Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ideas for carrying cargo using a kid trailer?

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-14, 09:58 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts

I thought I was ready to convert my son's trailer into a cargo trailer. But I recently figured out how to fix the broken sling seat strap, and there are some family bike rides coming up that I'd like to use it for. So no conversion will be happening in the near future.

However due to the nature of the fabric inside the trailer, it's not really suitable for carrying cargo. I tried picking up lunch one time and the drinks spilled all over the place because the wouldn't stay upright.

So I was looking at the trailer all folded down flat, with the wheels still on it, and thought maybe there would be a way to add a rigid surface and storage box on top of the assembly while folded flat, and then be removed when my son is going to use it.

I could easily use a piece of plywood and attach a Rubbermaid storage box or something similar to it. But attaching that to the trailer itself while folded flat, and have it be removable (fairly easily) is going to be the trick.

Anyone thought about doing anything like this?
Old 03-16-14, 12:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So I was looking at the trailer all folded down flat, with the wheels still on it,
Carry Freedom City has that feature The City bicycle trailer

It's sold in, and shipped from Scotland , direct from the company now.

I got one ,when there was still a US seller . interior of the main frame is 18 x 26"
a plastic bin may slip in, and the wheel spreader bar will offer support.

but its an n+1, not a child trailer .

before that buy I had a CoOp made Burly Flatbed the CF-C folded fits in the cargo area of that trailer

the 2_20" wheels are QR , it has a fold down tongue too, so the 2 store in the space of the larger Burly.

the "fabric" is Heavy duty fiber core PVC truck Tarp stretched pretty tight , in the FlatBed..
It seem pretty good .. + light enough .

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-28-14 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-18-14, 01:42 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,462 Times in 1,433 Posts
Patrick, I've been using kiddie trailers for cargo for years. I didn't modify them at all until this past summer. This summer, I took the tops and sides off, so they are now flat-bed trailers. I lash my cargo onto them with bungies.

One of these days, I'll figure out how to modify one to carry my dog. I want it to have some sort of fence to keep her from jumping off. Also, she is a small greyhound, so she is small for a greyhound but taller than the average dog by far. I'm pretty sure I'll have to extend the size of the trailer.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-27-14, 08:03 PM
Tim199

Bikes: 1995? Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you could figure out a way to rig a flat surface to the top of your folded up trailer, but it could be a lot of work. It depends on what type of cargo you plan on carrying whether it would be worth it. The easiest way I could think of would be to drill some holes around the edge of the plywood piece and use bungee cords or rope under the bottom of the trailer both side to side and front to back to keep it in place.

But if it's just drinks or other things that would fit in the trailer, I'd think just using the existing seat belts and straps inside and attaching bags, boxes, netting, canvas, bungee, etc on there to secure your goods would be easier. For grocery type items I have a plastic cooler that I fit in my kids' trailer.
Old 03-28-14, 04:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
perhaps with the invaluable P clip you can create a way to use the Rubbermade bins

set a bit lower than on top of the frame and thus drop the CofG of the load , for more stability ..
Old 03-29-14, 08:00 PM
salek

Bikes: 1984 Takara 490 Challenge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We have a two seat Winchester. Squeeze cut down a "boogie board" so that it will fit in the bottom of the Winchester (seats removed). We have the option of no board (soft goods) and board (hard goods). We no longer need the seats, but still have them.
Old 04-01-14, 06:45 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Big piece of coroplast cut to fit for a temporary floor. Elections are coming up soon, time to replenish the supply

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon