Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bontrager XXX Road Shoes - My honest review

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-20-20, 11:20 AM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts

Before you go purchase these road shoes, go check out my review. I really wanted to like these shoes. Coming from riding a few other shoe brands before these I decided to give the new Bontrager XXX shoes a crack. Out of the box, they are beautifully designed with perforation all around the shoe to keep your foot cool. The problem for me was riding them for several hours across the 3 months I’ve owned them. Yeah the XXX’s are super stylish and outfitted with the latest cycling tech, however, they are not well suited for riders who need more volume in a shoe. For me, road shoes have to feel comfortable the moment I slip them on and can stand the test of long rides. Feet shape and size can influence what shoe is the best for you. I did want to like these shoes, but unfortunately, I will have to go with another brand as the XXX’s gave me hot spots and were just too narrow for me.

Last edited by StanSeven; 05-21-20 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Refers to external blog
Old 05-20-20, 11:39 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
So to sum up.. good/great shoes that didn't fit your foot?

Not really related since you are pretty clear in your qualifiers, but ever notice how 9/10 negative reviews for clothing/shoes are negative because the purchaser bought the wrong size?
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-20-20, 02:57 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by illjustride
Feet shape and size can influence what shoe is the best for you. I did want to like these shoes, but unfortunately, I will have to go with another brand as the XXX’s gave me hot spots and were just too narrow for me. Check more of what I had to say on the link below.
I had the same experience with Bontrager's latest line-up. The quality seemed just fine, but I ordered multiple shoes in multiple sizes (some SPD and some SPD-SL shoes) and none of them were wide enough for my feet. The good thing about Bontrager is they have a really good guarantee, so you can return them even if you used them.
Old 05-20-20, 03:06 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I tried the Bontrager shoes last year but found the toe box just not big enough. My big toe was quite cramped so I ended up with Specialized Torch 2.0 shoes that fit perfectly. I like them so much I bought a pair of Torch 3.0 a few months ago so I'll have a pair of shoes I know will fit when the 2.0's wear out.
Likes For August West:
Old 05-20-20, 07:17 PM
bigd777

Bikes: Trek 6.9 Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 20 Posts
Look into lake shoes
Likes For bigd777:
Old 05-22-20, 01:12 PM
illjustride

Bikes: Trek Emoda, Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bigd777
Look into lake shoes
Thanks. I ended up getting the Shimano RC9's. So far so good.
Old 05-22-20, 01:23 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
That's surprising, those RC 9's look like they'd be super-narrow. I'm pretty sure Shimano has something much wider than those.

It's a good thing that you're looking for actual road shoes and not the walkable MTB type, because if you go on Ebay, those often seem to be the ones more deeply discounted because they're apparently harder to sell.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ano+road+shoes
Old 05-31-20, 08:27 PM
stewartt1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts
Good to know they might not be great for those that require more voluminous shoes. As a person with Sideshow Bob feet (ie. narrow and long) I struggle to find shoes where I do not suffer from too much lateral movement. Perhaps I should go try on a pair of these Bontrager XXXs.