Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Route ideas through Philadelphia

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 06-08-17, 08:36 PM
madsen89

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone have any route suggestions between Trenton and Wilmington that provide a good compromise between good scenery, less traffic, and shorter distance?
Old 06-08-17, 10:38 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madsen89
Does anyone have any route suggestions between Trenton and Wilmington that provide a good compromise between good scenery, less traffic, and shorter distance?
Which Trenton? There's one in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.... And I assume Wilmington, Delaware? I would suggest you try the regional section of the forum. You may be able to reach more users who live in the NE part of the USA.

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast/
Old 06-09-17, 06:09 AM
madsen89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Trenton, NJ to Wilmington, DE which is, from my perspective, mostly just Philadelphia. I'll give the other forum a shot. Just hoping to get a touring perspective since I'll be on tour at the time.
Old 06-09-17, 07:02 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
If you don't get an answer here contact someone on warmshowers. Ridewithgps shows nothing ideal. All surface streets. There may be no other options through Philadelphia.
Old 06-09-17, 07:13 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Check out East Coast Greenway, perhaps.

East Coast Greenway » Maps and Cue Sheets
Old 06-09-17, 07:15 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
I live in Philly.

It's a roundabout way, but from Trenton, take the D&R Feeder Canal Path (good, crushed limestone surface) to Lambertville, NJ then follow Adventure Cycling's Atlantic Coast route to Conshohocken, PA and then take the spur into Philadelphia. (I am leaving for a tour out west next week, but if I can find the time I could map the L'Ville to Philly portion for you.)

Don't know of any good options from Philly to Wilmington. There is the East Coast Greenway (East Coast Greenway), but, IMO the part through PA mostly sucks as it passes parts of Philly with heavy street traffic and through places like Eddystone, Chester and Marcus Hook using roads that can be very busy. PA 291 isn't called "Industrial Highway" for no good reason.

Where are you ultimately heading? If further south, why choose somewhere like Wilmington or even Trenton? The ACA route mentioned above goes from Maine to Florida. The parts in NJ, starting near Port Jervis, NY, are wonderful and include the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. In Philipsburg, NJ, you could stray over to Easton, PA and take the D&L canal path to New Hope, PA, which is across the river from L'Ville, although I prefer the roads, and the trail starting in Frenchtown, NJ, to the PA side.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-09-17 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-09-17, 02:21 PM
madsen89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I live in Philly.

Where are you ultimately heading? If further south, why choose somewhere like Wilmington or even Trenton? The ACA route mentioned above goes from Maine to Florida. The parts in NJ, starting near Port Jervis, NY, are wonderful and include the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. In Philipsburg, NJ, you could stray over to Easton, PA and take the D&L canal path to New Hope, PA, which is across the river from L'Ville, although I prefer the roads, and the trail starting in Frenchtown, NJ, to the PA side.
This is the second half of a two-part tour that starts in Trenton and I am ultimately heading west from there to Martinsburg, WV where I will catch the train home to Chicago. What about generally following the ECG Route in NJ until the Ben Franklin Bridge. Cross the river there and continue on the ECG until well into MD where it turns south. At which point I would continue west to WV. My only requirements are that I ride in NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, and WV.
Old 06-09-17, 10:28 PM
CocoRibe

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you are in Lambertville, head to Doylestown, about 10 miles. From there you can take the rout 202 bike path toward the city. When the 202 Trail ends, you can take the Wissahickon Trail to Forbidden Drive. Forbidden Drive will take you to the Schulykill River Trail. That can take you into the city or west out into the countryside. All these trails are easy to find in Google Maps. It's not a direct line, but it's a pretty ride with mostly little traffic through an otherwise very populated area.

Heading dead south from Philadelphia will be a drag, like the other poster said. Heading west on the Schuklykill Trail will take you to Pheinixville and then into farm country pretty fast. South of the city is densely populated with busy roads that are no fun in a bike. Head west young man!

Also, you can go Phenoxville-Lancaster-Gettysburg-Hagerstown MD, then to the C&O Trail. That's a fun and pretty ride.

Last edited by CocoRibe; 06-09-17 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-10-17, 03:50 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by CocoRibe
When the 202 Trail ends, you can take the Wissahickon Trail to Forbidden Drive.
Wut?
Old 06-10-17, 03:55 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by madsen89
What about generally following the ECG Route in NJ until the Ben Franklin Bridge. Cross the river there and continue on the ECG until well into MD where it turns south. At which point I would continue west to WV. My only requirements are that I ride in NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, and WV.
Not familiar with the ECG in NJ, but as noted, the ECG south of Philly into Wilmington sucks big time unless you like riding on busy highways. I certainly would not do it during a weekday.
Old 06-10-17, 07:23 AM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts
tough route, most of it will be an urban experience. Not sure if staying in NJ until the Ben Franklkin Bridge would be much fun either. From Philly to Wilmington, Take Baltimore Avenue from West Philly and then follow route 13. As others mentioned it will take you through Chester, Markus Hook, etc.
Old 06-10-17, 08:22 AM
CocoRibe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yea, it's just little road rides from Trail to Trail, and there're nice roads for the most part.
Old 06-10-17, 06:43 PM
madsen89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
tough route
the ECG south of Philly into Wilmington sucks big time
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Not sure if staying in NJ until the Ben Franklkin Bridge would be much fun either
Originally Posted by CocoRibe
Heading dead south from Philadelphia will be a drag,
Don't know of any good options from Philly to Wilmington.
Sensing a trend.

With this feedback, I've come up with a different plan. Backtrack a bit to Lambertville to pick up the ACA Atlantic Coast Route. Follow that to the BicyclePA -
Route L
. Take that south to DE where I pick up the proposed USBR 1 to Newark, DE. From there take DE273 to MD.
Old 06-10-17, 06:58 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Do your homework on the PA bike route. Our routes are notoriously poor. Almost like someone that does not ride put them together.
Old 06-10-17, 07:46 PM
CocoRibe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Do your homework on the PA bike route. Our routes are notoriously poor. Almost like someone that does not ride put them together.
Agreed. The PA bike routs are bizarre.
Old 06-10-17, 09:07 PM
madsen89

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker
Thanks for the heads up. I did a little research and found this favorable review:Bike Route L Review

So, looks like this section should be OK.