Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid/Comfort bike with wide tires?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-16, 07:00 PM
ScubaGuy71

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I'm looking to get a bike in order to get a little exercise (I don't enjoy walking).

I went to a LBS and looked at the bikes they offered. They let me ride a Fuji Crosstown 2.3 17.5" around a bit and I liked the bike, except the skinny skinny tires, which were 700x35mm, if I remember correctly.

I've been researching other Hybrid bikes online, and keep finding the same or even narrower (700x32) tires.

I like the idea of a Hybrid bike, as far as the upright riding position and shocks, but I think I would be much happier with a bike with wider tires. The main reason I say that is I have ridden my girlfriend's bike which is a LBS branded "comfort bike" with 26"x1.95" tires. I felt much more comfortable as far as stability on the wider tires.

So, I finally found what seems like it might be an ideal bike; a Fuji Monterey 2.0, unfortunately, they haven't been made since 2008. And it doesn't seem like they made many of them, because I can't find any for sale used. It's listed as having 700x50c tires, which I'm thinking is about 28"x2"? Here's a link to the bike: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2008&brand=Fuji&model=Monterey+2.0

Can anyone reccommend other models (new or used) that would have a similar design to the Monterey 2.0?

Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong category of bikes?

A bit about me, I'm 44, 6'2" 280#, with short legs for my height, 31" inseam. We will mostly be riding the bike around various campgrounds, so imagine everything from pavement to dirt, but not rough trails. I'm mainly doing this so I can lose some weight, I quit smoking 3.5 years ago, and just can't keep from gaining weight, so I need to get some exercise. Comfort and stability are the most important qualities I'm looking for, I think.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Douglas
Old 07-25-16, 08:11 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
What about the Trek Dual Sport or Specialized Crosstrail and ask the local bike store to swap tires for wider ones when you purchase? Most stores would be willing to do this.
Old 07-25-16, 08:55 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
If Raleigh is still making comfort bikes, it would be worth looking into. The 26" wheels may be extinct tho.
I'm much smaller than you, but also enjoy the 26x1.95 tires. Very nice on rail trails & campgrounds.
It's been said that suspension forks on inexpensive bikes do not hold up very long, so keep that in mind.

Congrats on being smoke-free Douglas. Huge accomplishment there! (I stopped Dec 7th 1987)
Old 07-26-16, 08:17 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ask the shop if the existing rims can handle wider tires. Even 700x40 feel very stable on gravel trails, including patches of soft sand mixed with pea gravel where skinny tires can plow in and jerk around. My 622x19 rims are nominally spec'd for up to 700x38 but can handle 700x40 easily, and probably go a little wider.

My bike is a comfort hybrid similar to those you're considering. After several flats last year I switched from the original 700x38 tires to more puncture resistant 700x40 with a grippy chevron pattern all terrain tread that still rolls well on pavement. The tires are heavy but I'm not fast anyway and can manage a 12 mph average pace for hours now that I'm back into fairly good shape. And with the better tires I feel confident exploring gravel trails, although I don't ride fast or do any stunts -- I just don't want to fall down.

One of my usual routes includes an odd shortcut to get from the city street to the local MUP. I have to cut alongside a railroad access which is filled with those typical railroad style sharp edged chunks of gravel about the size of charcoal briquettes. That stuff is about as challenging to ride as anything I've found, but with the right tire pressure the bike feels very stable and secure.

The trick for me was to experiment with tire pressure to suit my weight, speed, riding style and terrain. Michelin suggests 75 psi for my weight (160 lbs) but the bike feels much more stable with the front at 50-55 psi and rear at 60-65 psi. It's a good compromise for paved road and unpaved trails. No problems with pinch flats or unusual wear. And I can keep up with a casual group ride pace a couple of times a month, usually loafing comfortably at the back of the pack with fellow loafers.

To get a significantly more stable ride off road and mixed terrain I'd probably need to consider a fat bike, but I'm satisfied with my comfort hybrid set up the way it is now.
Old 07-26-16, 09:28 AM
Korax

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roll Sport Step Thru, 2020 Trek Verve+ 2 Low Step

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Check out the Roll
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...FUFahgod_kkHAQ

2.3" Tires. Upright riding position. Check the Roll thread on this forum too.

Last edited by Korax; 07-26-16 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-26-16, 10:03 AM
RTbar

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Korax
Check out the Roll
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...FUFahgod_kkHAQ

2.3" Tires. Upright riding position. Check the Roll thread on this forum too.
Or the crossroads, 700x45 tires

That new roll X1 sure it sweet
Old 07-26-16, 11:11 AM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This bike would be perfect for what you are looking for.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...2/26022/92782/
Old 07-26-16, 02:34 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are many bikes around with 700x38 to 40 width tires.
You might want to check out some 29er bikes also , they are wider tired 700 series wheel bikes.
I have a Giant Roam 3 which comes with 700x40 tires stock.
Curiously , my owners manual states max weight rider 300 lbs and 25 lbs luggage , total.
It's nice to know what the specs really are.
The Trek DS comes with 700x38 tires like this one.
8.2 DS | Trek Bikes
The Blue looks fantastic.
Here's a 29er by Giant.
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...specifications
My friend rides a Trek Police , he's about 6'2" and 290 lbs , works for him pretty well , it's a 29er.
Ride a few , the rider position varies quite a bit , you'll know it when it's right for you.
The front suspension bikes tend to have higher handlebar heights than most hybrid type bikes.
Mick
Old 07-27-16, 08:03 AM
DGibson

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp XL 2016 Fuji Absolute 1.9 XXL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenBiker
If Raleigh is still making comfort bikes, it would be worth looking into. The 26" wheels may be extinct tho.
(I stopped Dec 7th 1987)
Raleigh is still making comfort bikes, they have three models in the Venture line to choose from. My wife and I recently purchased two Venture 4.0 bikes.

You are correct as far as I know, the LBS mentioned that the 26" tires are a thing of the past for these types of bikes but the 27.5 wheels are very comfortable and the wide tires do greatly cushion the road bumps.

All the major brands have really nice comfort bikes, I really liked the Cannondale Adventure 1.0 but the twist grip shifters were a turn off for me. I like the "lazy shifters" (trigger shifter) on my Raleigh.
Old 07-27-16, 08:58 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
I would recommend looking for a used Surly Karate Monkey (with gears.....they were sold as single-speeds but many owners put gears on them), Ogre or Troll. All you would need to do is add street tires (50mm Big Apples work great) and you would have a very comfortable and stable bike.
Old 07-27-16, 01:08 PM
therealjoeblow

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 1 | 2002 Giant Sedona LX | 1980s Norco Monterey SL

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out the Giant Sedona. I have an older one from about 2002 with over 7500 kms on it, and I bought my wife one last year. The newer ones aren't quite as good spec wise as the older ones because 10+ years ago there was less competition and the comfort bikes were more niche and therefore a little better appointed. But that said, the 2015 model is still excellent. 26x1.95 Kenda K892 tires are stock, they are non-agressive minimal tread and great for roads and paths.

I think you would like the Sedona. It's an extremely comfortable bike, in the Comfort Mountain Bike category, kind of the sister category to hybrids, but typically with a bit more rugged frame, and slightly wider tires stock.

Cheers TRJB

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 07-27-16 at 01:13 PM.