Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Big dude that is trying to build a more comfortable bike and get back into riding

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Big dude that is trying to build a more comfortable bike and get back into riding

Old 06-22-20, 09:33 PM
Tednighs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I am new to the group, but was a pretty avid cyclist about 10 years ago, and would do about 60 to 75 miles a week. I absolutely loved to ride, but since I was in my late teens and early 20s And broke at the time I was always riding frames from the 70s or before, with parts I was constantly pulling off bikes I would buy at garage sales or bikes I would pull from the trash, it never bothered me and I seemed to have an endless supply to keep building these Frankenstein bikes. I know I shouldn’t of ever stopped but life got in the way of me being able to spend my days doing what I loved. Recently I was given a new used bike from my grandpa, a bianchi sport xs and it has totally rekindled the joy of riding again, but I have put on a significant amount of weight in the last 10 years, probably about an additional 120lbs, and am finding out that there are a whole set of aches and pain that come with that added weight. I would really appreciate any advice/recommendations on saddles and other parts that could help ease some of these issues and allow me to ride longer distances Again.
Old 06-23-20, 01:16 AM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome back to cycling. I returned to my bikes again this year after a short time away and also put on a few lbs while away. Before you start changing anything ask yourself a few questions.
Have you got the saddle set correctly? Is this bike the correct size? Are the handlebars set to the correct height and position for you?
If you are happy with the answers to these questions, remember it takes a few weeks to build up the miles / kms. Don't be in too much of a rush to replace things on your bike until you have done the basic fit above and cycled for an hour or so a day for a couple of weeks.
Best of luck
Likes For sledgefisher:
Old 06-23-20, 05:56 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
When I restarted my bicycle hobby it wasn't to lose a lot of weight. I was in fact what would be commonly called skinny but out of shape anyway. Between the day I first mounted my bicycle and today I have made numerous visits to the hurt locker. Hands in particular were so bad I considered cutting my losses and finding another hobby.

The reason I say this is if an individual is getting back to riding a bike and intends to take it seriously then for different reasons and with different solutions he/she will still have aches and pains. A simple ride around the block will probably not cause any discomfort but start putting on the miles and things will be different.

BTW as I mentioned I wasn't looking to lose weight but have lost some anyway. After the first few weeks I put on a few pounds but then started to shed more and in the last 6 months have lost 23 pounds. I do not want to lose any more.

I hope you find your happiness in and exercise in bicycling. I believe what you are up against is more mental than physical. Set some tough but realistic goals and be flexible but take any move, however small in the right direction as a win. If your goal is to lose 50 pounds in a year then work hard at it but if you only lose 40 pounds you still won. But you have to think long terms with baby steps. Once things start moving in the right direction you will compartmentailze your aches and pains and deal with them in order of severity. Routine becomes obsession which will lead to doing longer and more challenging bike rides and buying expensive bikes and bike related brick-a-brac.
Old 06-23-20, 06:48 AM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I suggest a large saddle.

I suggest raising the handlebars, so you sit more upright, and have less weight on your hands.

You decide what is best for you.
Old 06-23-20, 07:10 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Drop bar road bikes are in no way comfortable to ride when carrying excessive weight. Nothing much can be done about it really as they were never designed/built with comfort in mind from the start. They are designed primarily for efficiency and/or racing.

For comfort your going to have to sit more upright and use wider tires. MTN bikes fitted with slick road tires are far more comfortable to ride than racing bikes.
Old 06-23-20, 07:33 AM
sledgefisher

Bikes: 1968 - Peugeot PR10 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1987 / 1987 Gitane Super Corsa Reynolds 531, 1969 Moulton Super, 2020 Kona Dew Deluxe

Originally Posted by AnthonyG
For comfort your going to have to sit more upright and use wider tires. MTN bikes fitted with slick road tires are far more comfortable to ride than racing bikes.
This may be your opinion, however I have found the opposite to be true. My thick tyred commuter bike with MTB geometry and setup only carries me about 20 miles without real pain. My drop handle barred bike with 28c tyres carries me endless miles without any real discomfort. When returning to cycling the trick is to break yourself in gently with a well fitted bike.
Likes For sledgefisher:
Old 06-23-20, 07:47 AM
Tednighs

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
Drop bar road bikes are in no way comfortable to ride when carrying excessive weight. Nothing much can be done about it really as they were never designed/built with comfort in mind from the start. They are designed primarily for efficiency and/or racing.

I have never been one for mountain bikes, and it’s not so much that I am expecting a leisurely ride, if that were the case I’d get a cruiser. It’s more that there’s certain things like my hands and ass that hurt like never before when I ride. I have a bike I really enjoy I am more just asking for advice on minor adjustments I could make to this bike I currently am using.
Old 06-23-20, 08:12 AM
sledgefisher

Originally Posted by Tednighs
I have never been one for mountain bikes, and it’s not so much that I am expecting a leisurely ride, if that were the case I’d get a cruiser. It’s more that there’s certain things like my hands and ass that hurt like never before when I ride. I have a bike I really enjoy I am more just asking for advice on minor adjustments I could make to this bike I currently am using.
When I returned to cycling I found the same things. Sheldon Brown's website was a great help to me on bike adjustments saddle setup and bike fit.
Tyre pressure is a big contribution to your overall comfort on a bike also.
Old 06-23-20, 01:24 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Tednighs

Might want to post in the Clydesdale/Athena forum as well--basically, it sounds like you're looking for parts and adjustments and the members there might have some tips specific to your type of bike and size.

To be honest, I tried biking when I was about 120-140 pounds heavier than I am now, and I really couldn't hack it. I came back to it after I had lost the excess weight and am now riding very long distances. Hopefully, if you work out the aches and pains, your ability to distance ride with weight will be better than mine and you won't have to wait to do this great activity.

Good luck to you!
Old 06-23-20, 01:26 PM
RH Clark

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Honestly,at more than 100 lbs overweight,you are just going to have to do the common sense stuff like a heavier built bike with larger seat and drop some weight. I have personally lost nearly 190 lbs in just 2 years cycling going from 360lbs to just over 170lbs in about a year and a half. Diet did it though rather than cycling. I gave up all sugar and processed foods. Cycling will help but you won't ever out exercise a poor diet.
Likes For RH Clark: