Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pedals without reflectors???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pedals without reflectors???

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-20, 10:30 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
So?

The picture isn't saying it works from other than the side.

Who knows why there aren't any other reflectors. Maybe, the rider wears them (with lights). Who knows.

It's an illustration of the tires. It could be an advertisement.

It seems likely that the person who posted it is just showing how the tires work.

It's silly that you think it's a recommendation that nothing else is needed.
I agree...it would be silly for me to think that. I guess I wasn't thinking. You win.....
Old 07-30-20, 11:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
It seems weird to require bikes to be sold with reflectors on the pedals, but not require the red rear reflector (which is a requirement for nighttime use, whereas the pedal reflector is not required for use).
Also, given that almost no clipless pedals have reflectors, or any way to attach them, does the sale of these items by bike shops violate Illinois law?

In reality... I purchased two new bikes (in Illinois) recently:
1. A kids bike that came with platform pedals that have built-in reflectors, and also front/rear and wheel reflectors.

2. An adult bike that didn't come with any reflectors. I separately purchased clipless pedals that the shop installed prior to me buying the bike. The pedals were sold with no reflectors (and to my knowledge it would be impossible to attach a reflector to an XTR clipless pedal). The bike also had no other reflectors on the frame or wheels (or a dork disc) which is good because I would've immediately removed these items from the bike, along with the multiple warning stickers on the frame.

For the record, my cycling shoes are high-viz yellow with reflective stripes on the rear. I also run multiple LED lights on my bike at night, and my bike helmet has reflective stripes on it.
My bike was a custom Trek Project One build of a 14# carbon bike. In the box was front and rear along with wheel reflectors. Obviously I didn't install any of them. These are the same ones that Trek installs on a $500 bike,.

Old 08-04-20, 08:03 AM
antdd

Bikes: commuter: Soma Wolverine, Patria Roadster / cargo: Nihola Family

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I Quebec, Canada, reflectors on pedals and everywhere else are the law (https://spvm.qc.ca/en/Fiches/Details...ors-and-Lights), and Montreal police hands out fines for missing reflectors...
I use Shimano XT PD-T8000 (one side clipless, the other flat, with reflectors), and some Wellgo flats with the option to install reflectors.
Old 08-04-20, 08:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
pedal reflectors are really effective when the rider's foot isn't in the way. Which is mostly the case. If safety is an issue, reflective ankle bands are the way to go. Of course, you have to be organized enough to be able to find them when you need them
Old 08-04-20, 08:35 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
You make the assumption that most bikes are on the pavement and at night. While I do have a commuter, my mountain bikes and bikepacking bikes are not ridden at night, and for the most part, not on pave.
Old 08-04-20, 08:39 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Pedals without reflectors? I weep just thinking about it.
Old 08-04-20, 09:10 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Pedals without reflectors? I weep just thinking about it.
Says the Reflector Guy.
Old 08-04-20, 09:14 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
LEDs in Pedals

I ride with a defensive attitude. I decided to buy LOOK GEO TREKKING VISION pedals and they work well for me. The pedals are durable and shipped with rechargeable, removable, amber LED lights, that fit where pedal reflectors are typically located. They are extremely effective, as they emit a bright light, 180 degree visible in all light conditions; not just when other light beams are reflected on them. The pedals have two sides; one with micro cleat/SPD compatibility with adjustable retention; the other side is flat. I bought my pair from Colorado Cyclist $120. I like them and use them in all weather conditions.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 08-04-20 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-06-20, 10:26 AM
kgcabs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 6 Posts
mount lights on your bike....front and back