Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Pinarello sizing? run large? specifically looking at Gan

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-05-20, 10:05 AM
mully024

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Trying to size a Pinarello Gan, unfortunately cannot try in person first due to a number of reasons. I am 6' even, and a 33" inseam using the competitive cyclist measuring guide. It is first road bike so don't have a ton to compare it to as all the previous bikes I've been using have been loaners in the 56 and 58 size but various brands. I did recently try a 58cm Specialized Tarmac which felt too large for me...

In the Gan I am thinking either the 56 or the 57.5 but can't decide... the reach on the 57.5 Gan is similar to the 56 Specialized Tarmac, but also has a higher stack, i.e., similar to the 58 Tarmac... I am also concerned that the reach numbers don't take in to account the seat tube angle, so not sure if that would push the 57.5 Gan close to the 58 Tarmac (which was too big for me), if that even makes sense.

I have read that the Pinarellos run large in sizing so most size down one in them, but not sure if this is accurate, any insight is appreciated, I can provide more measurements if helpful.
Old 05-06-20, 06:41 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Start with your saddle height, not your inseam measurement. Stack tells the vertical size of the frame and reach tells you the length, without the influence of the seat tube angle. The seat tube angle only effects the seatpost setback that might be needed. Never use saddle position to adjust reach.

Also keep in mind that reach can only be compared at one stack height. If you compare two frames with a 20mm stack height difference, subtract 6mm from the reach of the smaller frame, assuming that 20mm of spacer will be used to match the stack of the larger frame.

As an example, my saddle height is 73cm. I have a frame with a 527mm stack that increases to 542mm, just by using the standard headset top. I use a -17 (horizontal) stem to produce a large 10cm saddle to bar drop. A -6 stem will raise the bars by about 2cm.

If the inseam that you quoted is a cycling inseam, your saddle height might only be 1cm more than mine. If it's a pants inseam, which is irrelevant, then your saddle height would be much higher.

I pay no attention to frame size numbers. The stack and reach are all that matters, when figuring out the fit. Saddle to bar drop is the tough one for most people. If you're trying out bikes, most will have a lot of spacer under the stem and may have a high rise stem that further raises the bars. I have the opposite setup - no spacers and a horizontal stem.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 05-06-20 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-06-20, 09:29 AM
joelcool

Bikes: Road, Commuter, Mountain, Tandem and a couple others

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 27 Posts
I am 6' tall and am very happy with my 56 cm K8.
Old 05-06-20, 09:33 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
While height is relevant, short or long legs and desired saddle to bar drop can easily alter the frame size by 4cm, so anyone wanting accurate advice needs to post all pertinent information.