bikes: Novara Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm actually studying for my next licensure exam (EPPP) while riding. I passed my last (National Counselor's Exam) test in November 2013 after about 4 months of riding listening to audio study materials, hopefully it works on this next test!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.