Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Touring in the US in the age of COVID-19

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Touring in the US in the age of COVID-19

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 06:57 AM
balto charlie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 99 Posts
Surprisingly there cyclists doing long tours in the U.S. I was invited, but declined on a trip from Seattle to Michigan. My friend went and seems to be enjoying it. Lots of things are closed and he has had to adjust.

For me I canceled everything this year and we had some splendid adventures planned, biking and non-biking.

I do plan on bike touring but will keep it close to home. I have been exploring a lot of the gravel trails in N. Virginia. They are semi-rural so I believe stealth camping is possible. The biggest obstacle is our current heat, friggin' hot these days. I also plan on some gravel touring in West Virginia, much much cooler temperature and they have wonderful gravel roads. My favorite east coast state for stealth camping. Before I go I want to review W. Va. current COVID status. They were low but a lot of non mask wearing folks in that state. This makes me think their cases will rise and their hospitals a poorly equipped to handle a huge onslaught of patients.

I think if one can carry everything, need only food refills (or carry enough for entire short trip), filter water, stealth camping then I think a COVID free trip is very possible. One just needs to find the perfect area and the U.S. has many of these across the country.

Keep it close to home, wear a mask, keep your distance and enjoy.