Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

90's Rock Hopper - Foot Pegs and Handlebars

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-10-20, 03:34 PM
67Vert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello Bike Forums Mechanics Crew,
I just scored the bike with black tires for free :-). The bike with the Rock Shox I got used sometime back in the 90’s and now we’re sprucing it for my son.
It’s just for cruising and goofing around on the neighborhood streets and hopefully doing wheelies if we can learn how.

We want want to put foot pegs on it.
How do I figure out what size/type of axles we need?
Any warnings or advice before we take this on?

We’re also considering new handle bars with some rise.
Would that make pulling up the front wheel for a wheelie any easier?

Thanks
Old 04-10-20, 04:16 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 593 Posts
Too bad I don't have any nutted rear mtb wheels. I would have given you one since you're in the Peninsula. Good luck with your search!
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 04-10-20, 04:54 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by 67Vert
Hello Bike Forums Mechanics Crew,
I just scored the bike with black tires for free :-). The bike with the Rock Shox I got used sometime back in the 90’s and now we’re sprucing it for my son.
It’s just for cruising and goofing around on the neighborhood streets and hopefully doing wheelies if we can learn how.

We want want to put foot pegs on it.
How do I figure out what size/type of axles we need?
Any warnings or advice before we take this on?

We’re also considering new handle bars with some rise.
Would that make pulling up the front wheel for a wheelie any easier?

Thanks
You’ll just need an solid axle with the proper diameter and threading. Changing them is fairly easy if you’ve ever rebuilt a hub.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-10-20, 07:36 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Take care with the riding loading of foot pegs when a 9 or 10mm axle is used there's a reason why freestyle/flatland/street style "BMX" bikes have gone to 14mm axles. Oh and cast AL or Mg fork dropouts don't like the bending forces either. Andy
Old 04-12-20, 10:47 AM
67Vert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Take care with the riding loading of foot pegs when a 9 or 10mm axle is used there's a reason why freestyle/flatland/street style "BMX" bikes have gone to 14mm axles. Oh and cast AL or Mg fork dropouts don't like the bending forces either. Andy
He probably wouldn't be grinding the pegs on rails or anything crazy. Just standing on them.
Replacing a bent axle wouldn't be a big deal, but i wouldn't want to destroy the frame.
Is that a real issue?
Is it something I can monitor, or does this end with sudden catastrophic failure?
Old 04-12-20, 10:56 AM
67Vert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping someone familiar might know the size and threading off-hand so I could order the parts online.
I might just take it to the local bike store to get the right size.
I've never taken a hub apart but it look pretty straight forward. I'd just need to buy some tools that I don't already have.
Old 04-12-20, 10:57 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4171 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Steel bends far before breaking when the load paths are of small cross section (think paperclips). You'll likely see the pegs drooping down like 1 piece crank arms do on low cost BMX type bikes that get ridden like the ads show I generally don't fear steel cracking without much warning. Unlike AL the crack propagation is far slower and unlike brittle materials the "deformation strength" (sorry I forget the metallurgical term) is well below the ultimate tensile strength. Sure axles are not hard to replace and when the bearing surfaces in the hub finally are done in the wheel is easy to replace. But those drop outs are a different mater, only a concern if you rider really heavy/hard and wish to keep this bike going for a long time. Andy
Old 04-12-20, 07:50 PM
67Vert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
,,,But those drop outs are a different mater, only a concern if you rider really heavy/hard and wish to keep this bike going for a long time. Andy
Thanks. He weighs 105 lbs right now. I wouldn't describe anything we do as "heavy/hard". I think we'll take our chances for the time being. If/when his skills advance, I'll consider throwing some ching at a new bike.