Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trek better than Cervelo?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 10:45 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

Is Trek considered a better bike than Cervelo? I'm looking at a Trek Domane SL7 Di2 and the new Cervelo Caledonia Di2. The specs are pretty similar but the Caledonia is $1500 cheaper than the Trek. Haven't been real impressed with my Domane SL5 as I have had problems right from the start with it. My LBS has been great and eventually got it straightened out. I bought a Trek because that is what my LBS sold in my price range. I'd like to move up to Di2 and I'm looking at these bikes. The price makes the Caledonia very attractive. I'm pretty new to cycling and not all that knowledge about the different brands. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 08-03-20, 11:09 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Ride both and buy the one that fits best.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-03-20, 11:16 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
It's a frame & fork with same (?) component parts .. After sale support ? Trek has a lot more retail dealers.. ..

Seems your issue is with the dealer, not the bike brand..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-20 at 11:22 AM.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 08-03-20, 11:25 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
Tough call since the Caledonia's pretty new, but I've been extreeeemly happy with my R3. Looking at the bikeradar "pre-review" -- looks like they've done some really smart mods to the R design. Have to agree w/ Glenn, above, nonetheless, fit is paramount. If you don't notice much difference, then buy the one you think is cooler - the second most important factor.
Old 08-03-20, 11:28 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Personally I would pass on any bike with a press-fit bottom bracket. That is my opinion based on experience and feed back from close friends.

What is so compelling about Di2?

That money over mechanical could go into better wheels which are generally pretty poor on complete bikes.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-03-20, 02:55 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
It's a frame & fork with same (?) component parts .. After sale support ? Trek has a lot more retail dealers.. ..

Seems your issue is with the dealer, not the bike brand..

No problem with the dealer, they've been great. Just asking if Trek is considered a better bike than Cervelo and of course I'd ride both before buying.
Old 08-03-20, 03:06 PM
fietsbob
Banned

"Better" is an Opinion, you are welcome to form your own..

My LBS sells Trek since 88, but nobody here has Carbon Di 2 kind of money ..
Or, if they got more than basic $ they go eBike electric assist, instead.

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-03-20 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 03:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
I'd go with the Cervelo Caledonia & dump the savings into accessories, new wheels, & a nice tall glass of your choice of beverage.
Old 08-03-20, 03:33 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by fietsbob
"Better" is an Opinion, you are welcome to form your own..
Yes it is. I was hoping to get some input from those more knowledgeable than myself
Old 08-03-20, 03:34 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I'd go with the Caledonia, with Ultegra mechanical. Then upgrade the wheels.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 08-03-20, 04:00 PM
Mulberry20

I would say they are equal bikes in quality. Trek however will give you much more reliable service. Cervelo is not a big brand for any independent retailer.

They are both mid-quality bikes that in either case would be great to own but if you get the Cervelo and the bottom bracket creaks, you will regret not keeping the Domane or getting another with a threaded bottom bracket.

Look at Specialized too.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 08-03-20, 04:10 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
How is your Cervelo dealer? Your prior trek had problems but the dealer helped to get things worked out. Would your Cervelo dealer do the same? How hard are you on bikes? I have heard bad stories of people having to work with Cervelo regarding damaged frames. Not so much with Trek. Also, Trek appears to have dropped the price on the Trek Domane SL7 Di2 making it about $500 above the Cervelo.
Old 08-03-20, 04:11 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I would say they are equal bikes in quality. Trek however will give you much more reliable service. Cervelo is not a big brand for any independent retailer.

They are both mid-quality bikes that in either case would be great to own but if you get the Cervelo and the bottom bracket creaks, you will regret not keeping the Domane or getting another with a threaded bottom bracket.

Look at Specialized too.
If the bicycle has no major quality build issues within a season of riding, it would be safe to rely on it for a longer timeframe. TREK may be bigger as a business, but they have not shown me that they are superior than a smaller business when it comes to needing help with the products they've sold. If anything, a smaller business is likely to work harder to satisfy a customer or potential customer in order to established a good name for themselves.
Old 08-03-20, 04:57 PM
fietsbob
Banned

I'm more a hand made steel frame & fork fan myself..
Old 08-03-20, 05:12 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
I'm still seeing $6000 for the Trek and $4500 for the Cervelo. The Trek has carbon wheels and threaded bottom bracket. I'd be tempted to investigate, see if one of the threaded conversions is available for the Cervelo. If the price difference actually has come down to $500, it would be worth that for the threaded BB alone, IMO.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-03-20, 05:41 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by vespasianus
How is your Cervelo dealer? Your prior trek had problems but the dealer helped to get things worked out. Would your Cervelo dealer do the same? How hard are you on bikes? I have heard bad stories of people having to work with Cervelo regarding damaged frames. Not so much with Trek. Also, Trek appears to have dropped the price on the Trek Domane SL7 Di2 making it about $500 above the Cervelo.
Same dealer for both. Sounds like Trek is the safer buy.
Likes For Gundo:
Old 08-03-20, 05:48 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Are you in northern NJ? If so Garrisons in Wilmington can’t be beat for Cervelo
Old 08-03-20, 05:57 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by StanSeven
Are you in northern NJ? If so Garrisons in Wilmington can’t be beat for Cervelo
I'm in northwest NJ
Old 08-03-20, 06:09 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Gundo
Same dealer for both. Sounds like Trek is the safer buy.
In some ways yes. You could have an honest conversation with your dealer. My wife works at a tri shop that deals with Cervelo and she has mentioned issues to me...
Old 08-03-20, 06:11 PM
Gundo

Originally Posted by vespasianus
In some ways yes. You could have an honest conversation with your dealer. My wife works at a tri shop that deals with Cervelo and she has mentioned issues to me...
That's good to know, thanks.
Old 08-03-20, 06:21 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Troul
If the bicycle has no major quality build issues within a season of riding, it would be safe to rely on it for a longer timeframe. TREK may be bigger as a business, but they have not shown me that they are superior than a smaller business when it comes to needing help with the products they've sold. If anything, a smaller business is likely to work harder to satisfy a customer or potential customer in order to established a good name for themselves.
Bottom bracket issues are not build issues rather design issues. It is a certainty that they will creak it just depends on when. Could be in a few weeks could be in a few months could be next year but it will happen.

I hear it every night riding around Central Park. If I go to the dark side and get a carbon bike I will only get a Specialized, Pinarello or Trek.
Old 08-03-20, 06:38 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,195 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I'm still seeing $6000 for the Trek and $4500 for the Cervelo. The Trek has carbon wheels and threaded bottom bracket. I'd be tempted to investigate, see if one of the threaded conversions is available for the Cervelo
Once the Cervelo provided BB is worn, bite the bullet and put a good one piece press fit in there... Done.
Bond it in with Loctite 641 Retaining Compound.
The Rotor I took out was a two piece with a plastic sleeve in the middle. Yuk.

I did just that and now I can pop just the sealed bearings out and replace them in 10mins should I ever need to.

Barry
Old 08-03-20, 06:43 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
You may want to think about just upgrading the components on your Trek SL5 to Di2. The difference between the SL5 and 7 are the components and the wheelset. If you sell the SL5 you are going to take a hit on it, so that is money thrown away. Then you add the price difference between the two bikes and that is a chunk of change. It may be more cost effective to upgrade.

I am/was in similar predicament with my SL6. The mechanical is great but Di2 is better so I waited for deals and purchased everything I need to convert my SL6 to a SL7 (minus the wheels). Currently I am just awaiting the wiring which should arrive this week and then I will start the conversion myself. The Trek manual lays everything out for installation including which length of wiring to purchase. In the end it will be cheaper for me to do it this way then to try and sell my bike etc. It was cheaper for me to do it this way.

This option is not for everyone and may not work for you but it may when you start adding up the costs. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 08-03-20, 06:54 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
good move on the upgrade to Di2. You won't regret it. No one ever does.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 08-03-20, 07:05 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Cervelo are no longer located in Toronto or owned by the original owners.

Founded by Gerard Vrooman and Phil White, engineering students at McGill University in Montreal, the company was sold to the Dutch-based Pon Holdings in 2012, but the headquarters and design facility stayed in Toronto on Leswyn Road in Toronto. Both founders left the company, and now the last remaining Canadian connection is gone.

Most of their manufacturing has moved to China resulting in lower quality control. Their reputation has taken a little bit of a hit. Some of the bottom bracket issues are due to irregular ovals for the cavity housing the bottom bracket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.