Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ceramic bearings - any pros/cons?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 10:54 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts

I recently replaced the bearings in my rear wheel as well as in my bottom bracket. I replaced like-for-like, but in speaking with the fellow from the LBS he mentioned ceramic bearings. His comment was I may want to think about using ceramic bearings the next go around.

So here I am, posting so see what forum members think of ceramic bearings. Are they worth the added costs? Do they last longer? Etc. Thanks.
Old 09-08-19, 11:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Bicycles are not a heavy-duty application for bearings, so any advantage is likely to be minimal. You could overhaul and replace your bearings several times for the cost of a set of ceramic bearings. Unless someone else is paying for them (e.g. sponsored team), I'd pass.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-08-19, 11:44 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
The bearings are too hard for the races, according to an aerospace engineer.

2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 09-08-19, 12:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
They don't really net you much in the real world, especially given the cost.

OTOH some very nice hubsets come with them anyway, and would still be nice hubsets even with plain-old steel bearings.
Old 09-08-19, 03:28 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
In the R/C world, ceramic bearings are a necessity for many brushless motors-- I have several motors that will spin to 80,000+ RPM. I can't see any bearing on a bike ever exceeding even 500rpm.

Buy steel, replace them as often as you like. The typical cartridges used in bicycles can be had for $2-3 each, and will last thousands if not tens of thousands of miles.

If you want the absolute in chasing marginal gains, pull the seals out of the bearings, flush out the grease, and replace with a lightweight bearing oil.

Yeah, you'll have to re-oil before every ride, and the bearing life will be drastically reduced, but you're sure to free up a few watts.
Old 09-08-19, 04:44 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
The benefit I can see is that it would reduce the chance at creating corrosion, especially when the bicycle is not being used for lengths of times.
Old 09-08-19, 11:24 PM
smarkinson

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
I think most of the benefit is the bigger profit margins for the LBS.
Likes For smarkinson:
Old 09-09-19, 03:38 PM
studbike1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
don't waste your money.

the internals only last as long as the seals. once that seal is compromised, the bearing is going to fail soon thereafter no matter what.

it's a different discussion when dealing with high-speed machine bearings. they spin really fast, at constant speeds, for hours on end, and usually are not exposed to the elements. all of that tilts the balance towards wear-and-tear of the internals.
Old 09-10-19, 01:30 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
The benefit I can see is that it would reduce the chance at creating corrosion, especially when the bicycle is not being used for lengths of times.
I don't find this to be an issue on any reasonably well sealed loose bearing set (esp. Shimano labyrinth sealed hubs) that has been properly lubricated. You might be amazed at the destroyed and gunked up drivetrains that, when disassembled, reveal clean grease in the hub bearings.
Old 09-10-19, 01:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Personally I'd take the ceramic bearings suggestion as a joke, so as not to be offended by it.
Old 09-10-19, 02:16 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
I tried a set of wheels with ceramic bearings. It's marketing, nothing more. Pass.
Old 09-10-19, 02:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
There's a bit of weight lightening. Unfortunately, it's all in your wallet.
Likes For caloso:
Old 09-10-19, 04:09 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I do both - a lot. It is not just the bearing, it is the market they are after and what comes with it. Many ceramic bearings use very light oil and non-contact seals. If you did that on steel you would feel a difference. I can't find that in steel. They are also lighter. Every time ours are used in rain or grit, or someone washes the bike with a sprayer - things get ruined.

Way back in the loose ball days, light oil on steel good bearings would spin really free. But I'm not doing loose balls anymore. Many ceramic bearings are hybrid with ceramic balls and steel races. These press in better. I think those are more suitable for hubs.

Anyway, yes - they make a huge difference is a very small area. So net might be a few watts - <1%, but it all adds up. I'd focus on RD pulleys first - mostly for seals. But the difference is huge compared to other pulleys, but insignificant in the whole bike system.

I'm made fun of often for my little bit here and there (on kid's setup) and then folks complain that he had an unfair advantage.

Edit/Add: My kids climbing bike/my hobby saves around 10-15W total on chain, pulleys, BB, pedals, hubs over std "pro" setup. I also disassemble and re-do the freewheel. I believe, he believes, it makes a difference. It may not. But in many Strava segments riders of equal mass show much more power and go no faster. Most of that, I expect is he has a hub meter and they have pedal ones. That also speaks to friction loss.

As much of cycling is about art and emotion, then sure, save a few grams reduce bearing friction by 50% or more depending on where you use them and have fun. I doubt you will feel it. But you might.

Last edited by Doge; 09-10-19 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-10-19, 04:46 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by horatio
The bearings are too hard for the races, according to an aerospace engineer.
I watched this after my last post. He makes assumptions that we are dealing with hybrid and BB and hubs.

The BB data for Enduro Ceramic (what I use) is .13W vs .48W. ~300-~400% - huge.
He made the point on seals - yes. Seals he shows are 60%. And the cage. Just that if you want non-contact seals - you buy ceramic, or swap them.
His illustration was a larger steel bearing with steel cage. The best ones are a plastic variant - maybe Teflon. So IMO he briefly mentions the most important stuff and went on to meaningless stuff.
He is misguided, or misguiding.

FULL (inner, outer race and bearings) Ceramic RD pulleys are barely under load.

Want to save friction? Then 1st buy a Shimano Dura-Ace chain. Second - buy cheap full ceramic pulleys. Next the BB and then the hubs. Do all and you may notice.
Old 09-10-19, 04:52 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
There's a bit of weight lightening. Unfortunately, it's all in your wallet.
Damn, beat me to it

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 09-10-19, 05:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I watched this after my last post. He makes assumptions that we are dealing with hybrid and BB and hubs.

The BB data for Enduro Ceramic (what I use) is .13W vs .48W. ~300-~400% - huge.
He made the point on seals - yes. Seals he shows are 60%. And the cage. Just that if you want non-contact seals - you buy ceramic, or swap them.
His illustration was a larger steel bearing with steel cage. The best ones are a plastic variant - maybe Teflon. So IMO he briefly mentions the most important stuff and went on to meaningless stuff.
He is misguided, or misguiding.

FULL (inner, outer race and bearings) Ceramic RD pulleys are barely under load.

Want to save friction? Then 1st buy a Shimano Dura-Ace chain. Second - buy cheap full ceramic pulleys. Next the BB and then the hubs. Do all and you may notice.

So you save 3/10ths of a Watt in the context of a system with 100s of watts of aerodynamic resistance. Absolutely huge.
Old 09-10-19, 05:43 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
So you save 3/10ths of a Watt in the context of a system with 100s of watts of aerodynamic resistance. Absolutely huge.
His numbers are deceiving. A Ceramic BB vs a Steel one is more like 3-6W. That 3/10th watt due to seals, not bearings. That part was addressed in the video, but largely ignored.

My post before makes it clear that it is a huge difference on a small thing.

In an ITT - all ceramic vs steel can be worth a couple places. If you care about that stuff it matters. Again, not due to ceramic or bearings, but due to the other stuff that you get with them - no seals, loose etc.

I don't buy Ceramic Speed as I don't think it is worth it, but happy to spend $20 for full ceramic pulleys. I pay about $40 more for the Wheels Mfg ceramic bearings shown.

There was a company called "Friction Facts" that used to test all this stuff. They were bought by Ceramic Speed. Pulleys 1.337 W between least and most efficient. Pedals 1.2W difference. 3-4W on chain then - and more now. The Dura-Ace chain is about 5W, others are 10W.

Anyway add it all up and you get over 10W. Many can feel 10W.
Old 09-10-19, 05:55 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
1st vs 2nd or 3rd place in an ITT.

Obviously this is a performance thread. If you are just tooling around, why would you care.​​​​​​ If you want to get to work faster - get a motor.

Context. Guy on top had ceramic bearings. 2nd, a later world junior ITT champion and new WT contract rider didn't. The difference was .6 sec.
HUGE difference to me, easily worth the $100.
YMMV.
Old 09-10-19, 06:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
If durability is the goal, keep the traditional hub serviced and it will last tens of thousands of miles. For example, I have a hub set from 1986, Campy NR, with at least 50,000 miles on them, and they are still spinning along beautifully. The hubs don't even have seals. I service them once a year now, but back when I was racing on them I serviced them once every two months, but was hammering the miles rain or shine. Honestly, they spin as well as the DT Swiss 350 hubs I got this summer. Still using the original balls, too. Smooth as a baby's rear end!

If speed in fractions of a second over a 20 mile or whatever course is the concern, then you just may benefit from them, but honestly, I doubt you will win any races because you are running ceramic bearings. What JohnDThompson said just makes sense.
Old 09-10-19, 06:16 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
A Ceramic BB vs a Steel one is more like 3-6W.
What?

between least and most efficient.
Not a useful way of approaching the issue. A common theme with friction tests is that there'll be a few items that perform extremely badly on the slow end, but most things will be closely-spaced. For instance, in the 2013 FrictionFacts BB test, the slowest BB was about half a watt slower than the second-slowest, but about the top 2/3rds the BBs all performed within half a watt of each other.

So unless you're in the rather terrible situation of always using the absolutely slowest parts on everything, realistic gains tend to be tiny compared with what a "best versus worst" comparison might suggest.
Old 09-10-19, 06:19 PM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
The ceramic-bearing-titanium-spindle square taper bottom brackets are 160g compared to 250-330g for typical BBs but I suspect they aren't as durable. I'm tempted to try one though. The bearing races are metal so it doesn't really solve the corrosion problem.
Old 09-10-19, 06:32 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by HTupolev
What?

I thought what I typed was clear. I'll repeat - it is not the bearings as much as the seals and grease and cages. But the net result is if you buy a Wheels Mfg Ceramic BB - you will see 3-4 W difference over the Shimano
on my desk that I just took a picture of for you. Actually, I can't speak to that one as it is NIB, but I have replaced others. If I don't replace I cut out the seal dragging on the inner race.

This

vs This

Here are bigger claims - I am not making.
When added to the full CeramicSpeed component upgrade (the OSPW System, Bottom Bracket and Wheel Kit), chain optimisation can take the total saving to between 10-16 watts.
https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycl...n-shimano-11s/
Old 09-10-19, 06:48 PM
Doge

Pulleys do not take much load. A ceramic pulley here. It has light oil and non contact seals.
Old 09-10-19, 07:35 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
I thought what I typed was clear. I'll repeat - it is not the bearings as much as the seals and grease and cages. But the net result is if you buy a Wheels Mfg Ceramic BB - you will see 3-4 W difference over the Shimano
on my desk that I just took a picture of for you.
What you typed was clear, what's unclear is where the 3-4 watts claim comes from and what its context is.
Old 09-10-19, 07:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
What you typed was clear, what's unclear is where the 3-4 watts claim comes from and what its context is.
I think what is clear is that the poster is citing data provided by the very same companies that are selling the expensive ceramic bearings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.