Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike size

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 07:28 PM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Bike size

I have a question about bike size. I’m 170 cm (5'7") with an inseam of 71 cm (28"). My bike is a 54 cm Domane 4.3 (carbon frame) that I’ve modified in the following way: 165 mm crank, zero offset seatpost, 40 mm stem (although I’m now using a 100mm Redshift suspension stem). I converted the bike to a flat bar so reaching the brakes and shifter is no problem. The standover height isn’t a problem given the sloped top bar. Based on my size, I probably should be riding a 52 or even 51 cm bike, but I don’t want to lose money selling my bike unless there is a compelling reason to do that. Despite the modifications I made, is there some geometry in the design of a smaller frame that would make the bike handle better or be more stable that would justify
Old 08-13-20, 05:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Being able to go back to drop bars would be compelling enough for most folks You have an inappropriately sized bike that you've kludged to make more or less rideable. If that's all you need for how you ride, I wouldn't worry about it.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 08-13-20, 09:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Caveat: you can fit a range of sizes. The traditional range is: French, Race and Eddie. I use the LeMond-Guimard method of determining size. Basically, convert your inseam to metric and multiply by .665. That will give you a rough approximation. My inseam puts me at a 54/55 frame although I've ridden a 58 well. But, my current bikes are in the 54/55 niche. As to the geometry of the bikes...and, this is a generalization....a smaller bike will be lighter. It will also have a shorter wheel base. All other things being roughly equal, the smaller frame will feel more nimble or "twitchy" depending on who is evaluating it. The larger frame, with it's longer wheel base, will feel more stable and turn less quickly. Will the difference be significant enough for a recreational rider to notice or be affected? I don't know. I guess it depends on who you are and your experience. FWIW when I mentioned my method of determining frame size, I was referring to a traditional frame and not a sloping TT. In order to fit the latter you will have to establish a virtual TT and measure from the virtual intersection of the seat tube and virtual TT.

Last edited by bruce19; 08-13-20 at 09:18 AM.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 08-13-20, 11:43 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Funny thing is, the switch to sloping top tubes that allows a shorter person to straddle a bike usually means you would ride a frame with a smaller size number than with older 'level top tube' bikes. I ride a 62 or 64cm in the old geometry, but I can fit on many 58cm frames that are called 'XL' by the manufacturer.

The fact that you weren't comfortable with the drop handlebars says to me that the bike is too big. Frames designed for drop bars usually have very short top tubes compared to bikes designed for flat bars, so if you feel the need for a short stem with flat bars then the bike is possibly much too big for you.

However, if the bike is comfortable for the riding you do, then that's really all that matters. Many folks like drop handlebars for the multiple hand positions they allow, but lots of people don't like them. Only you can say what's right for you. And how can you tell if it's 'right'? When you ride the bike, do you feel like you would be more comfortable on a slightly shorter or lower frame? If the answer is 'yes' and you already have zero-setback seatpost and a short stem, then, yes, you should get a smaller frame.

As for losing money, you could sell the used frame you have and find a replacement used frame in a more appropriate size and then you are theoretically only out whatever it costs you to have the parts all switched from one to the other. Moving to a smaller frame will also often allow you to re-use cable housing and maybe even cables, while moving to a larger frame will usually necessitate replacing cables and housing. If you are paying someone else (a bike shop) to swap the parts then it might make economic sense to get new cables and/or housing as re-using the old ones can take a bit more time and effort.
Old 08-14-20, 12:59 PM
Ramshackle

Thanks for the replies. They have been very helpful. I may try to swap my frame for a shorter one that is equivalent.
Old 08-14-20, 01:22 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Hmmm....the reach on a 54cm Domane 4.3 appears to only be 374mm and the stack is 575mm.

I'm your size and my bike is 380mm reach, 545mm stack and I use a 120mm stem. I don't consider myself to be overly "flexible".

Have you been fitted?

edit: Never adjust your seat for a reach problem.
Old 08-14-20, 01:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,413 Times in 2,751 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I use a 120mm stem.
Interesting! Plus, if you need a 120mm stem you probably could/should be on a bike even one size larger.
Old 08-14-20, 01:29 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Interesting! Plus, if you need a 120mm stem you probably could/should be on a bike even one size larger.
Ha!
Old 08-14-20, 01:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
[Test] How is your stand over clearance in Inches or CM? stand flatfooted straddling the top tube. lift the front wheel off the ground,

how far up can you get it? (you did not say)

/....
Old 08-14-20, 05:03 PM
Ramshackle

I agree about not moving the seat forward to shorten reach since you lose the suspension of the seat rails. Tried it once and the ride was brutal. Stack was never a problem since I compensated with spacers. The big problem was reach, and in particular, where my knee was in relationship to the crank. I've got a bad knee and a too long reach hurt my patella. When I shortened the reach with a zero seatpost, my knee was lined up with the center of the BB and the pain eased.