Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

02 Raleigh SC Tandem for $200 - Good for Newbie

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Old 08-09-20, 04:22 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts

Lifetime cyclist here, with a novice stoker who has issues from her riding past. She's been riding around our quiet neighborhood blocks for over a decade.

Bike crash history: 1) was hit by vehicle and suffered concussion (no helmet), 2) went on a trail ride, dumped it going up a tricky hill and suffered laceration and permanent scarring, 3) was cornering around the block while pedaling and ate ****and suffered a broken ring finger.

It's very apparent that she has a limited skill-set, but, unfortunately, she is unwilling to increase her skill-set. Further, she completely freaks out in traffic.
Riding on separate bikes beyond the confines of a bike path is NOT A RECOMMENDED ACTIVITY!

So, I'm contemplating a tandem...

I've done quite a bit of reading and there are not too many to choose from for my experiment because I'm 6' and she's 5'2. Been searching for over a month.

A relatively local couple is selling a good condition 2002 Raleigh SC Tandem (steel frame 26" wheels, 3x8) listed for $300. I offered $200 over text and they accepted as long as it was to a "good home where it will be ridden..."

Was initially seeking 700c x 35mm+ wheels, but most of the inexpensive used tandems come with 26" or 700c with skinny clearances.
Planning on road and fire road kinda stuff.

Is this a good price and is it a good starter/experimental tandem?

2002 Raleigh SC Tandem
Product Details: Component Group Tandem mix, Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge, 127.5mm spindle BB Shell Width 68mm English, Chain Shimano CN-UG50, 1/2 x 3/32inch Extensions Not included Hubs Front: Joy Tech aluminum, Q/R, Rear: Shimano Alivio, Rims Alex DM-18, 36-hole, Tires 26 x 1.95inch Kenda K-841C Spoke BrandSha-Dar stainless steel, 14ga. (2.0mm) straight gauge Spoke NipplesBrass nipples, Frame Construction TIG-welded, Fork Brand & Model Raleigh Tandem Cassette 8-s
Old 08-09-20, 07:12 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
For $200 looks to be a great experimental starter tandem. Assuming it fits the both of you.
Old 08-09-20, 10:14 PM
WheelsNT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Fit is the number one thing. Beyond that, looks great. For that price, you have room to change bars and seats if you need to. I’d snap it up. If tandeming works for you two, then you might want something better eventually. But even then you might keep it for a rainy day bike (add fenders), or for gravel, or whatever. Can’t go wrong for $200.
Old 08-09-20, 11:06 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
That bike IS a Kent/Pacific Dual-Drive box store tandem as sold by Wal-Mart and Amazon. Current retail on these is ~$250 delivered (user assembly) or ~$275 off the floor ready to ride. I'd just as soon get a new one with a warranty. Fit? These bikes were only ever made in one size fits most. It will NOT fit a 6' Captain/5'2" Stoker perfectly, but it doesn't have to. There won't be anything likely to fit better in that price range, maybe in any price range except custom. That mixte rear end is there so juvenile stokers feel at home. 5'2" will be right at home. 6' Captain 'may' feel a tad cramped but what does that really mean when the back angle is 55*? Buy this bike or not but 'fit' is absolutely not one of the test criteria for a bike like this. We've enjoyed the ones we've had (yes, multiple units). They get the job done.
Old 08-10-20, 07:04 AM
Paul J

Bikes: 1980's Spectrum 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, 1990 Eddy Merckx 10 sp Campagnolo Centaur, Bushnell Tandem, Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
That bike IS a Kent/Pacific Dual-Drive box store tandem as sold by Wal-Mart and Amazon. Current retail on these is ~$250 delivered (user assembly) or ~$275 off the floor ready to ride. I'd just as soon get a new one with a warranty. Fit? These bikes were only ever made in one size fits most. It will NOT fit a 6' Captain/5'2" Stoker perfectly, but it doesn't have to. There won't be anything likely to fit better in that price range, maybe in any price range except custom. That mixte rear end is there so juvenile stokers feel at home. 5'2" will be right at home. 6' Captain 'may' feel a tad cramped but what does that really mean when the back angle is 55*? Buy this bike or not but 'fit' is absolutely not one of the test criteria for a bike like this. We've enjoyed the ones we've had (yes, multiple units). They get the job done.
I would beg to differ with you on this being a Kent/Pacific Dual Drive. The bike pictured has a proper eccentric bottom bracket from a good mfg. In my option this bike would be similar to a TREK 900 and should work well for your team. You may need to change the stem for the captain to tune-in your fit. If you do not have extremely long legs then you my not get the bars to a comfortable drop. This looks like a good bike to jump into tandem riding.
Likes For Paul J:
Old 08-10-20, 09:10 AM
jethro00

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 32 Posts
That looks like a really good "experimental tandem" for what you describe. Think about going 2" wide with tires to make her feel safer, installing water bottle cages and letting her pick out an attractive water bottle for herself and matching helmet . Also, if you have not ridden a tandem much, given her accident history, be very mindful of where her pedals are when you make a sharp turn.

Last edited by jethro00; 08-10-20 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-24-20, 03:25 PM
michaelm101

Bikes: Cannondale Carbon Synapse Road, Cannondale T2000 Touring, Vintage Mongoose IBOC Pro MTB, Vintage Peugeot 12spd racer, Old rusty Schwinn Manta Ray I neglected as a child, Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon & Metro, Specialized Roubaix Pro, RaleighSC Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul J
I would beg to differ with you on this being a Kent/Pacific Dual Drive. The bike pictured has a proper eccentric bottom bracket from a good mfg. In my option this bike would be similar to a TREK 900 and should work well for your team. You may need to change the stem for the captain to tune-in your fit. If you do not have extremely long legs then you my not get the bars to a comfortable drop. This looks like a good bike to jump into tandem riding.
Indeed, upon examination, this bike appears to be decent quality. I cleaned her up, "unstickied" the shifters, made some adjustments and the bike now operates and rides like new- shifts like a charm and the brakes are dialed in. I also added a few ditties her and there...

Likes For michaelm101: