Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rat trap pedals

Old 07-07-20, 07:09 PM
csuperbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Rat trap pedals

Is anyone still using/liking rat trap pedals?
Old 07-07-20, 07:19 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by csuperbike
Is anyone still using/liking rat trap pedals?
I do!!! And yes, I tried clipless pedals in the 90s but a toe cage and strap is where it's at, for me. Except on my mtbs. Flat pedals for sure.
Old 07-07-20, 07:21 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
You mean this?

Yes, I use them for commuting and utility bikes, which before COVID was all my riding. I'd tried clipless for that service but I was then restricted on shoes. I spin relatively fast and I need more constraint than just flat pedals. The "rat traps" give me some constraint with normal shoes that I can walk around in.

I've been using clipless lately on some recreational bikes. I think I can accelerate faster with clipless because I can pull up with more force than with the "rat traps".

Last edited by flangehead; 07-07-20 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Fix some bad grammar.
Old 07-07-20, 08:19 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Yes. I recently sold this frame set, but still have the pedals and will likely use them on something else, as I really like them.

Also Bear Trap pedals...

Old 07-07-20, 08:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
You mean this?

Yes, I use them for commuting and utility bikes, which before COVID was all my riding. I'd tried clipless for that service but I was then restricted on shoes. I spin relatively fast and I need more constraint than just flat pedals. The "rat traps" give me some constraint with normal shoes that I can walk around in.

I've been using clipless lately on some recreational bikes. I think I can accelerate faster with clipless because I can pull up with more force than with the "rat traps".
Wrong
The "rat traps" you are referring to are actually toe clips and straps. It is that type of metal framed pedal that is referred to as a rat trap pedal, so the picture depicts rat trap pedals with toe clips and straps
Old 07-07-20, 08:27 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
The "rat traps you are referring to are actually toe clips and straps. It is that type of metal framed pedal that is referred to as a rat trap pedal, so the picture depicts rat trap pedals with toe clips and straps
Thanks. I posted the picture because I’ve heard the term used both ways.
Old 07-07-20, 08:28 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I do. I'm not into performance and need to walk around.
Old 07-08-20, 07:39 AM
csuperbike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Wrong
The "rat traps" you are referring to are actually toe clips and straps. It is that type of metal framed pedal that is referred to as a rat trap pedal, so the picture depicts rat trap pedals with toe clips and straps
This. Exactly what I meant 👍. I do like some of the other setups as well
Old 07-08-20, 09:52 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead

I spin relatively fast and I need more constraint than just flat pedals. The "rat traps" give me some constraint with normal shoes that I can walk around in.
Don't know exactly what rat traps are, but I use toe clips and MTB shoes with no cleats for the reasons quoted. I leave the straps loose, so you won't likely set me falling down due to a dropped chain or mere forgetfulness.
Old 07-08-20, 12:22 PM
dfrench52 

Bikes: Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I use them. Tried Speedplay and could never get them to click in reliably and I got tired of falling over.

So I went back to clips and straps along with some shoes that came with an optional (use it if I want it) cover plate on the sole.
All I wanted was to keep my feet from sliding off the pedals. The cobo works great.
Old 07-08-20, 05:21 PM
theDirtyLemon

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Why do you ask?
Old 07-08-20, 05:25 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
These are rat traps: https://i.pinimg.com/736x/7b/63/1c/7...17974c25e6.jpg

These are quills: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/01...g?v=1571262527

Both take toe clips and straps. IIRC, Quills are road racing pedals. By the 1970s, they became the pedals of choice in the marketplace for bikes sold by LBSes. The problem is that some of us, including me, have feet that don't fit inside the quill. By the mid-'80s, there might have been good rat traps, but I couldn't find them. Foot discomfort is one of the reasons I gave up riding in the early '90s.

I tried SPDs, but never trusted my ability to get out of the clips in an emergency; besides, I had a hot spot with SPDs. I tried pinned flat pedals and never went back to being clipped in or quills. The flat pinned pedals give me a lot more surface area for my feet thatn the other solutions I tried. If that's TMI, I apologize.
Old 07-08-20, 11:12 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I use MKS rat traps and MKS toeclips and straps. Went from Lyotard rat traps and toeclips and straps, to Campy quills, etc., to KKT quills, etc., to Shimano XTRs SPDs, back to the MKS setup for all (or parts of all) the reasons above.
Old 07-09-20, 08:06 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Agree that rat traps and quills are two different pedal styles.
My spouse uses MKS rat traps and generic plastic half clips on her Trek e-assist bike.