Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

`53 Torpado build finally complete!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

`53 Torpado build finally complete!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 02:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 3,332 Times in 2,174 Posts
-----

Hello again,

Thanks so much for the response and additional information Dan.

wrt bottom bracket fittings & chainset -

the bottom bracket fittings appear to have been replated; is that correct?

although unmarked, save for the C on the spindle centre, they are Magistroni products

have no hard information on the C marking; have always assumed it to stand for "Corsa" to indiciate that the drive side end of the spindle is of a length intended for two-plateau drive trains

since the BB fittings are Magistroni would think the chainset would be as well...

are there markings on the Y-adaptors? do they read Magistroni or do they read Simplex? Simplex ones come from the rather short-lived Simplex of Italy operation.
Y-adaptors were manufactured in both steel and in alloy. if you have the steel type count yourself fortunate as the alloy examples were fail prone.

unfortunately, information on Magistroni products as produced by the firm Officine Mecchaniche Giostra, is a scarce commodity. there is one enthusiast created web site which gives some here, in case you have not encountered it already:

Magistroni

---

shall look forward to seeing more images of the cycle when the two of you are once again united

thanks again for posting the bicycle and project!

-----
Old 08-07-20, 02:32 PM
Petit Breton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
beautiful very neat work I like it very much. Here in Argentina the TORPADO brand was widely used by our cyclists. congratulations and enjoy it.
Old 08-07-20, 05:06 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,286 Times in 1,278 Posts
Very nice piece of cycling history. Any idea of any past owners? It seems that in the fifties owning a bike like this may have been rare even in Italy. I have a 1972 ItalVega that I love riding that was made by Torpado a while after your bike was made. The restoration you did is beautiful and the color is amazing. It seems maybe a bit small for you with the position of the seatpost. I have an old Stella that has more sentimental value than anything else and it is too small for me. It came with a real long chrome plated seat post that allows me to ride it. It looks about like the way you set yours up.
Old 08-15-20, 10:02 AM
Dan Chase

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

Hello again,

Thanks so much for the response and additional information Dan.

wrt bottom bracket fittings & chainset -

the bottom bracket fittings appear to have been replated; is that correct?

although unmarked, save for the C on the spindle centre, they are Magistroni products

have no hard information on the C marking; have always assumed it to stand for "Corsa" to indiciate that the drive side end of the spindle is of a length intended for two-plateau drive trains

since the BB fittings are Magistroni would think the chainset would be as well...

are there markings on the Y-adaptors? do they read Magistroni or do they read Simplex? Simplex ones come from the rather short-lived Simplex of Italy operation.
Y-adaptors were manufactured in both steel and in alloy. if you have the steel type count yourself fortunate as the alloy examples were fail prone.

unfortunately, information on Magistroni products as produced by the firm Officine Mecchaniche Giostra, is a scarce commodity. there is one enthusiast created web site which gives some here, in case you have not encountered it already:

Magistroni

---

shall look forward to seeing more images of the cycle when the two of you are once again united

thanks again for posting the bicycle and project!

-----
Just got back from France, had a few rather awesome rides on the Torpado - of note was a ride with a buddy in tow who wanted to experience a faster ridfe (he`s a gravel/commuter rider) so I dressed him up in Mercatone Uno gear and stuck him on my Bianchi Megapro and had him stick to the wheel while I dragged him along on the Torpado - Strava readings were rather good - hour and 10 minutes of riding, just over 400m climbing and average speed of 34kph - I was pretty impressed with the Torpado, though the brakes are rubbish despite better pads and cables...

Anyway, close up pics of the crankset - other than the "c" on the spindle and the "Torpado" on the crank there`s no other markings at all - no Magistroni or Simplex. The cranks were re-plated but not the rings or bottom bracket cups - all original.

Setting off with my Buddy Chris in tow on my Pantani Bianchi:

Crankset:

Pedal details:

Ambrosio Champion forged alloy stem and bars:
Likes For Dan Chase:
Old 08-24-20, 08:47 AM
juvela

-----

Wow!

Great update Don; thanks a bunch for this fine post with the new images.

Chainset photo shows me have made yet another o' me too many errors .

It be Way-Assauto rather than Magistroni.

Mark, proprietor of the condorino.com web site has explained to me the small details which permit one to tell the difference between the two makers.

It only makes sense since the cycle's headset is Way-Assauto.

The Sheffield pedals are part of the Corsa series of models as produced by the firm Industria Meccanica di Precisione Noli-Cattaneo & C. of Pavia.

Thank you once again for sharing this terrific project with the forum.

-----
Old 08-24-20, 10:32 AM
Dan Chase

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
-----

Wow!

Great update Don; thanks a bunch for this fine post with the new images.

Chainset photo shows me have made yet another o' me too many errors .

It be Way-Assauto rather than Magistroni.

Mark, proprietor of the condorino.com web site has explained to me the small details which permit one to tell the difference between the two makers.

It only makes sense since the cycle's headset is Way-Assauto.

The Sheffield pedals are part of the Corsa series of models as produced by the firm Industria Meccanica di Precisione Noli-Cattaneo & C. of Pavia.

Thank you once again for sharing this terrific project with the forum.

-----
Makes me wonder why this one has Way-Assauto headset and cranks - most Torpado Gran Sports I`ve looked at have a different Torpado embossed headset and Magistroni Cranks, though some are Simplex as well.

Anyone know much about Way-Assauto? Heard of them but know very little about them and/or quality, Dan.
Old 08-24-20, 10:56 AM
juvela

-----

Way-Assauto is yet in operation today.

Their manufacture of cycle fittings ended about 1972.

Way Assauto - The high quality shock absorber

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Way-Assauto

Some information and images of products is available at ClassicRendezvous:

Way-Assauto main

-----
Old 08-24-20, 05:43 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
-----

...Mark, proprietor of the condorino.com web site has explained to me the small details which permit one to tell the difference between the two makers.

It only makes sense since the cycle's headset is Way-Assauto...
-----
Juvela,
Could you please share with us those differences between the two makers?
Brent