Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fork: Cosmetic or?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-05-20, 11:38 AM
Pactin

Bikes: Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Looking for a 2nd opinion on my new frameset's fork. I was about to trim my fork's carbon steerer to length when I noticed a few visible anomalies on the finish.

Pictured are these linear "gouges" and a small divot that look like a tooling tip grazed the exterior. One of them is diagonal to the length of the steerer. Another runs along what appears to be a manufacturing "seam". If i had to guess their depth, it would be around 0.5 to 0.75mm deep.

Do these look purely cosmetic, or is there a potential for structural failure?
Old 08-05-20, 12:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My camera always makes stuff look worse, but it looks like new fork day to me.

If it is indeed new, I would put away the saw and see about warranty replacement.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-05-20, 12:58 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
If it were me, I'd take it into a qualified shop and have them look at it. You'll get a bunch of opinions on the internet that may or may not be right, but without seeing it in person I have no idea how anyone could determine if it's a potential concern or not.

I wouldn't take a chance on a steerer and now feel the need to pull my bike apart and inspect mine.
Old 08-05-20, 01:37 PM
Pactin

Bikes: Allez

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
My camera always makes stuff look worse, but it looks like new fork day to me.

If it is indeed new, I would put away the saw and see about warranty replacement.
Yes, it's funny how lighting can change perspective. But I did choose these from a number of pictures, as the most accurate to the real thing.

Originally Posted by msu2001la
If it were me, I'd take it into a qualified shop and have them look at it. You'll get a bunch of opinions on the internet that may or may not be right, but without seeing it in person I have no idea how anyone could determine if it's a potential concern or not.

I wouldn't take a chance on a steerer and now feel the need to pull my bike apart and inspect mine.
Sorry for causing you any paranoia I plan to take it to a shop later in the day to get a 3rd opinion, but figured I'd ask here to see if anyone could identify it as a big red flag.

I've contacted the distributor, who then contacted the company, and they both say they are superficial marks and part of the mfg process/within quality spec. But I feel the need to do my due diligence because of all the framesets I've built/worked on, I've never come across a carbon steerer tube this imperfect.
Likes For Pactin:
Old 08-05-20, 02:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
I dont manufacture forks, but those marks go against grain and i don't understand how they are made, based on what i understand from carbon frame building.

Odd.
Old 08-05-20, 03:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Looks pretty normal to me. But it never hurts to ask your shop for their opinion.
Old 08-05-20, 10:45 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Pactin
within quality spec..
Who is the manufacturer? I want to avoid them.
Old 08-06-20, 12:00 AM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
That fork should've never left the factory.
Likes For Robius:
Old 08-06-20, 03:57 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
That doesn't seem safe to me. But I'm not an expert.

I wouldn't ride that fork.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 08-06-20, 04:22 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Hmmmmm, cameras exaggerate things a bit but even that looks suspect to me enough I would return it for a new one. If mail ordered I would ask the vendor to shoot pictures of it to send me so I could decide if the replacement is good. I am not saying that the one you have is bad so to speak as I am not a carbon fiber builder/engineer < although I majored for a while in college for mechanical engineering, but those imperfections look a bit too much to me.
Old 08-06-20, 09:17 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Looks better than my fork except that diagonal mark (mine has more seams). Sent pictures to the shop for warranty, in a bit of back and forth between the shop and manufacturer now.

I rode on mine for 6000km, only noticed the poor workmanship pretty recently and rode over some good bumps along the way and no externally visible cracks, delaminations or whatnot occurred on the not so well glued areas, so mechanically it's acceptable, but of course it bugs me to see a poor job on the fork and I want it replaced, and such imperfections are a weak point.

I'd return it if bought new but it is probably fine. Here's what I found on mine:

Seams on the fork clearly visible