Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Newbie Getting Started

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Newbie Getting Started

Old 03-29-20, 06:12 AM
mazak321

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Newbie Getting Started

I am interested in cycling and getting a bike. I want something to ride around the local neighborhoods and see if this is a hobby I want to continue with. Not sure how to get started. Looking at bike shops that I have happened by seems overwhelming. There is so much going there I am not even sure what questions to ask. I live in Atlanta, GA and could use a recommendation on a place to go with some good customer service that can walk me through picking a bike and getting started.

Thanks in advance for any feedback in getting started.
Old 03-29-20, 06:35 AM
ups

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Don't have any info on the Atlanta area.

As far as being the new rider, there are about a hundred thousand posts on bike forums providing the information you're requesting.

My answer is get any kind of bike that holds air in the tires and just start riding. Doesn't matter if it's a beach cruiser, comfort bike, mountain bike, old 80's road bike or any other type. Just get a bike start riding and if you like it then you will start looking for something that will better fit your needs.

Also ask a local bike shop to show you how to change a tire on it, then buy a flat repair kit from them.

God luck and welcome to the world of bicycling!

Last edited by ups; 03-29-20 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-29-20, 06:53 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 695 Times in 434 Posts
Not the best time to get started, with all that's going on. SO MANY different types of bikes-drop bar road, flat road, mountain, hybrid, cruiser, etc. And lots of variations within the different categories. Most bike shops closed, and if they are open, I would doubt they would offer a test ride so you could tell if the bike fits and is one you'd enjoy riding. Guess you could go used-from local Craigslist or whatever, but would you be at ease with riding a bike that you didn't know who rode it before you, or if someone did test ride it, did the owner wipe it down good. Glad to hear of your interest in joining the cycling community, but test riding a bike might be difficult right now. Are the shops open in your area? If they are, would be a good place to start. Whatever you do, please don't buy a big box store bike.
Old 03-29-20, 06:54 AM
mazak321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ups
...Good luck and welcome to the world of bicycling!
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 03-29-20, 07:03 AM
mazak321

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by freeranger
Not the best time to get started, with all that's going on. SO MANY different types of bikes-drop bar road, flat road, mountain, hybrid, cruiser, etc. And lots of variations within the different categories. Most bike shops closed, and if they are open, I would doubt they would offer a test ride so you could tell if the bike fits and is one you'd enjoy riding. Guess you could go used-from local Craigslist or whatever, but would you be at ease with riding a bike that you didn't know who rode it before you, or if someone did test ride it, did the owner wipe it down good. Glad to hear of your interest in joining the cycling community, but test riding a bike might be difficult right now. Are the shops open in your area? If they are, would be a good place to start. Whatever you do, please don't buy a big box store bike.
I thought the same thing. Right now may be a challenging time. I believe the bike stores are exempt from the current count executive order as they provide transportation services. Because of everything I turned to the internet to start my search and figured when the worked got back to "normal" I could be more informed.

Thanks for your feedback!
Old 03-29-20, 07:05 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by mazak321
I am interested in cycling and getting a bike. I want something to ride around the local neighborhoods and see if this is a hobby I want to continue with. Not sure how to get started. Looking at bike shops that I have happened by seems overwhelming. There is so much going there I am not even sure what questions to ask. I live in Atlanta, GA and could use a recommendation on a place to go with some good customer service that can walk me through picking a bike and getting started.

Thanks in advance for any feedback in getting started.
If you already had a bike, this would be an excellent time to ride. Weather is starting to get better. A lot of people suddenly find themselves with extra time. Traffic is light.

That said, think about what you want out of a bike. How old are you? Are you super fit, or do you need to get in shape? How much do you plan on riding? And how far? Do you plan to ride in urban ares, rural, suburban, or a bit of all 3? Paved or unpaved surfaces? Do you want to ride alone or do you plan to do some club riding? Last but not least, how much are you prepared to spend, and remember you should budget a bit for accessories, helmet, lock (if you plan to leave the bike unattended for even a few minutes), pump, spare tubes,, etc.
Old 03-29-20, 07:06 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
My local bike shop is open for repairs. And they will bring bikes outside and work with you to see and try different ones.

Your question is a bit too open ended. There's so many different types of bikes now. Pick a couple of bikes from the Trek website, for instance. You might look at hybrid bikes, road bikes, or trail mountain bikes. Trek has a huge range of prices, so you should find something that fits your budget. Post the links here, and you'll get a lot of responses. What's it like in your area? Urban, suburban, rural? Few or many hills?

Years ago, I got a mountain bike for riding around the city. It was great fun. Then I got a road bike, and started riding a lot. It's all road for me now. I think most riders don't really know how much they will ride, and where they'll go. Get a bike you like and want to ride. It probably won't be the last bike you buy.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 03-29-20, 07:54 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
This is an awesome time to start cycling ... most times are.

Best bet is google---find local shops and call them up, see what is going on.
Old 03-29-20, 08:16 AM
tgenec86
Rouleur

Bikes: Felt FC (SRAM Red), Nashbar Carbon (SRAM Red), Felt BR2 (SRAM Red), Salsa El Mariachi 29'er - solid steel, Peugeot PX-10 1972

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 63 Posts
If you are even close to Norcross, please contact Scott Mosko - he owns The Bicycle Doctor. He will take the time to walk you through bikes, options, and riding style. I can't recommend him highly enough. Tell him Theron referred you. (770) 825-0080
Old 03-29-20, 08:17 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
YouTube a great place for a beginner to see different options that match your needs.

Old 03-29-20, 08:31 AM
SayWatt

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
+1 to use google to find local shops. Giving them a call before going would be a good idea in these times. As far as bikes I would suggest trying something like a trek ds-2 that can be ridden enjoyable on all surfaces for a first bike. Most brands will have a similar bike I just don’t know the names of them.