Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

UCI frame logo

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

UCI frame logo

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 05:40 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
With the money at stake, how would you verify the receipt? With no scruples and thousands of dollars on the line, I could fake a receipt for whatever.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 05-09-20, 07:14 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
With the money at stake, how would you verify the receipt? With no scruples and thousands of dollars on the line, I could fake a receipt for whatever.
just playing devils advocate here, but if you had a receipt from a shop you could just call....I know this is pretty easily worked around by a good thief but verifying a serial number this way would be pretty easy. My LBS keeps amazing records of its bikes sold.
Old 05-09-20, 08:18 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
just playing devils advocate here, but if you had a receipt from a shop you could just call....I know this is pretty easily worked around by a good thief but verifying a serial number this way would be pretty easy. My LBS keeps amazing records of its bikes sold.
I'm going to be selling one of my bikes as soon as I get off my butt and list it. I bought it at a local shop and I have the receipts somewhere. If some Schmoe on Craigslist expects me to dig them up or wants me to stand around, twiddling my thumbs, while s/he calls the shop or verifies the s/n, I'll just move on to the next person in line. Ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 05-09-20, 09:43 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Yes, but that's a step past what the previous poster suggested. It also proposes the bike shop is still in business and doesn't blow off a non-customer, potentially in another state. It's a tough problem.

There are serial numbers, but those could be copied.
Old 05-09-20, 10:46 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Shortcut around all of this, don't but a used carbon frame from a stranger.
Old 05-09-20, 12:28 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Shortcut around all of this, don't but a used carbon frame from a stranger.

this is probably the correct response after reading in this thread.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-09-20, 12:57 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
this is probably the correct response after reading in this thread.
Yeah, if only it was aluminum none of this would have been a problem!
Likes For Tacoenthusiast:
Old 05-09-20, 01:19 PM
Seattle Forrest

How many alloy counterfeits have you heard of?

​​​
Old 05-09-20, 01:44 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm going to be selling one of my bikes as soon as I get off my butt and list it. I bought it at a local shop and I have the receipts somewhere. If some Schmoe on Craigslist expects me to dig them up or wants me to stand around, twiddling my thumbs, while s/he calls the shop or verifies the s/n, I'll just move on to the next person in line. Ain't nobody got time for that.
If I were selling a high end bike on Craigslist, I'd have zero problem providing the seller some assurance/documentation proving it isn't stolen or fake. If I didn't have a receipt handy, I'd call the shop where I purchased it ahead of time and ask them if they had a record of it. This doesn't seem that difficult.
Old 05-09-20, 01:58 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
If I were selling a high end bike on Craigslist, I'd have zero problem providing the seller some assurance/documentation proving it isn't stolen or fake. If I didn't have a receipt handy, I'd call the shop where I purchased it ahead of time and ask them if they had a record of it. This doesn't seem that difficult.
Okay, so maybe you've got time for that, but I don't. Besides, my guads and silly cycling cap should be proof enough. I tend to price aggressively, describe accurately and photograph well - I do this because I'd rather have multiple motivated buyers that I can pick and choose from; I'd rather do that than deal with some tire-kicker that's just going to try and negotiate me down, anyway - it's just not worth a headache.
Old 05-09-20, 02:05 PM
lesterburnham

Bikes: '18 Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
My thoughts on buying a used bike. If I'm going to buy an expensive used bike, I will insist on getting a pre-purchase inspection performed at the LBS as part of the deal. I've read too many horror stories about people getting burned on used car purchases. I don't see why getting a PPI on a bike is any different.
Old 05-09-20, 02:46 PM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts

​​​
​​​​​​It may be less common, but you'd be incorrect to think it doesn't exist. Or that a legit alloy frame might not have knockoff wheels or parts on it.
Old 05-09-20, 03:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

But if it's damaged that will be more obvious. Which is the real reason I'd avoid carbon bikes of unknown provenance. Anything about fraud is just a bonus.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-10-20, 04:43 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

​​​
I have no doubt they are there but I bet its a very small number. Steel probably more so than alum. The money to be made on a fake alloy vs. carbon is too to great. Carbon is where the fake stuff is being used. I would like to see a person find a fake for a Spec Allez or Trek with the fancy hydro molding process of the alum. That would be very difficult to copy without a lot of money spent as opposed to a carbon frame that you can get on ebay from China already.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 05-10-20, 10:39 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do a lot of people keep their receipts from years ago?
I've bought dozens of bikes...like truly many dozens and never thought to ask for a sales receipt.
I've also sold dozens of bikes and wouldnt begin to have the sales receipts for them. Of the 12 bikes in our garage right now, I could prove that 3 frames were purchased by me. 0 bikes could be proven. Most were builds from a frame, even the bikes my kids use, so then what?

Demanding a receipt is just limiting what's available for sale.
I keep some type of proof of purchase for warranty purposes.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-11-20, 06:24 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I keep some type of proof of purchase for warranty purposes.
Delightful to hear.

My bikes are built from frames and I have email invoices or receipts from varying years ago, i guess I could look those up.
but all my road, gravel, and touring frames are steel and as mentioned- that isnt really an ideal market for this sort of thing since fabrication is more demanding and experienced, in addition to buyers wanting carbon as a material more because...reasons.

If I were asked for proof of purchase on any bikes, I would probably decline since all have been built by me. I'm not interested in looking up a dozen + receipts via email or calling local shops.

I do understand the hesitstion and concern. I have bought many dozens of bikes off Craigslist and perhaps some were stolen at one point in time(many that I buy are decades old to update for me, family, or to sell). I wouldn't buy if the situation seemed odd.
...but I admittedly have the luxury of also not having to arm myself with knowledge and skepticism concerning authenticity since I have never considered a used bike or carbon bike for $2k.
Old 05-11-20, 08:10 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

I do understand the hesitation and concern. I have bought many dozens of bikes off Craigslist and perhaps some were stolen at one point in time(many that I buy are decades old to update for me, family, or to sell). I wouldn't buy if the situation seemed odd.
...but I admittedly have the luxury of also not having to arm myself with knowledge and skepticism concerning authenticity since I have never considered a used bike or carbon bike for $2k.
If your bike ever gets stolen, homeowners insurance will definitely want proof of ownership.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-11-20, 08:24 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by noodle soup
If your bike ever gets stolen, homeowners insurance will definitely want proof of ownership.

this AND depending on where you live if your city has a registration program and that is not done it can muddy things. Here its not required but its free and the pawn shops have to check serial numbers with PD to make sure it was not reported stolen. Nothing stopping another towns pawn shops but here in town they do. You get a little decal that is meant to be placed someplace by the bottom bracket with a PD registration number. The system works. Our PD has some recovery's of some bikes all the time.

Not fool proof or perfect but has had good results.

One example our current mayor is a huge tri-guy and he had a cervelo tt bike stolen at an event. This was a few years back before he was a mayor but shared this story. They tried to pawn it and the system worked. Caught the bad guy got his bike back. This was kind of funny because of the bike value it was a felony and not a petty or class 1/2 theft. LOL......make me laugh.

I know the system isn't perfect and the recovery's are probably way less than the bikes that are stolen and not caught but its something.
Old 05-11-20, 08:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
For sure. Pictures work, per the agent.
I doubt I would use homeowners though, except for maybe a couple of my bikes. It'd be a math exercise in figuring out the cost/benefit of a claim.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-11-20, 09:18 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
My insurance paid $6800, and there was no cost increase
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-11-20, 01:21 PM
Seattle Forrest

this AND depending on where you live if your city has a registration program and that is not done it can muddy things. Here its not required but its free and the pawn shops have to check serial numbers with PD to make sure it was not reported stolen. Nothing stopping another towns pawn shops but here in town they do. You get a little decal that is meant to be placed someplace by the bottom bracket with a PD registration number. The system works. Our PD has some recovery's of some bikes all the time.

Not fool proof or perfect but has had good results.

One example our current mayor is a huge tri-guy and he had a cervelo tt bike stolen at an event. This was a few years back before he was a mayor but shared this story. They tried to pawn it and the system worked. Caught the bad guy got his bike back. This was kind of funny because of the bike value it was a felony and not a petty or class 1/2 theft. LOL......make me laugh.

I know the system isn't perfect and the recovery's are probably way less than the bikes that are stolen and not caught but its something.
I wouldn't want to ride a carbon bike that had been stolen, can't imagine a thief treating it with the care it deserves.
Old 05-11-20, 01:58 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I wouldn't want to ride a carbon bike that had been stolen, can't imagine a thief treating it with the care it deserves.

I would feel the same way about my Argon 18. I am not sure no matter how much I love that bike I would ride it again. I think I would rather move on from it, seems sketchy to me too.
Likes For sdmc530: