Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hybrid vs Roadie Speed

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hybrid vs Roadie Speed

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 08:01 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A buddy of mine has a Focus Planet Street, which is what I would classify as a hybrid/commuter. The bike fits me, it rolls well, and man oh man is it slow. That bike wants to go 10-12mph. It loves it. Takes no more effort than walking at a normal pace. But trying to maintain even 15mph feels like swimming against a current. An hour of senselessly pushing it on that bike and I need a nap.
Old 07-22-20, 09:02 PM
Adonis72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand the answer.
I'm sure if guys in lycra get it then I don't care.
Old 07-22-20, 10:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by Beach Bob
On a road bike, I can get a 5% difference in speed (at the same power/slope) just by being on the drops vs. the hoods. In a head wind, the difference can be much more.
If upper body position is the same, aero efficiency is better with your hands on the hoods and elbows more bent. You catch a bit less air than with hands down in the drops. OTOH, if you are better able to engage your arms. lats and core and you work a bit harder and/or get a lower upper body position, then drops may be faster and in the second case also more aero.

I know if I really want to push hard, I go for the grip at the crook of the drop bend with first two fingers above the bar end shifter cable and the other fingers below. I’ll even stand and climb with that grip for the really tough stuff.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 07-22-20 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 02:07 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
So the answer is that it really depends on the bike you have. If you're comparing a near-30-lb hybrid with 35 mm treaded tires, front suspension, and an upright position with a 15-lb aero bike with areo wheels, and a kit to match, well the difference could be quite substantial, especially if there is some climbing.
Good point about the climbing. A while ago on one of my rides on my hybrid I was caught by a friend on his road bike. We rode together for ~10 km before or ways parted, and I had no trouble keeping up with him on flats at about 30kph, but I was really struggling on the couple of climbs there were. I was on a ~29 lb hybrid with 38 mm tires, while he was riding a carbon road bike (Focus Cayo, I think).