Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

How to Convert Rear Rack from wide (8"W) to narrower (6.5"W)?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

How to Convert Rear Rack from wide (8"W) to narrower (6.5"W)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 03:30 AM
graphicbear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile How to Convert Rear Rack from wide (8"W) to narrower (6.5"W)?

I have a bike with an attached rack and purchased the Thule Yepp child seat and the Easyfit Adapter mount. Unfortunately, I found out my rear bike rack frame is 8" wide and the Thule adapter only works up to 6.7"W (since it squeezes the rack to attach), so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. Do you know if anyone sells an adapter to make the rack have narrower width mounting points? Or do I need to make an adapter myself, probably by attaching a narrow piece of wood or metal to the existing 8" rack so the rear child carrier Easyfit Adapter can attach? Thouhts?

Thanks,
Melissa
Old 08-07-20, 08:38 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I think the correct answer here is to get a new rack.

I doubt very much that anyone would make such a specialized adapter, and the liability exposure in an adapter for a child seat would make such a product commercially non-viable.

Even with an adapter, would the seat fit on a rack that's too wide?
Old 08-07-20, 08:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
It is my experience with attachments to racks that it is best to buy the two that pair together as intended. I would be hesitant to put a child on a seat that is on a home brew adapter.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-07-20, 11:08 AM
graphicbear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the fast replies. I figured that would be the case, but there are so many products in the marketplace, just thought I would ask.

In terms of liability, it would probably make sense for the child carrier manufacturer to make a product like that (or make it fit wider rear rack frames), since they already have the liability.
If you live in a developing country where you entire family can fit on a bike, they probably wouldn't hesitate. I guess it's whatever you/I feel safe with.

To note, I tried a narrower piece of wood/metal bolted to the wider frame to attach the easyfit carrier and it works, but I wish I could find a rear child seat that would fit my 8"W stock rear rack frame. Oh well. Thank you again for your help!
Old 10-18-20, 05:50 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
I’d just toss the idea of putting the kid on the bike rack like they’re mere groceries and get a trailer for them to ride in.

Keeps them shaded from excess UV rays, and makes the bike less unstable to ride (safe!).

I’ve gotten nearly a decade out of my Burley flatbed hauling my music gear to nearby gigs and lots of water on long training rides. On one training ride, a pair of drunks stumbled out of a bar and offered to pay me to haul their petite friend up the road on it. She might’ve been ~95lbs. I made $10 and a new friend who said she both felt safe and liked how my calves looked during the endeavor.

Burley makes kiddie trailers in which I wouldn’t hesitate to put a valuable life or two.