Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Coronavirus/COVID-19
Reload this Page >

Former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain dies after battle with coronavirus

Notices
Coronavirus/COVID-19 Discussion of the novel coronavirus

Former GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain dies after battle with coronavirus

Old 07-30-20, 11:12 AM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts

Herman Cain dies of COVID

Cain had attended Trumpís rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, less than two weeks before receiving his diagnosis.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 07-30-20, 11:15 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 4626 Post(s)
Liked 1,010 Times in 691 Posts
This is of course sad news. The US now stands virtually alone with its uniquely terrible response to the coronavirus. Over 150,000 Americans have died. Other nations have managed to deal with this so much better than we have. That is the real story of the pandemic.
Old 07-30-20, 12:02 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 190 Posts
Sad, is the grandfather dying because his grand-daughter had to party.... Sad is a child being run down and killed by a company's decision to hire and push hard unqualified "drivers" so the company can take advantage of a pandemic.... Sad, is a life based on hoarding wealth and leading an extravagant life while denying it to over 99% of the world through your greed and decisions.... Sad is continuing those wholly unbeneficial decisions to the bitter end....

The finality was predictable....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 07-30-20, 12:29 PM
CharlesClark

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Too many people have died and there are some that still don't believe in it. We should take it serious.
Likes For CharlesClark:
Old 07-30-20, 01:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11732 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,896 Posts
The ultimate price for ďHere. Hold my beer.Ē
Old 07-30-20, 01:07 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Breezer Radar

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1618 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 352 Posts
Likes For tyrion:
Old 07-30-20, 01:27 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "Frankentrek"/"Camel-Trek"

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 271 Times in 190 Posts
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NBh895KdXAU

Last edited by Digger Goreman; 08-01-20 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 01:31 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 256 Posts
I'm convinced there is a serious streak of insanity that runs through many people. An example among many is the man who proclaimed to be anti abortion and believed in the sanctity of life but then waited outside an abortion clinic and gunned down the MD. In delusional people the thinking seems to fall into a rut and can't see a way out. Examples are to be found not just in extreme behavior like the example just cited. It is found in supposedly rational people such as the WHO that had evidence in hand about covid-19 infection but did not soon enough credit that evidence because they thought they already had an answer. There was a very good article in a Sunday NY Times several weeks ago about this. They failed to ask questions and if you do not ask questions you never learn anything. Those who deny the pandemic are also delusional but I can't imagine what premise they are operating from. In any case, an inability to deal with reality is a quite good definition of insanity.
Likes For berner:
Old 07-30-20, 01:50 PM
3alarmer
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Quoted: 18667 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,609 Posts
...in his death, as in his life, @ THEHermanCain stands as a valuable example to all of us.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 07-30-20, 02:07 PM
indyfabz

I seriously doubt he denied it. I think he rolled the dice to support his ideology and ended up crapping out. After all, most of the people who become infected survive.
Old 07-30-20, 02:16 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 524 Posts
Whoa, just saw some of his tweets in the P&R Amusing Images thread.
Old 07-30-20, 09:55 PM
Goofball

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Impeach trump again, for murder
🐙
🚽
Old 07-31-20, 11:35 AM
Tony P.

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Goofball View Post
Impeach trump again, for murder
🐙
🚽
Donald J. Trump is the dully (correct spelling) elected President of the United States. He was elected, in part, because many of those who complain now had better things to do on November 8, 2016 than vote. If the same thing happens again on November3,2020 we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

In my view, impeachment is a bad idea because it means others have to make up for what Americans failed to do in 2016. Complaining is good, but voting is better.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 07-31-20, 12:08 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4821 Post(s)
Liked 1,560 Times in 879 Posts
I guess after he beat the 30% odds to survive colon and liver cancer, he figured he was bulletproof. Turns out he was 74, had chemotherapy a decade ago, and was probably in the absolute highest risk group for COVID-19.
Old 07-31-20, 11:31 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 72 Posts
It's sad to hear when anyone dies before their time. Herman Cain was not the kind of person I would have supported,
yet it is sad, to see somebody die (partly?) because of their support of a particular political ideology.
Likes For skookum:
Old 08-02-20, 08:11 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 8878 Post(s)
Liked 1,233 Times in 848 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I seriously doubt he denied it. I think he rolled the dice to support his ideology and ended up crapping out. After all, most of the people who become infected survive.
But "surviving" after a serious avoidable disease is not the same as simply not having it, through relatively easy means. Surviving means seriously ill in many cases, and potential long term negative effects. Wouldn't be far better just to avoid it? As the old saying goes: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If you hate wearing a mask... I really doubt you'll enjoy wearing a ventilator.
Likes For genec:
Old 08-02-20, 08:25 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,400 Times in 713 Posts
I think, fundamentally, the collective IQ of the body politic of the US has uniquely regressed to the point where a large percentage of the population now view science as nothing more than an ideological set of opinions that they are "free" to disagree with, with no negative consequences.

This did not happen spontaneously, nor did it happen overnight. It has taken many years of very dedicated efforts, undermining the educational system and morphing the news media into organs of partisan propaganda (Faux news is only one extreme example of a systemic problem).

This hasn't happened to nearly the same extent in Europe or other English-speaking nations, and the differences are quantifiable, in the infection rate and death tolls.

Last edited by wgscott; 08-02-20 at 08:30 AM.
Likes For wgscott:
Old 08-02-20, 08:31 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by genec View Post
But "surviving" after a serious avoidable disease is not the same as simply not having it, through relatively easy means. Surviving means seriously ill in many cases, and potential long term negative effects. Wouldn't be far better just to avoid it? As the old saying goes: "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

If you hate wearing a mask... I really doubt you'll enjoy wearing a ventilator.
Of course it would be better to avoid it (at least if self preservation is an instinct you possess), but thatís not how his ilk think. ďI will roll the dice because even if I get it most people donít get seriously ill or die.Ē He crapped out. But my original point was that I donít think he denied the existence of the disease. I think he took a chance and lostóbig time.

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-02-20 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 08:36 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
This is of course sad news. The US now stands virtually alone with its uniquely terrible response to the coronavirus. Over 150,000 Americans have died. Other nations have managed to deal with this so much better than we have. That is the real story of the pandemic.
History rarely is generous enough to provide us with a controlled experiment for interpreting an event. In this case we have an abundance of controls (Europe, Asian countries including China, and at the other extreme, Brazil). We will fail to learn from this at our own peril.
Old 08-02-20, 08:42 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
I think, fundamentally, the collective IQ of the body politic of the US has uniquely regressed to the point where a large percentage of the population now view science as nothing more than an ideological set of opinions that they are "free" to disagree with, with no negative consequences.

This did not happen spontaneously, nor did it happen overnight. It has taken many years of very dedicated efforts, undermining the educational system and morphing the news media into organs of partisan propaganda .
>>> twilight falls slowly and then comes the dark
Old 08-02-20, 08:49 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
History rarely is generous enough to provide us with a controlled experiment for interpreting an event. In this case we have an abundance of controls (Europe, Asian countries including China, and at the other extreme, Brazil). We will fail to learn from this at our own peril.
This is exactly right. We are running what social scientists call a natural experiment. The results are in. No administration in a wealthy, advanced democracy has done as poor a job with this as the US. The president's lack of competence in running the machinery of government and disregard for science are in full display.

This is precisely when you need a federal government to set out a national plan. As of today there is no plan, testing is inadequate, contact tracing a joke, and many governors--including that of my state Iowa--refuse to take this seriously. Opening up schools and colleges under these circumstances will compound the problem.

Last edited by bikemig; 08-02-20 at 11:57 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-02-20, 09:12 AM
gear64

Bikes: Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P. View Post
Donald J. Trump is the dully (correct spelling) elected President of the United States. He was elected, in part, because many of those who complain now had better things to do on November 8, 2016 than vote. If the same thing happens again on November3,2020 we'll have no one to blame but ourselves.

In my view, impeachment is a bad idea because it means others have to make up for what Americans failed to do in 2016. Complaining is good, but voting is better.
I believe this is true in large part, but I also know people I would not have thought in a million years would support Trump outright, but did so to spite Clinton thinking what's the worst that can happen. I know some that regret it and some that still think it was the lessor of evils even though they admittedly think he's an ass. I do not know how any those folks voted in the primaries, but beside myself he actually got the far. I literally wept the morning I woke up and found he pulled it off.

PS, rural MO is full of pro Trump bill boards, and field signs.

Last edited by gear64; 08-02-20 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-02-20, 09:29 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1022 Post(s)
Liked 1,006 Times in 701 Posts
Finally, I can post in P&R.

Oh . . . wait . . .
Old 08-02-20, 09:41 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by FiftySix View Post
Finally, I can post in P&R.

Oh . . . wait . . .
talking about COVID without talking about how poorly the US is doing compared to other wealthy democracies around the globe ignores the elephant in the room.

Death rates in the US are shockingly high compared to other wealthy (i.e., those with first class medical systems) democracies:

https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...26i-story.html

Last edited by bikemig; 08-02-20 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-02-20, 09:58 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by bikemig View Post
talking about COVID without talking about how poorly the US is doing compared to other wealthy democracies around the globe ignores the elephant in the room.
Also, if someone argues being ordered to put on a mask is a form of tyranny and oppression, and someone else counters, "no, it is a science-based public health directive", the respondent isn't engaging in a political discussion. Rather, they are pointing out this shouldn't be a political debate.
Likes For wgscott:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.