Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Lumos is back at it again... V2

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 08-12-20, 09:14 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts

Lumos now has a new Indiegogo campaign for their Version 2 helmet.

A little different styling with the new helmet. It is supposed to have a MIPS option, and I think better lights.

I'm not big on the idea of turn signals, but I don't think one needs to use the feature. Standard blink mode for the rear is an option.

The ad does list "only 5 or 6 left" of each "perk", but there were that many left a week ago.
Old 08-12-20, 09:23 PM
CliffordK

I suppose one question that I've run into. They list the helmets in the size:
  • Small (S): 51-55 cm / 20-21.6 in
  • Medium to Large (M-L): 54-61 cm / 21.3-24 in
  • Extra Large (XL): 61-65 cm / 24-25.6 in
I've tried to measure my head, and my measurements vary between 23 1/2" and 24".

That puts me right on the division between ML & XL.

I'm leaning towards XL and using slightly thicker pads if I can. Let's see, circumference = πD. So, an extra inch in circumference equates to a little over 1/4" in total space around the head, distributed to half of each side of the head.

I suppose I should ask them if the shell sizes are the same and the foam is different between models.
Old 08-12-20, 09:55 PM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I suppose one question that I've run into. They list the helmets in the size:
  • Small (S): 51-55 cm / 20-21.6 in
  • Medium to Large (M-L): 54-61 cm / 21.3-24 in
  • Extra Large (XL): 61-65 cm / 24-25.6 in
I've tried to measure my head, and my measurements vary between 23 1/2" and 24".

That puts me right on the division between ML & XL.

I'm leaning towards XL and using slightly thicker pads if I can. Let's see, circumference = πD. So, an extra inch in circumference equates to a little over 1/4" in total space around the head, distributed to half of each side of the head.

I suppose I should ask them if the shell sizes are the same and the foam is different between models.
If you use any kind of cap or visor under your helmet larger may be the way to go.

Glenn
Old 08-12-20, 10:43 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by GAtkins
If you use any kind of cap or visor under your helmet larger may be the way to go.

Glenn
There is a visor option for the Lumos (for a few extra $$$). I might look at it some, but for most of my helmets I've been removing the visors because in road riding position, the visors obscure the upper view.

I don't think I've ever worn a cycling cap.

I have used a knit cap off and on in the past, but for most of my riding it hasn't been necessary. I don't think I'd really need it until at least 25° or so.

I have, however, worn a sweat band at times. Not real thick, but as calculated above, it really wouldn't take much to affect the fit.

Anyway, as mentioned, I've been leaning towards the larger helmet. Unfortunately it is something that I can't just try.
Old 08-14-20, 04:22 AM
CliffordK

I sent a question about sizing to Lumos, and they also suggested going one size up. They also seemed to indicate that MIPS sizes might, in fact, be tighter than the regular helmets due to the extra layer. If true, that would be an odd design choice.