Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour Superbe RD Part

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour Superbe RD Part

Old 08-08-20, 12:37 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Suntour Superbe RD Part

So, I installed this Superbe RD on my 1985 League Fuji this evening. (There's a whole saga about this simple change, which this post will studiously ignore.)

In the box was this little aluminum noodle / cable-guide-thingy:

I've never seen this part installed on a bike, so I assumed it was only used in certain situations and proceeded without it.

From what I can tell, installation proceeded as normal, and everything seems to work on the stand. (Test ride tomorrow.)

So, what is the noodle thing for, and did I screw up by not using it?

Thanks,
--Shannon
Old 08-08-20, 08:24 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
ShannonH Don't know and no screw up. If it works, your good! Enjoy!
Old 08-08-20, 08:54 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Did that come with a NIB first generation Superbe?

Is that the noodle for the Superbe Tech derailleur?

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-08-20, 09:30 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 845 Posts
That noodle has such a troublesome sharp/crude bend in it. No doubt would it feed the two-headed hydra of cable friction and cable elasticity, which, together, multiply in creating motion error between lever and component (derailer).

Might even lead to a broken brake cable if used for a brake cable hanger (as is common to find).

Major fail by whoever designed it AND whoever spec'd the OEM use of it.

I don't believe for one minute that it is a Suntour part.
Old 08-08-20, 01:11 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
The derailleur is (was) an NIB Superbe. 1980 date code. I got in in around 2005, when the shop I worked at bought another shop.

The noodly thing was in the bag with the derailleur. The finish on the aluminum is pretty much the same as on the derailleur. This things made me think it belonged in the box. Arguing against this is that the narrow end doesn't fit into the housing stop on the derailleur, it's too big. That makes me think it could be an adapter for some specific braze-on or clamp setup. The idea of it being for a Superbe Tech RD makes sense in that context... didn't the Superbe Tech require a funky cable routing, with a unique chainstay stop? Maybe it's an adapter for those bikes?

It's a mystery, for sure. I'm keeping the part, just because.

--Shannon