Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can I use rim brakes on a disc brake wheel?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-20, 03:52 PM
Akjam101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would like to buy normal wheels for rim brakes since rim brakes are way cheaper than disc brakes. But on my journey looking for the right wheels, I keep finding more disc compatible wheels than normal wheels, and they are cheaper. So can I just buy these wheels and use rim brakes, or will it destroy the wheels or something? (https://northwestbicycle.com/product...hoCdUgQAvD_BwE)
Old 07-11-20, 03:57 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
No. You have to use a rim-brake compatible rim.

You cannot put rim brakes on the Brand-x frame you are getting though. That requires discs.
Likes For aggiegrads:
Old 07-11-20, 04:57 PM
Akjam101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aggiegrads
No. You have to use a rim-brake compatible rim.

You cannot put rim brakes on the Brand-x frame you are getting though. That requires discs.
Ok, thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-20, 05:34 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Disc only rims often forego a brake track to be slightly lighter,
but there is no reason why a disc brake hub wheel cannot be built with a rim design capable of being squeezed between brake pads..

Suppliers to bike shops produce wheel of their warehoused parts priced reflecting wholesale costs.

so come ready built for less than the retail price of the parts separately..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-20 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 06:31 PM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I wouldn't imagine that you'd get good grip with brake pads/blocks if the rim wall surface were curved. Most of the disc brake rims that I've seen are really curvy. Although some models that are made in both rim version and disc version have flat/angled walls, with the only difference being a CNC'd vs non-milled anodized surface.
Likes For tomtomtom123:
Old 07-11-20, 07:53 PM
Akjam101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Disc only rims often forego a brake track to be slightly lighter,
but there is no reason why a disc brake hub wheel cannot be built with a rim design capable of being squeezed between brake pads..

Suppliers to bike shops produce wheel of their warehoused parts priced reflecting wholesale costs.

so come ready built for less than the retail price of the parts separately..

But should I use rim brakes on those wheels, will it do anything bad to them faster than it would on rim brake wheels?
Old 07-11-20, 10:22 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Akjam101
But should I use rim brakes on those wheels, will it do anything bad to them faster than it would on rim brake wheels?
quite likely - you’ll certainly abrade off any anodizing or paint, the rim section that you’re braking on may not have sufficient thickness to withstand long term use as a brake track. The wheels you linked to don’t look like they have an actual flat brake track, so you’ll get lousy braking, and to make use of any decent amount of rim with these, you have to have the brakes clamp dangerously close to the tires. All in all, this is a bad idea - for your rims, your brakes, your braking, your tires, and your face, if you either can’t brake efficiently or your brake pads wear through your tire.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 07-11-20, 10:26 PM
fietsbob
Banned

cross section of disc only wheel rims are more triangular than box shape

Sun CR 18 rims are fine.. and cheap .... the extrusion die was paid for long ago..
get a wheel built with those..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-11-20 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-11-20, 10:29 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Don't Own One... Send me a link on that specific rim... cross section images are best..
Old 07-11-20, 11:28 PM
Akjam101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litespud
quite likely - you’ll certainly abrade off any anodizing or paint, the rim section that you’re braking on may not have sufficient thickness to withstand long term use as a brake track. The wheels you linked to don’t look like they have an actual flat brake track, so you’ll get lousy braking, and to make use of any decent amount of rim with these, you have to have the brakes clamp dangerously close to the tires. All in all, this is a bad idea - for your rims, your brakes, your braking, your tires, and your face, if you either can’t brake efficiently or your brake pads wear through your tire.
Ok, no way im going to use rim brakes then, ill find another solution
Old 07-11-20, 11:29 PM
Akjam101

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Don't Own One... Send me a link on that specific rim... cross section images are best..
nah, its fine, im backing away from this idea
Old 07-12-20, 09:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
It probably wouldn’t wear out the rim wall any faster but there is nothing for the brakes to grab on a disc only wheel. The side wall is a fraction of the width of a rim with a brake track. Your brake pads would be either be too close to the tire (could result in a blow out by wearing through the the tire) or the brake pads would slide under that low sidewall and dive into the spokes.

Just because the wheel is less expensive than the alternative doesn’t mean that it will work. If you buy it and it doesn’t work, it’s more expensive because you have to buy the wheel set twice. Buy the right wheel for rim brakes.

As for price, look around some more. Jenson USA has a wheel set for about $100
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 07-12-20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-12-20, 03:19 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I would like to buy normal wheels for rim brakes since rim brakes are way cheaper than disc brakes. But on my journey looking for the right wheels, I keep finding more disc compatible wheels than normal wheels, and they are cheaper. So can I just buy these wheels and use rim brakes, or will it destroy the wheels or something? (https://northwestbicycle.com/product...hoCdUgQAvD_BwE)
There is no indication that those wheels are disc-only. The wheels are disc-compatible - they can be used with disc brakes because rotors can be added to the hubs. But, unless the rims are described as disc-only, you should be able to use rim brakes. Two of my bikes have disc-compatible wheels and each bike uses one disc brake and one rim brake.
Old 07-12-20, 04:22 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
There is no indication that those wheels are disc-only. The wheels are disc-compatible - they can be used with disc brakes because rotors can be added to the hubs. But, unless the rims are described as disc-only, you should be able to use rim brakes. Two of my bikes have disc-compatible wheels and each bike uses one disc brake and one rim brake.
The rims specifically say “disc” on them. If you zoom, you can also see the short side wall. In the description it also says “Mach1 Sub Zero Disc” for the rim model.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-12-20, 05:10 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
.................... But on my journey looking for the right wheels, I keep finding more disc compatible wheels than normal wheels.............
Midway through my two or three months of looking for a new bike I realized that this would become a thing. So I changed my mind and bought a bike with disc brakes just because I didn't want be limited in choice when I needed new wheels.

If your bike has rim brakes, you need to buy wheels with rims made for rim brakes.
Old 07-12-20, 06:14 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The rims specifically say “disc” on them. If you zoom, you can also see the short side wall. In the description it also says “Mach1 Sub Zero Disc” for the rim model.
Probably correct disc only. Too bad the product info somewhat lacking and photo mediocre.

But, back to OP’s first post, disc compatible doesn’t mean disc only.

Last edited by JanMM; 07-12-20 at 06:22 PM.