Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Loose Bicycle Racks! Beware!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-18, 10:49 AM
maallyn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Folks:

Before you lock your bike to that rack, please check to see that the rack itself is secure to the ground. I found two racks that were not fastened down at all and decided to make a brief video!

Enjoy!

Mark Allyn
Bellingham, Washington
Old 08-15-18, 11:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
hysterical
Old 08-15-18, 11:30 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Eh, that is still big and bulky enough I wouldn't be too worried.

That said, also inspect the integrity of the rack youre using. If there are stickers or tape that go all the way around, make sure someone hasnt pre-cut the rack, just to show up and slip your lock thrpugh the cut and take off.
Old 08-15-18, 11:34 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
This is normal. Most rack installations are for show, not for security.
Old 08-15-18, 12:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
And always check to make sure a signpost is firmly secured. Just because it looks like it is cemented into the ground doesn't mean t cannot be easily pulled up. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-15-18, 01:18 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Yeah I prefer light post or a tree or sturdy metal rails cemmented into the ground.

Avoid things that are bolted to the ground.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
And always check to make sure a signpost is firmly secured. Just because it looks like it is cemented into the ground doesn't mean t cannot be easily pulled up. Ask me how I know.
Hey, I'll admit to doing this, sometimes there's no great option however, with a little time an inginutiy street signs will give your bikes away...

As far as the OP's video, I'd still lock up my bike to a rack that moves. Because, as jefnvk said, "If it's big and bulky enough" you aint going far with my bike attached to it.

Old 08-15-18, 01:20 PM
CrewFan

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo, Breezer Liberty r 1.3+, Fuji Absolute 2.1

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Never would have thought to check to see if the bike rack is secured! 🤔
Old 08-15-18, 02:06 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Those little ones are especially bad; somebody could snatch both bike and rack and throw them in the back of a truck in seconds.
Old 08-15-18, 08:24 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
A supermarket where I live, there's a small bike rack right in front of the store not bolted to the ground. No one uses it! LOL

I lock my bike in back of the store away from foot traffic and hidden.
Old 08-15-18, 08:35 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Saw a bike today on a car rack. The rack was one of those "hang off the hatchback with some webbing" style -- it could be removed simply by slicing the webbing, or possibly even by sliding the hooks out of the hatchback door frame.

The bike was secured to this wimpy little car rack with the thickest U-lock I've ever seen, plus a cable lock about 3/8ths thick.

I wasn't sure if perhaps it was just a joke. If not, I remain stunned.
Old 08-15-18, 08:46 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
I prefer racks that have loops just for this reason. Even if the rack is not secured to the ground, the rack would have to be carried off with the bike.
Old 08-15-18, 10:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I encountered a situation similar to the OPs recently. The park system recently opened a new trail and our hiking group promptly scheduled a hike there. The trailhead is only about 8 miles from my house so I rode my bike out and was pleased to see a small shiny new bike rack. I locked up my bike and didn't look at the rack more closely since I was quickly engaged in conversation with some others in the group. But when we got back from the hike I noticed that the rack was moving a lot just from my fiddling with the lock. Turns out it was a very lightweight (<15 lbs.) aluminum rack that was just sitting on the ground with no attachment to anything. Anyone could easily pick it and any attached bicycles up and cart them off. I've since complained to both the park district and the city but haven't heard yet if any improvements have been made. Plenty of fence posts and trees to use instead, but the presence of a rack led me to use it instead without checking it out sufficiently.
Old 08-15-18, 11:15 PM
Nermal

Bikes: Giant Cypress SX

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DanBraden
Hey, I'll admit to doing this, sometimes there's no great option however, with a little time an inginutiy street signs will give your bikes away...

https://youtu.be/e--nV_bLDag

As far as the OP's video, I'd still lock up my bike to a rack that moves. Because, as jefnvk said, "If it's big and bulky enough" you aint going far with my bike attached to it.
Well yeah, that PD is like a watch dog. Sit there and watch.
Old 08-16-18, 05:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I usually have to use poles when I commute since by the time I arrive all the rack space is taken. Since it's in broad daylight with probably 100 people walking by my bike literally every minute or two and the distinct possibility of cops driving, riding or walking by, I am not concerned that something like that would happen.
Old 08-16-18, 04:25 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Three guys and a pickup.
Old 08-16-18, 04:52 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Three guys and a pickup.
Or the Boogyman on a scooter.
Old 08-16-18, 05:17 PM
DanBraden
Often on Fritz

Bikes: Franken-Fritz, Horse-Feathers, Junker

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Korina
Three guys and a pickup.
Well, it's technically possible I have no doubt. And it is true that if I were out with Feathers or a nicer bike I'd like more security, but Fritz is like an ugly baby, only beautiful to it's parent...

A fat 35 pound baby...
Old 08-17-18, 07:17 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Years ago in Boulder, CO, one of my friends was sitting at a coffee shop and looked out the window to see a group of guys come and pick up a bike rack full of (very nice) bikes, stick it in the back of a pickup truck, and drive away. Ever since then, I've been careful about making sure that racks are properly installed.

The one at the local Amtrak station is among those that are not secured. I got into it with the guy there because they have a policy that any bikes secured to anything other than the bike rack will be removed and impounded (because it apparently hurts the "historic beauty" of the crappy Amtrak station in a way that the parking lot does not?) Fortunately I had taken my beater frankenbike, and it survived my four day trip on the unsecured rack without incident.
Old 08-17-18, 08:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk

That said, also inspect the integrity of the rack youre using. If there are stickers or tape that go all the way around, make sure someone hasnt pre-cut the rack, just to show up and slip your lock thrpugh the cut and take off.
One of my co-workers on vacation with his wife saw two guys lift a full bike rack into a truck and drive away, while they were sitting at lunch. It is big and bulky but not impossible.
Old 08-17-18, 09:16 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

And make sure sign posts are bolted down if you decide to lock it to one of them
Old 08-17-18, 09:32 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
One of my co-workers on vacation with his wife saw two guys lift a full bike rack into a truck and drive away, while they were sitting at lunch. It is big and bulky but not impossible.
When it comes to bike theives, nothing is impossible. I aim to prevent the 99% of easy options, and hope there is a nicer bike than mine around when the 1% come snooping around me
Old 08-19-18, 01:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
When it comes to bike theives, nothing is impossible. I aim to prevent the 99% of easy options, and hope there is a nicer bike than mine around when the 1% come snooping around me
+1. I carry a 3 lb. Kryptonite chain for the tweakers, and lots of stickers on the bike for the real thieves, with the understanding that if someone really wants it, they will get it. And while I love my bike, I wouldn't mind upgrading. (Did that come out wrong?)