Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBD - Too Much Trek - Domane SLR UDi2 - ICON "Molten Marble"

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-20, 08:51 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is the smart move to go SL6 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit, and pick whatever wheels you like? And sell the take-offs..
Maybe for some but not for me. The last thing I want to do my brand new bike is rip it apart and try to do a Di2 install then deal with trying to sell the take-off parts. Plus, while I do most of my own work (outside of wheels) I've never dealt with a Di2 system and though I'm sure I could figure it out this isn't the bike I want to learn on. And being my only bike I don't want to take it out of service while I figure everything out.
Old 01-27-20, 05:34 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I like a lot of what the Domane offers. One question though, I looked up the SL6 vs SL7, which have list price difference of $2200? Looks like the wheelset difference adds $800, and Di2 Ultegra (vs. Std Ultegra) is adding the other $1400?

Is the smart move to go SL6 and just get a Di2 upgrade kit, and pick whatever wheels you like? And sell the take-offs..
SkepticalOne's bike is the SLR7, not the SL7. First the frames are different the SLR 7 has the 700 Series OCLV Carbon, which is their ultralight version. There is at least a significant weight difference. Second, this frame has the adjustable rear ISO coupler which the SL series don't have. Third, the handlebars are carbon vs aluminum. Fourth, he gets Bontrager R3's tires vs R2's (much more supple tire and lighter). Last, he gets the option of Project One withe fancy paint work.

Your point about the difference between the SL6 and 7 is certainly something to think about. Is it worth the price difference? Each individual will have to answer that themselves. I have the SL6 and thought about making it a 7 with new wheels and Di2 but in the end, it will never be what I should have purchased in the first place, the SLR9 but could live with SLR7.

Congratulations to all those who are buying new bikes.
Old 01-27-20, 06:05 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by August West
Maybe for some but not for me. The last thing I want to do my brand new bike is rip it apart and try to do a Di2 install then deal with trying to sell the take-off parts. Plus, while I do most of my own work (outside of wheels) I've never dealt with a Di2 system and though I'm sure I could figure it out this isn't the bike I want to learn on. And being my only bike I don't want to take it out of service while I figure everything out.
You could do this at the dealer at time of sale, or take your time with it when you'd want to (or to make sure you really want to spend that extra money). The point is, there's seemingly no incremental incentive benefit (value per your dollar) to buying the upper level SL7.
Old 01-27-20, 06:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by blakcloud
SkepticalOne's bike is the SLR7, not the SL7.
Thanks, I realized that -- sorry I went a bit OT. I did look at the SLR6 vs SLR7 too, a bit pricey, but at least the $1k difference between these 2 models at least makes sense, though in this case the only difference is the Di2.
EDIT: Noticing with the SLR7 that they charge $500 extra for the same paint colors that are stock on the SLR6..

Last edited by Sy Reene; 01-27-20 at 06:36 AM.
Old 01-27-20, 06:17 AM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
You could do this at the dealer at time of sale, or take your time with it when you'd want to (or to make sure you really want to spend that extra money). The point is, there's seemingly no incremental incentive benefit (value per your dollar) to buying the upper level SL7.
I think you're maybe saving something on the acquisition of the wheels, again to those for whom it matters. Agree it doesn't jump out as much of a bargain if you're willing to build-up yourself.
Old 01-27-20, 06:37 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I like a lot of what the Domane offers. One question though, I looked up the SL6 vs SL7, which have list price difference of $2200? Looks like the wheelset difference adds $800, and Di2 Ultegra (vs. Std Ultegra) is adding the other $1400?

If you're going to replace almost everything of consequence, why even buy the SL6? If you can find a paint job that you like, you might as well get an SL4 (which doesn't cost much more than a frameset) or SL5. It's doubtful that the difference in proceeds from selling the take-offs will justify the the difference in purchase price when jumping to the Ultegra model.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-10-20, 01:50 PM
Scania123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Trek estimated 20 days to ship so I'm hoping it will get to my dealer by the first week in Feb. or the week after. Can't hardly wait. Picked up an Ion 200 RT/Flare RT light set to replace my current lights that are much larger and heavier. They look a lot more sleek with the Ion 200 RT mounted under my K-Edge combo mount and when the bike gets here I will be able to mount the Flare RT directly to the set post knuckle and lose my saddle bag completely which will be nice.
Has your new bike arrived yet? If so, have you noticed any significant difference in comfort between the SL and SLR framesets?
Old 03-15-20, 02:50 AM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I ended up having a change of plans. After I placed my order for the SLR 7 my I received a coupon from Trek for a discount on a Project One. Then my dealer threw in a little bit more so I decided to cancel that order go with my #1 choice, Molten Marble like the OP's bike. It was still more money but not what the website shows. I'm not getting any younger so I decided to get what I really wanted and enjoy it while I can.

Trek estimated 20 days to ship so I'm hoping it will get to my dealer by the first week in Feb. or the week after. Can't hardly wait. Picked up an Ion 200 RT/Flare RT light set to replace my current lights that are much larger and heavier. They look a lot more sleek with the Ion 200 RT mounted under my K-Edge combo mount and when the bike gets here I will be able to mount the Flare RT directly to the set post knuckle and lose my saddle bag completely which will be nice.

I've been away from the forum for a bit, but what a treat to come back to! So happy that you decided to get "the one" for you. I did close to the same thing. I placed an order for an Emonda SLR with the standard "red" team color...and after sitting at home for a few hours, I was pretty upset that I had not gotten the color or bike I wanted. Called the dealership and went back down for round 2. I placed the order for the bike I REALLY wanted, with the color scheme I just had to have. And man, every day is like magic when I get to look at this gorgeous thing. The way it pops in the sun is just magical. Hopefully yours brings you as much joy as mine does for me.
Old 03-15-20, 07:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
I've been away from the forum for a bit, but what a treat to come back to! So happy that you decided to get "the one" for you. I did close to the same thing. I placed an order for an Emonda SLR with the standard "red" team color...and after sitting at home for a few hours, I was pretty upset that I had not gotten the color or bike I wanted. Called the dealership and went back down for round 2. I placed the order for the bike I REALLY wanted, with the color scheme I just had to have. And man, every day is like magic when I get to look at this gorgeous thing. The way it pops in the sun is just magical. Hopefully yours brings you as much joy as mine does for me.
Pics? What color was it anyway that you had to have?
Old 03-15-20, 10:21 AM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Hopefully yours brings you as much joy as mine does for me.
I've had the bike for about 5 weeks now and absolutely love it. Since I ordered it without having a test ride on an SLR 7 available I kind of figured it would be a lot like my 2019 SL 6 but with paint I love and Di2. But even though the specs say it should be almost identical I'm finding it much more comfortable. Not sure if something in the setup got tweaked to the good or what but I'm not complaining.

This is my first bike with Di2 and love it more than I would have guessed. My previous Ultegra bikes shifted great but this is a whole new level of precision.

I'm also appreciating the adjustable rear Iso-Speed. We set it about halfway when new but I moved to about 3/4 soft and it really does make a difference on the crappy roads I ride about 50% of the time.

When I first read about the downtube storage for the flat repair kit I thought it was a bit gimmicky but it turned out to be one of my favorite features. It has allowed be to lose my saddle bag giving the bike a nice clean look which I like. I do carry a couple of extra CO2 cartridges plus a few other small items in a Lezyne Caddy Sack Small in my jersey pocket which works out great.

The color is all I was hoping for and more.

The mechanic that assembled my bike had a bit of a mishap when wrapping the bars and snapped the stock tape in half. No big deal to me but he felt awful since that wrap is not available to order aftermarket so I had them wrap the bars with Bontrager Grippytack with white dots since they didn't have red in stock. The mgr told me to pick any tape I wanted and they would get it in and rewrap the bars. But after riding the Grippytack for a week I found I really liked it. Not as cushy as the stock wrap but very grippy and I found I liked the control is gave me better so I just had them get in the same tape but with red dots. The camera makes it look more pink for some reason but they are red.

About a week after getting the bike I had bottle pop out of my previous bottle cage on a fast, rough decent which spooked me a little so I added the pair of Bontrager Elite cages which you see in the photos. They were a few grams heavier but hold my previous generation Camelbak Podium Chill bottles as well as standard bottles very securely.

Although it was a lot of money I have absolutely no regrets about this purchase.

Last edited by August West; 03-15-20 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For August West:
Old 03-15-20, 05:43 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I picked up some of the Black/Red GrippyTack for my Cervelo - it doesn't stretch as nicely as I'd like when wrapping and I wish that the dots covered the entire width of the tape (I like to reverse at the hoods), but other than those niggles, it's really, really nice stuff.
Old 03-15-20, 07:44 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Pics? What color was it anyway that you had to have?
I'm OP. Pics should be on page 1. Molten Marble is the color.

I've had the bike for about 5 weeks now and absolutely love it. Since I ordered it without having a test ride on an SLR 7 available I kind of figured it would be a lot like my 2019 SL 6 but with paint I love and Di2. But even though the specs say it should be almost identical I'm finding it much more comfortable. Not sure if something in the setup got tweaked to the good or what but I'm not complaining.

This is my first bike with Di2 and love it more than I would have guessed. My previous Ultegra bikes shifted great but this is a whole new level of precision.

I'm also appreciating the adjustable rear Iso-Speed. We set it about halfway when new but I moved to about 3/4 soft and it really does make a difference on the crappy roads I ride about 50% of the time.

When I first read about the downtube storage for the flat repair kit I thought it was a bit gimmicky but it turned out to be one of my favorite features. It has allowed be to lose my saddle bag giving the bike a nice clean look which I like. I do carry a couple of extra CO2 cartridges plus a few other small items in a Lezyne Caddy Sack Small in my jersey pocket which works out great.

The color is all I was hoping for and more.

The mechanic that assembled my bike had a bit of a mishap when wrapping the bars and snapped the stock tape in half. No big deal to me but he felt awful since that wrap is not available to order aftermarket so I had them wrap the bars with Bontrager Grippytack with white dots since they didn't have red in stock. The mgr told me to pick any tape I wanted and they would get it in and rewrap the bars. But after riding the Grippytack for a week I found I really liked it. Not as cushy as the stock wrap but very grippy and I found I liked the control is gave me better so I just had them get in the same tape but with red dots. The camera makes it look more pink for some reason but they are red.

About a week after getting the bike I had bottle pop out of my previous bottle cage on a fast, rough decent which spooked me a little so I added the pair of Bontrager Elite cages which you see in the photos. They were a few grams heavier but hold my previous generation Camelbak Podium Chill bottles as well as standard bottles very securely.

Although it was a lot of money I have absolutely no regrets about this purchase.
Wow, unlike me, you've actually already added your own "touch" to it. I like that saddle! The bar tape is really nice as well. I've actually been eyeing some Conti GP's...just haven't pulled the trigger. Are they your go-to-tire, or do you use different ones for different terrains?

Sounds like you had an adventure with your bike shop. Not sure how they do it in the US, but in Japan, the bike shops are very happy when you buy from them and do everything in their power to make your lifetime of ownership worth it. So they offer lifetime tuneups for free, special bike shop kit like bottles and little trinkets, plus various discounts on things you might need down the road like chain lube or tubes or CO2 cartridges for your pump. It's really cool and that's what really made me happy I went through one of my local shops.

I also opted for the Bontrager Elite cages, but in the flat/matte black. It's funny, because I was looking at the Cambelbak Podium bottles as well. How do you like them?