Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Creepy Crazy Cycling Cartoon Characters 👀

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Creepy Crazy Cycling Cartoon Characters 👀

Old 03-17-19, 08:27 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts

Old 03-17-19, 08:31 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 03-17-19, 09:07 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict

Aww Man, I thought this was Zippy. I'm so disappointed.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-17-19, 09:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by mcpastor
I just came back from visiting Cuba, and they get more use out of a heavy duty bike made in the early 1900’s than most would ever dream of.
Yeah, I just got back from Cuba a few weeks ago. Lots of rod-brake Chinese bikes there. Also lots of other more modern Chinese bikes in various stages of decrepitude. And lots of innovative end-user modifications to make bikes more universally useful. And met some roadies in Havana riding pretty modern carbon fiber bikes.
Old 03-17-19, 09:29 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 03-18-19, 07:05 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If I remember correctly, there was a comic book called CAT 5. I think I sent one or two (or the scans) to @Poguemahone. One of them parodied Grant Petersen a bit.

Some of you may remember a few strips from Calvin & Hobbes.... his dad was bike guy, and they played on that them a few times.

That's all I got.
Old 03-18-19, 09:00 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 376 Posts
Here's a Calvin and Hobbes plus a couple more:

Old 03-18-19, 09:12 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
@crank_addict, how do you curate these?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-18-19, 10:59 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 03-18-19, 11:02 AM
crank_addict
Banned

1898 plus a few from Illustrated Police News

Old 03-18-19, 11:05 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 03-18-19, 11:15 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Having seen a lot of old bike posters, I continue to be puzzled about why they were often based on racy female poses. One of the strangest ones is this one, from 1897, that features a nude lady chained to a well. I just don't understand the symbolism. I have heard that sex sells, but bondage!?
I’m familiar with this advertisement, having first seen it, circa 1974, in an art book at a University book store. It was created by Decam in 1897 and is based on Gérôme's famous work of the previous year. Lost in the underexposure at the bottom of the poster is the commissioner, Le Vélo- Caténol. Both works are based on an old French proverb, "La Verité sort du puits’, which translates to, “The Truth comes from wells” and can be paraphrased as having to dig deep to get to the bottom of things. The poster title itself, “La Vérité Assise”, means, “The Truth Established”.

The illustration, as appropriated by Decam, contains two recurring themes in early cycling advertisements, the bicycle as liberator of the female sex and the bicycle as panacea for the ills of an ever increasingly industrialized world.

In the Gérôme work, the naked female represents Truth coming out of the well. In classical painting, Truth is typically depicted naked, to signify purity of thought. There are a couple of stories as to the origin of the Naked Truth but I will not delve in them, as in the Decam poster uses nudity in another context. Nude females or those clad in diaphanous garments, were quite common in 1890s cycling advertisements and were not intended to be sexually stimulating. Nor were they aimed at male consumers. They were aimed directly at females and symbolized the appealing, liberating effect of bicycles. Until the arrival of the pneumatic tyred safety bicycle in the 1890s, the female figure was hidden under corsets, layers of pettycoats and floor length dresses. The bicycle ushered in the first reform in female fashion, freeing the female form with less restrictive garments, notably bloomers. More importantly, the bicycle allowed young females the freedom to venture away from under the watchful eyes of parents and chaperons. Early Edwardian era feminists considered the bicycle a symbol of independence and an activity where they were of equal status in a male dominated society. Consequently, in this case, the nudity represents female independence, freedom and reform attributable to cycling.

In the 1890s the bicycle was seen as a benevolent machine, potentially capable of curing the ills of the industrial world. This was another theme exploited in advertising of the era. This aspect is symbolized by the crankset and chain of the well's winch mechanism. The bicycle allows the common man to achieve what is at the bottom of the well and really important in life, physical health and mental health. The latter was achieved by being able to escape the dreary city and rejuvenate himself with the pleasures of the countryside. In this context, the bicycle chain attached to the female leg is not a restraint but symbolizes the bicycle as the link between female liberation and personal well being.

Of course, the advertising also makes the claim that the Caténol bicycle has been established as The Truth (i.e. the purest or best bicycle). The female looks like she's just come to that revelation.

If some of the symbolism sees obtuse, that was part of commercial illustration at the time. Most illustrators were classically trained and it was believed that art should demonstrate reticence, causing the viewer to think and use his imagination. Some of this belief continued into early advertising and the subject poster is an example of the approach, being based on a piece on classical art. If the artwork positively stimulates the mind, the product becomes more attractive by association.
Old 03-18-19, 11:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedofLite
Aww Man, I thought this was Zippy. I'm so disappointed.
That was my first thought as well. But here's something:

Old 03-18-19, 11:50 AM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
That was my first thought as well. But here's something:

Ahhhhh, much better. Thank you.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Old 03-18-19, 11:58 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
I’m familiar with this advertisement, having first seen it, circa 1974, in an art book at a University book store. It was created by Decam in 1897 and is based on Gérôme's famous work of the previous year. Lost in the underexposure at the bottom of the poster is the commissioner, Le Vélo- Caténol. Both works are based on an old French proverb, "La Verité sort du puits’, which translates to, “The Truth comes from wells” and can be paraphrased as having to dig deep to get to the bottom of things. The poster title itself, “La Vérité Assise”, means, “The Truth Established”.

The illustration, as appropriated by Decam, contains two recurring themes in early cycling advertisements, the bicycle as liberator of the female sex and the bicycle as panacea for the ills of an ever increasingly industrialized world.

In the Gérôme work, the naked female represents Truth coming out of the well. In classical painting, Truth is typically depicted naked, to signify purity of thought. There are a couple of stories as to the origin of the Naked Truth but I will not delve in them, as in the Decam poster uses nudity in another context. Nude females or those clad in diaphanous garments, were quite common in 1890s cycling advertisements and were not intended to be sexually stimulating. Nor were they aimed at male consumers. They were aimed directly at females and symbolized the appealing, liberating effect of bicycles. Until the arrival of the pneumatic tyred safety bicycle in the 1890s, the female figure was hidden under corsets, layers of pettycoats and floor length dresses. The bicycle ushered in the first reform in female fashion, freeing the female form with less restrictive garments, notably bloomers. More importantly, the bicycle allowed young females the freedom to venture away from under the watchful eyes of parents and chaperons. Early Edwardian era feminists considered the bicycle a symbol of independence and an activity where they were of equal status in a male dominated society. Consequently, in this case, the nudity represents female independence, freedom and reform attributable to cycling.

In the 1890s the bicycle was seen as a benevolent machine, potentially capable of curing the ills of the industrial world. This was another theme exploited in advertising of the era. This aspect is symbolized by the crankset and chain of the well's winch mechanism. The bicycle allows the common man to achieve what is at the bottom of the well and really important in life, physical health and mental health. The latter was achieved by being able to escape the dreary city and rejuvenateNude females or those clad in diaphanous garments, were quite common in 1890s cycling advertisements and were not intended to be sexually stimulating. himself with the pleasures of the countryside. In this context, the bicycle chain attached to the female leg is not a restraint but symbolizes the bicycle as the link between female liberation and personal well being.

Of course, the advertising also makes the claim that the Caténol bicycle has been established as The Truth (i.e. the purest or best bicycle). The female looks like she's just come to that revelation.

If some of the symbolism sees obtuse, that was part of commercial illustration at the time. Most illustrators were classically trained and it was believed that art should demonstrate reticence, causing the viewer to think and use his imagination. Some of this belief continued into early advertising and the subject poster is an example of the approach, being based on a piece on classical art. If the artwork positively stimulates the mind, the product becomes more attractive by association.
That was a major miscalculation there, at least in my case.
Old 03-18-19, 12:09 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts

Old 03-18-19, 12:15 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Terrific write, T-mar. Weird today that such a piece bothers people and so vastly misunderstood. Gawdforbid if one pointed this art to a granddaughter or old lady at the coffee house. Probably would be called in to the authorities. Lol

Yet fascinating how the humble bicycle machine and these subject matters reach everyone but also in different meanings.

To see what the artist is conveying can wildly swing one viewing as whimsical, cute, cultures to appallingly outrage. All part of history and our life with the bicycle.

-------

Old 03-18-19, 12:19 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Creepy in a sort of way... the Mothman
Old 03-18-19, 12:24 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Old 03-18-19, 12:33 PM
crank_addict
Banned

WWII

Old 03-18-19, 12:43 PM
crank_addict
Banned

How Mister Magoo warped kids into adulthood.

Old 03-18-19, 01:32 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
That was a major miscalculation there, at least in my case.
The only item in the poster that would have been considered scandalous at the time, would be the depiction of the navel. We laugh at that now but consider than Barabra Eden had to have hers covered in I Dream of Genie, even as late as the mid-1960s. In this case the bared navel was probably accepted as a concession to the piece of fine art of which the poster was based.
Old 03-18-19, 01:38 PM
T-Mar

Further to my 2nd previous post, I offer what I personally consider to be the definitive example of turn of the century bicycle advertising aimed at females and promoting the liberating aspect of cycling for the fairer sex. The semi-nude figure and diaphanous garment carry the recurring symbolism of woman freed from the constraints of traditional Victorian fashion. The low angle also symbolizes how the bicycle can elevate the status of women, and allow them to reach the stars, which in this case also symbolizes the Sirius brand. It also effectively imparts the desirable bicycle qualities of speed and lightness but perhaps best of all, the character's expression and pose display unbridled joy and freedom, something that females were desperately striving for in the era. Still, the artist must bow some decorum, with the cyclist being depicted sidesaddle to hide the genitals and a thin strap of material covering what would be considered a scandalous navel. FYI, the poster dates to 1899 and was created by Henry Gray for a Sirius bicycle dealer in Paris. The brand itself originated in Germany.
Old 03-18-19, 01:51 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
My guess is, that would be the goddess Mixte, inventing the woman's bike, so that women wouldn't need to ride side-saddle any more.
Old 03-18-19, 04:57 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Naked bike ride is once again popular. Sponsor by Pirelli

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.