Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Much Damage Does Canyon Do To LBS's?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Much Damage Does Canyon Do To LBS's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-20, 08:03 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I am actually surprised by how many people have NOT heard of Canyon. Really?

(No concealed snark - i really AM surprised. I've always thought of them as a fairly well known brand)
I'm not. If you're not on cycling forums, or don't follow professional racing closely, There's a good chance you've never seen one .I do both, and have only seen one in the wild.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-11-20, 08:07 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
The ad that is showing now at the bottom of the thread is for Purple Mattress.

Would they be the "Canyon" of the mattress business or would it be The Mattress Factory?

Anyway, I believe that Canyon will be a fissure in the bike industry. More than that, and the other companies will become direct sellers themselves, if they aren't already.
Old 04-11-20, 08:08 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by N00b_Cyclist
Most people looking at full carbon bikes in the $5,000 - $10,000 range are probably huge cycling fans (or just love spending money) and probably have a bit of team spirit in them as well. That goes far for brand loyalty.
Bingo. If we wanted the best value, we'd all ride Al Ultegra. At some point, it is not about value but a bike that makes you happy.

Case in point - i am looking at the Domane for a gravel bike, as i had posted earlier. The SL6 checks off all my rational requirements. But I REALLY like the SLR Viper Red paint scheme and I want Di2 as well (even though i know it is overkill for a bike i wont be riding as much as my 2 main ones): as a result, the SLR7 is in the mix, despite it being a very irrational choice.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 04-11-20, 08:12 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I'm not. If you're not on cycling forums, or don't follow professional racing closely, There's a good chance you've never seen one .I do both, and have only seen one in the wild.
Sure, i get that - I should have clarified that i was referring to some many people on *this* sub-forum saying they havent heard of Canyon.
Old 04-11-20, 08:33 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I've never heard of them either and that is saying something because I keep my ear to the ground where bikes are concerned. But mail order bikes are nothing new. More to the point, what LBS does not now also have a robust online presence ready to ship most things faster than Amazon can in addition to the usual dealer functions and, of course, service*. The o.p. has to know that, so I'm calling BS on their 'concern' for the fate of LBS's everywhere ... wtf? The Occam's Razor Postulate has never let me down yet: this thread is actually an advert for Canyon Bikes, precisely because they are no threat to an established LBS. Someone with an agenda would like to change that.
*I don't usually need much in the way of service since I do most of my own work but more and more its a bike co-op that has saved the day when the LBS says they'll look at the bike in 2 months. There has never been a time when a co-op tech didn't just get to work on the problem right then and there.
"We sponsor World Tour teams but we need to go astroturfing for publicity".

Sure, ok.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-11-20, 10:44 AM
seypat

My subdivision dumps out onto one of the main cycling arteries in my area of RVA. If I was taking an informal count of the different roadie brands I see out there, Fuji would be leading the count. I saw a new Felt this morning. I haven't seen one of those in a while. The DT looked bigger(and wider) than a 2" x 4."
I have to give props to the Canyon rider. Most of the riders I see tend to think that looking like a pro is at least as important, if not more so, as riding their bike. The Canyon rider however, had an old school look/vibe to him. Simple black sunglasses/shoes/white ankle socks, ordinary black shorts and an ordinary jersey with 80s colors. The jersey sleeves were different colors and different colors from the main(single color) jersey body. No big logos visible except maybe one along the shorts gripper line. It was refreshing to see instead of the usual walking/ billboard.

Last edited by seypat; 04-11-20 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-11-20, 10:49 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by noodle soup
It must be bigger in the tri world, because they're much more common than that in my experience. That or it's regional.
Old 04-11-20, 11:01 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I have to give props to the Canyon rider. Most of the riders I see tend to think that looking like a pro is at least as important, if not more so, as riding their bike. The Canyon rider however, had an old school look/vibe to him. Simple black sunglasses/shoes/white ankle socks, ordinary black shorts and an ordinary jersey with 80s colors. The jersey sleeves were different colors and different colors from the main(single color) jersey body. No big logos visible except maybe one along the shorts gripper line. It was refreshing to see instead of the usual walking/ billboard.
Yeah.. it's good to see that you don't take notice or care about what people are wearing.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 04-11-20, 11:19 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Yeah.. it's good to see that you don't take notice or care about what people are wearing.
Hard not to notice when you are mowing your yard and they come by right in front of you. One guy that rides through my neighborhood has a matching kit(down to the socks) for every day of the week. Or, at least it appears that way. Matching colored shoes and bibs/shorts. No black unless the jersey is black. The funny part is this. I live at the top of a slight upgrade/hill. Maybe a 3-400 yard hill. The guy will be scanning both sides of the street looking for people out in their yards. If there is none, he stays in his saddle and goes up the hill plodding along. But, if he has an audience, then he comes out of his saddle making all kinds of movements and noises like he is climbing the Alps 'd Huez! Passing walkers and kids on trikes and giving them the look. He might as well have a Summer's Eve kit on with that kind of display.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-11-20, 11:23 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

I saw a new Felt this morning. I haven't seen one of those in a while. The DT looked bigger(and wider) than a 2" x 4."
Tri bike? Sounds like the IA.
Old 04-11-20, 11:48 AM
seypat

Speaking of noticing riders, etc. coming through your neighborhood, Bah Humbug might appreciate this. Last weekend I pulled out of my driveway around 9, headed for Lowes. A female runner came by with a buddy on a jog. She lives at the other end of my street. She is on the same marathon training team as I, but a different sub team. Anyway, I got back to the house about 11, then ate lunch. I went outside and started doing yard work. The lady kept coming by about every 10-15 minutes with different running buddies. She was running the 1 mile loop that goes through our neighborhood. There were 2 big running events in our area that were supposed to take place over the last 2 weekends but were cancelled. I asked her(from a safe distance) if she was running a half or full. She said had started at 6am and was attempting a 50 miler. She was currently at 39.3 miles! She was using her house as a SAG. I went in the house and got a cowbell. Every time she and her pacers came past I gave them some love. She came by for the last time around 5pm as I was finishing up. She had .4 of a mile left. I followed her(from a safe distance) and cheered/cowbelled her to her finish line. It was a great afternoon.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-11-20, 11:55 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Tri bike? Sounds like the IA.
It had drop bars instead of bullhorns. Medium blue with a charcoal/grey decal, not black. Needed to be a black decal. I had some trouble reading it. Small 50+ male rider coming out of a 4 way stop.
Old 04-11-20, 12:28 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Speaking of noticing riders, etc. coming through your neighborhood, Bah Humbug might appreciate this. Last weekend I pulled out of my driveway around 9, headed for Lowes. A female runner came by with a buddy on a jog. She lives at the other end of my street. She is on the same marathon training team as I, but a different sub team. Anyway, I got back to the house about 11, then ate lunch. I went outside and started doing yard work. The lady kept coming by about every 10-15 minutes with different running buddies. She was running the 1 mile loop that goes through our neighborhood. There were 2 big running events in our area that were supposed to take place over the last 2 weekends but were cancelled. I asked her(from a safe distance) if she was running a half or full. She said had started at 6am and was attempting a 50 miler. She was currently at 39.3 miles! She was using her house as a SAG. I went in the house and got a cowbell. Every time she and her pacers came past I gave them some love. She came by for the last time around 5pm as I was finishing up. She had .4 of a mile left. I followed her(from a safe distance) and cheered/cowbelled her to her finish line. It was a great afternoon.
I've heard of people doing that, but it sounds god-awful to me.
Old 04-11-20, 12:48 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
"We sponsor World Tour teams but we need to go astroturfing for publicity".

Sure, ok.
I didn't say the o.p. represents Canyon in any relational capacity. They are, however, invested somehow in Canyon's penetration into wider awareness. Obviously.
Old 04-11-20, 12:48 PM
seypat

I got my honey dos done and was taking stuff to my dumpster. Canyon rider must have gotten his honey dos done as well because he had started a ride. I passed him during some road construction, so I couldn't creep. I went on ahead to a safe place, pulled over waited for him to pass. It was Aerohead after all. Must have been a reflection I saw at the ST. The front blue on the Canyon looks a little darker than the blue color of the Felt.
Old 04-11-20, 12:54 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I have to give props to the Canyon rider.
Canyon owners/riders are all about the ride, man. Function, not fashion. Pretty colors don’t make you fast, they just make the slower riders stand out more. Canyon- it’s the right thing to do. (You can write that down if you like.)

Old 04-11-20, 01:01 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
This Trek (discontinued) had an MSRP under $700. It cost me under $600 with extras. I am obviously not a weight weenie, but if I was, I could have her down to 20lbs. Actually, if I felt like throwing another ~$500 at it I could get her into the mid-teens. That was getting in the way of lower end Domane sales so Trek pulled the plug on the One series. But to say that Trek, or Giant, or Specialized, cannot compete with mail order brands like Canyon is a false equivalency. I get lifetime service of my Trek at 1/2 the regular shop rate. I get a 10% discount on any accessories at purchase time. I got to ride around on the Trek I bought for 30 minutes before I pulled the trigger. I could have stayed out longer but I didn't want them to send the Mounties after me. If you don't have to have something that looks like it cost $12K even though it didn't, you still have options at the LBS. FWIW.
Old 04-11-20, 01:06 PM
seypat

I've heard of people doing that, but it sounds god-awful to me.
It doesn't sound like much fun for me either. I'd have to at least change the direction of my laps every 5 or so.
Old 04-11-20, 05:44 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
What was she wearing?
Old 04-11-20, 05:59 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What was she wearing?
Navy running headband. Big sunglasses. Lavender/lilac and white sleeveless running top with a guineafowl feather like pattern. Navy/white compression running shorts with a similar guineafowl feather pattern. Navy knee length compression socks. Medium blue New Balance running shoes.
Likes For seypat:
Old 04-11-20, 06:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Navy running headband. Big sunglasses. Lavender/lilac and white sleeveless running top with a guineafowl feather like pattern. Navy/white compression running shorts with a similar guineafowl feather pattern. Navy knee length compression socks. Medium blue New Balance running shoes.
Can you be more specific?

Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-11-20, 06:33 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Can you be more specific?

Old 04-11-20, 07:17 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

@seypat, you would approve of my running outfits. You would not approve of my cycling outfits.

Well, you might not like my running outfits either, but for an entirely different reason.
Old 04-11-20, 08:17 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Bingo. If we wanted the best value, we'd all ride Al Ultegra. At some point, it is not about value but a bike that makes you happy.

Case in point - i am looking at the Domane for a gravel bike, as i had posted earlier. The SL6 checks off all my rational requirements. But I REALLY like the SLR Viper Red paint scheme and I want Di2 as well (even though i know it is overkill for a bike i wont be riding as much as my 2 main ones): as a result, the SLR7 is in the mix, despite it being a very irrational choice.
Heck, we'd probably ride Al 105 lol. I had a Checkpoint ALR5 for a while and it was "fine" as far as bikes go. Checked the gravel bike check-boxes, and shifts were fine. I definitely paid too much for my Domane to ride it on gravel. I love the storage in the downtube, and I love the look, and I love IsoSpeed...so that's why I got it. But it's a proper road bike to me. I could have gotten the Emonda or Madone, but they just didn't speak to me like the Domane did. I got the SLR7 and paid a premium for an ICON paint scheme....so there's that. I couldn't even consider riding on gravel and messing up that paint job.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 04-11-20, 10:35 PM
seypat

@seypat, you would approve of my running outfits. You would not approve of my cycling outfits.

Well, you might not like my running outfits either, but for an entirely different reason.
I'm guessing you wear the standard issue kit from your tri club/organization. When not in that, it's probably a singlet or shirtless. The shorts are probably not loose running shorts. More likely compression shorts like jammers or tri shorts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.