Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

School me on Tubulars

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

School me on Tubulars

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 12:57 AM
tcarl
tcarl

Bikes: Roark, Waterford 1100, 1987 Schwinn Paramount, Nishiki Professional, Bottecchia, 2 Scattantes, 3 Cannondale touring bikes, mtn. bike, cyclocross, hybrid, 1940's era Schwinn

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I've been riding Continental tubulars on the rural farm roads in Illinois for years. No troubles. Great ride. I've had about 20 years of successes with Tufo gluing tape and Flat Attack brand sealant. On the finely crushed gravel Katy Trail I've used cyclocross tubulars (mostly Tufo, but a few other brands also). Wonderful ride, basically never get flats. I'm one of those who'll vote for using tubulars for recreational riding.
Likes For tcarl:
Old 12-14-19, 05:39 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
There's really no reason why one cannot carry even three spare tubular tires. With a teeny under-saddle bag, only one. With a small Carradice or similar several-liter beg in the rear, a folded and bound tubular occupies minimum space and you can easily cram in three.

I also think that after you attach a freshly-glued tire to the rim trough and air it up to about 40 psi, you have perhaps a 5-minute window to move things around and get your best alignment. I've never used CO2, can you do a partial inflation with that system?
I can easily carry two spare tubular tires under my saddle. I use spare toe-straps to attach them to the saddle rails.

My CO2 inflator head allows me to put as little or ass much air into a tube as I want to. It's trigger operated. I haven't use it in a while though.

Cheers
Old 12-14-19, 05:43 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
There are only two situations where tubulars makes sense:
1. Cross races in slippery conditions where very low pressures are required.
2. You are a professional road racer and have an old Belgian guy who glues them up for you and hands you a fresh wheel when you flat.

There are no other situations these days where anyone should consider tubulars. Even scenario one is questionable, frankly. I run tubeless cross tires at 25 psi all the time without issue.
That's not true at all.

I don't race and I do glue my own tubular tires to my wheels. I like the way my tubular wheels feel when I'm accelerating or going up hill. They simply feel superior to my clincher wheels. I enjoy riding my bicycle with tubular wheels because it feels so much more efficient.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 12-14-19, 06:00 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I can easily carry two spare tubular tires under my saddle. I use spare toe-straps to attach them to the saddle rails.

My CO2 inflator head allows me to put as little or ass much air into a tube as I want to. It's trigger operated. I haven't use it in a while though.

Cheers
Thanks for adding your experience! I didn’t know that about CO2!
Old 12-14-19, 06:05 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Hello All. Question, can I use larger tubulars on rims with a OD of 18mm and 20mm. ? I"m currently using 21-22mm tubulars now. They are okay, but if i can go up a size, that would be nice.Thanks. KB
Old 12-14-19, 06:27 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
There are only two situations where tubulars makes sense:
1. Cross races in slippery conditions where very low pressures are required.
2. You are a professional road racer and have an old Belgian guy who glues them up for you and hands you a fresh wheel when you flat.

There are no other situations these days where anyone should consider tubulars. Even scenario one is questionable, frankly. I run tubeless cross tires at 25 psi all the time without issue.
Or ... you ride in shady areas and want to know for sure you can flat and get out of there. 5 minute tire change guaranteed if you get your gluing right. And you don't have to change it. You can ride out of any neighborhood on the flatted tire every time. You can also do surefire changes in rain the dark, in snow, drunk ... or any combination of these and it will get you home for sure.

Ben
Old 12-14-19, 06:37 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
This is the baseline good tubular:

https://www.merlincycles.com/vittori...00c-87368.html

If you want it in 28 wide it's another $5. Shipping included if you buy two. Get these and there are no humps, no wobbles. While leaving inflated on a rim overnight before glue is still a good idea, on these you won't have to. And you won't break your hands getting them on rim. And you can have the magic carpet ride first time out. These are the tires everyone says cost $100.

The price you are looking at is as much as I've paid for top tubulars the past few years. If you have been around you will be able to find them for even less. But merlincycles is not a secret, everyone can get this price. Probikekit has frequent good prices too, none I see today. There are plenty of other sources for good tires.

Orange Seal, Orange Seal Endurance, Panaracer Sealant all fix a flat pretty reliably. If there are cut cords in the casing is the only time you have to open it up and boot it. The wider the tire the easier it will be to sew it up straight. Don't use sealant until after a flat. If there is sealant all over and you do need a boot it is a mess. Fixable but a mess. Also sealant is going to dry out, so use the tire. Ride your bike. Sewups do not get more flats than similar clinchers. If you are using light clinchers already there is no difference in how many flats you get. If you are using Marathons do not even think about tubulars.
Thanks! I"ve been riding G+ clinchers and been fantasizing going tubular on those tires. Those Merlin prices? Bargain!

Ben
Old 12-14-19, 07:12 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Thanks for adding your experience! I didn’t know that about CO2!
I have a Lezyne CO2 head that screws onto 16g cartridges, I think 25g cartridge threads also work. Not pricey, about $25. You open a valve and can control the amount of CO2 you release into the tube. I wouldn't count on using it a week later with the same cartridge, but it should be fine for a second inflation in the same day. You can put a little pressure in the tube before reassembling the tube and tire, then go to full pressure.

Old 12-15-19, 06:50 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Miele Man
That's not true at all.

I don't race and I do glue my own tubular tires to my wheels. I like the way my tubular wheels feel when I'm accelerating or going up hill. They simply feel superior to my clincher wheels. I enjoy riding my bicycle with tubular wheels because it feels so much more efficient.

Cheers
To me, that's all the justification a person needs!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 12-15-19, 08:35 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by kcblair
Hello All. Question, can I use larger tubulars on rims with a OD of 18mm and 20mm. ? I"m currently using 21-22mm tubulars now. They are okay, but if i can go up a size, that would be nice.Thanks. KB
You can definitely go up a size. There is a limit. I used to run 26-27mm tires on Araya ADX-1 rims that were just a bit smaller than 19mm and never had a problem. But I worried about it. Not good to ride worried. What is your 18mm rim? Might be time to retire that.

Last edited by 63rickert; 12-15-19 at 08:38 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-15-19, 10:02 AM
Road Fan

You can definitely go up a size. There is a limit. I used to run 26-27mm tires on Araya ADX-1 rims that were just a bit smaller than 19mm and never had a problem. But I worried about it. Not good to ride worried. What is your 18mm rim? Might be time to retire that.
I've read the opinion elsewhere that it doesn't matter, but I've never seen an engineering argument, much less any measurement or testing, that it truly does make a difference, and what is it, why is it, and under what conditions does it matter?

I have a "back project" to make some really cheep tubular touring wheels: steel-center hubs with large aluminum flanges, 36 hole drillings, wide (wider than track rims) Nisi rims, and 27 or wider tubulars. I'd use stainless butted spokes, but beyond that the spokes are "whatever". With 120 mm OLD, the wheels will go on my 1967 PX-10 ("Rando Cheapo"), with as wide a 2x5 range as I can. These Nisis are if I recall 18 mm wide and will need nipple washers. One of my philosophies with this bike is "Good Bones." If a design solution has intuitive benefit and doesn't affect any of the other goals significantly, do it. One example is that I share the intuition that a wider rim is better for a wider tubular. Looking out for some 30 or 32 mm road tubulars. Overall the parts will be as light as possible in keeping with the DB 531 frame with French diameter tubes. I'll take a vintage liberty using a Brooks Swift or Selle Anatomica saddle using lightweight frames - leather saddle comes down from 520 grams to around 410 grams.

Last edited by Road Fan; 12-15-19 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-15-19, 10:28 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I've read the opinion elsewhere that it doesn't matter, but I've never seen an engineering argument, much less any measurement or testing, that it truly does make a difference, and what is it, why is it, and under what conditions does it matter?

I have a "back project" to make some really cheep tubular touring wheels: steel-center hubs with large aluminum flanges, 36 hole drillings, wide (wider than track rims) Nisi rims, and 27 or wider tubulars. I'd use stainless butted spokes, but beyond that the spokes are "whatever". With 120 mm OLD, the wheels will go on my 1967 PX-10 ("Rando Cheapo"), with as wide a 2x5 range as I can. These Nisis are if I recall 18 mm wide and will need nipple washers. One of my philosophies with this bike is "Good Bones." If a design solution has intuitive benefit and doesn't affect any of the other goals significantly, do it. One example is that I share the intuition that a wider rim is better for a wider tubular. Looking out for some 30 or 32 mm road tubulars. Overall the parts will be as light as possible in keeping with the DB 531 frame with French diameter tubes. I'll take a vintage liberty using a Brooks Swift or Selle Anatomica saddle using lightweight frames - leather saddle comes down from 520 grams to around 410 grams.
Velocity “Major Tom” tubular rims have the same 23 mm width as their A23 clincher rim & might suit your needs. These come up on clearance or on-sale in odd anodized colors if you look around. The machined sidewalls, the wider width with a trough and the triangular semi aero cross section should make for a strong, stable base for some wider tubulars,
Old 12-15-19, 11:00 AM
63rickert

Engineering analyses? For bicycles?

I don't recall the 18mm Nisi. Check that measurement. Could be. A rim that narrow is basically not as strong as a wider one, and if a flat rim I'd be leery. By same token a tall rim is stronger.

The engineering theory, if it deserves that honorific, is that a wider tire has more leverage on the glue. How would you test that? The CX guys are the ones who push the envelope really hard. The top quality tires do all fit a bit on loose side and when pressure is down to 12psi there is nothing but glue holding the tire on. Also the tire has lots of leverage and lots of pull because they flop over to side completely. The CX guys are not going to chance it with obsolete narrow rims. If the CX guys do lose a tire it wouldn't amount to usable data anyway, gluing is as subjective as it gets.

I can't prove a thing but for own comfort and peace of mind prefer wider rims. I use real old rims and they tend to be wider.
Old 12-15-19, 11:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
There's really no reason why one cannot carry even three spare tubular tires. With a teeny under-saddle bag, only one. With a small Carradice or similar several-liter beg in the rear, a folded and bound tubular occupies minimum space and you can easily cram in three.
There goes the weight advantage (albeit not on the wheel)
Old 12-15-19, 04:37 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Teach me about tubular tires.

I know now they are faster but I’d like to know more.

1. Do you need special wheels? Yes
2. How much and are they worth the price? Varies, personal opinion, for me yes.
3. Do they work on all bikes? MTB, track, gravel Etc ? Yes. Obviously for each application the rim/tire combo may be different.

thanks
Answered above.
Old 12-15-19, 05:17 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
It's a, barely used Mavic Cosmic. Just rebuilt the hubs, and it's 8-10 speed. My older Fir, are only 7 speed, and those where rebuilt a few years back. So, I can live with the 22mm tubs on those wheel set for the moment . Both sets have new tubs. After I wear those out, done with tubs. KB
Old 12-15-19, 06:36 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
There goes the weight advantage (albeit not on the wheel)
If weight is your motivation, that's important. But for some the motivation is the ride experience, or to do more difficult things because they are harder, or both concepts together.
Old 12-15-19, 07:26 PM
Road Fan

Engineering analyses? For bicycles?

I don't recall the 18mm Nisi. Check that measurement. Could be. A rim that narrow is basically not as strong as a wider one, and if a flat rim I'd be leery. By same token a tall rim is stronger.

The engineering theory, if it deserves that honorific, is that a wider tire has more leverage on the glue. How would you test that? The CX guys are the ones who push the envelope really hard. The top quality tires do all fit a bit on loose side and when pressure is down to 12psi there is nothing but glue holding the tire on. Also the tire has lots of leverage and lots of pull because they flop over to side completely. The CX guys are not going to chance it with obsolete narrow rims. If the CX guys do lose a tire it wouldn't amount to usable data anyway, gluing is as subjective as it gets.

I can't prove a thing but for own comfort and peace of mind prefer wider rims. I use real old rims and they tend to be wider.
I've seen some pretty good analyses for trail, stability, gearing, tire pressure and other things. Frank Berto, Jim Papadopoulos, Jobst Brandt, older stuff like Archibald Sharp, more recent collections by David Wilson.

Not sure it's an engineering theory but what you say is a nice common-sense idea at least. And yes, rims with a shallow cross-section are not as radially strong as a deeper rim, but especially when spoked and built into a properly tensioned wheel, are they critically weaker in the context of road riding without cross-riding, off-road, criteriums, or aggressive dirt-roads? It's not enough to just to say "it's weaker." Are Nisi rims substandard?
I'll have to to check those old Nisi rims I have and see what the numbers are. I thought some were 18, but, it was a while ago that I checked.

Talk about the real old rims you use.
Old 12-15-19, 07:29 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
IMO....if you are a recreational rider, tubulars are not worth the hassle. Particularly when tubeless is available.
Old 12-16-19, 03:44 AM
63rickert

I've seen some pretty good analyses for trail, stability, gearing, tire pressure and other things. Frank Berto, Jim Papadopoulos, Jobst Brandt, older stuff like Archibald Sharp, more recent collections by David Wilson.

Not sure it's an engineering theory but what you say is a nice common-sense idea at least. And yes, rims with a shallow cross-section are not as radially strong as a deeper rim, but especially when spoked and built into a properly tensioned wheel, are they critically weaker in the context of road riding without cross-riding, off-road, criteriums, or aggressive dirt-roads? It's not enough to just to say "it's weaker." Are Nisi rims substandard?
I'll have to to check those old Nisi rims I have and see what the numbers are. I thought some were 18, but, it was a while ago that I checked.

Talk about the real old rims you use.
I think you just cited the exceptions that prove the rule. And even in the short list of good guys there's the one who was wildly erratic.

Nisi rims are not substandard. They are tops. They turned down orders rather than lower quality. The point remains that larger section rims are just stronger and wider works in that direction just as much as taller does. Real narrow rims were an aberration from the 80s that make as little sense as tires of 17 or 20mm.

The weakness that matters in rims comes from erratic extrusions. Cut up a failed rim - failed rims used to be very common and there are still examples - and put your calipers on wall thickness. The variation will surprise you.

The old rims I am using currently are Fiamme Red from the 50s and Araya 16B from right about 1960. Also have some Scheerens in occasional use and there's no way to know if they are 1936 or 1966. Everyone knows Fiamme from 70s and 80s and that's not the same animal. Araya has always been fantastic quality. Basic way to make a uniform extrusion is to do it slowly. Back in 50s those who made race parts were making them for their children, their club, maybe themselves. So they did it right. In 70s the boom and bust Americans demanded vast quantities of everything and then next year didn't pick up the phone. So they got the slop. Quality standards went out the window in the bike boom and mostly they never came back. Expectations were altered permanently. It only takes minutes working on a rim in the stand to realize the old rim is plain different. Rides different too. Araya 16B has been unaltered for over 60 years and those are always good.

Nice commonsense ideas go a long way. Seldom applied.

Frank Berto passed last week. RIP
Old 12-16-19, 08:27 AM
Road Fan

I think you just cited the exceptions that prove the rule. And even in the short list of good guys there's the one who was wildly erratic.

Nisi rims are not substandard. They are tops. They turned down orders rather than lower quality. The point remains that larger section rims are just stronger and wider works in that direction just as much as taller does. Real narrow rims were an aberration from the 80s that make as little sense as tires of 17 or 20mm.

The weakness that matters in rims comes from erratic extrusions. Cut up a failed rim - failed rims used to be very common and there are still examples - and put your calipers on wall thickness. The variation will surprise you.

The old rims I am using currently are Fiamme Red from the 50s and Araya 16B from right about 1960. Also have some Scheerens in occasional use and there's no way to know if they are 1936 or 1966. Everyone knows Fiamme from 70s and 80s and that's not the same animal. Araya has always been fantastic quality. Basic way to make a uniform extrusion is to do it slowly. Back in 50s those who made race parts were making them for their children, their club, maybe themselves. So they did it right. In 70s the boom and bust Americans demanded vast quantities of everything and then next year didn't pick up the phone. So they got the slop. Quality standards went out the window in the bike boom and mostly they never came back. Expectations were altered permanently. It only takes minutes working on a rim in the stand to realize the old rim is plain different. Rides different too. Araya 16B has been unaltered for over 60 years and those are always good.

How wide are the older rims?

This is pretty far from the original poster's idea so I'll just say thanks for your views!
Old 12-16-19, 08:29 AM
Road Fan

This is pretty far from the original poster's idea so I'll just say thanks for your views!
Old 12-16-19, 01:53 PM
63rickert

Fiamme @21.1mm.
Araya @ 20.5
Scheeren @22.3

Final decimal not guaranteed.
Old 12-16-19, 02:30 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
if you gotta ask this question on here, just stay the hell away from tubs, they're not for you lol
Old 12-16-19, 04:49 PM
Road Fan

Fiamme @21.1mm.
Araya @ 20.5
Scheeren @22.3

Final decimal not guaranteed.
Interesting! I just measured two Nisi, and they were about 19.6 mm. A pair of Mavic Montlhery were both about 18.8, and a Mavic GP-4 measured about 19.8.

Sorry, just spot-checks with a digital caliper. I'm pretty sure the pair of Mavics were late 1960s or early 1970s. No real idea of the production years of Mavic rims. I guess the Nisi rims are mid-1960s, since their markings are similar to those on my old Rossignoli which had a lot of 1960s parts. The GP-4 was mid to late 1980s, I guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.