Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Another looking-for-my-first-bike thread. Help me scour CL and FB Marketplace

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-15-20, 07:19 PM
NYNJrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

just came across a clean Cannondale Black Lightning SR700 Road Bicycle 56 cm on FB Marketplace.

thoughts on that model? too old?
Old 03-15-20, 11:17 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
What is to be the purpose of the bike? Budget?
Old 03-16-20, 07:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Lots of information missing... Please detail.
Old 03-16-20, 04:07 PM
NYNJrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sorry for lack of detail. basically want a bike i can get some solid exercise in but also have fun riding. i am a complete amateur. i have a rigid Pine Mountain mountain bike but that thing isn't all that fun to ride on pavement.

i don't know that i need (or want) a strictly road bike but i was thinking that or a cyclocross/gravel bike would make sense.

budget isn't much b/c im not sure how much id use it. maybe a few hundred bucks. rather find something used. thanks!
Old 03-16-20, 08:58 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Buying a used bike is hit-or-miss unless you know a lot about bikes. If you have to ask basic questions here .... don't buy used unless you have a knowledgeable buddy go with you. You can get a lot of $200 bikes, but you won't be able to ride all of them very far. A properly functioning long-lasting $400 bike is a lot cheaper than three $200 bikes which break down in two weeks,.

If you know someone who can go with you .... who Really knows his stuff .... then great. You can research individual models online before you go look at them, so when you get there you know what you Should see, and if your buddy can tell if the bike basically works or needs a ton of work .... there you go.

You might want to get some slicks for that MTB to make it a little more fun on the road. The benefit there is that if you really aren't excited to ride, you will be out $40-$50 instead of $200-$300.

Also check out BikesDirect. Save Up To 60% Off Road Bikes, Bicycles, Mountain Bikes and Bicycles with Bikesdirect.com, New with full warranties