Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another method for stuck, broken seatposts

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-20, 10:40 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts

Some time ago I acquired this Ochsner for parts. The seatpost was seriously stuck and was also broken off just below the top of the seat lug. The previous owner had attempted to chisel it out, causing the seat tube to bulge slightly just below the lug. I determined the post fragment extended about eight inches into the tube. It was and aluminum post with a thin outer carbon fiber wrap. This Ochsner was constructed of Aelle tubing so the post OD should be about 26.6mm.

I briefly tried the axial saw cut technique. I became discouraged at how difficult and slow this process was. I thought if I could drill out most of the post first, cutting the remaining material out would be much quicker. So I got a step drill with a max diameter of 1" and an 8" extension. I drilled down a little at a time and shot some WD-40 (yes, I know, not a proper cutting fluid) between goes. It took about 15 minutes to cut the entire length of the post. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the remaining bits could be pushed to the BB shell (no need to saw) where I extract them with needle nose pliers. Another five minutes or so for that. The ID of the seat tube looks fine, so the step drill must have piloted on the post ID pretty well. Now I just need to file the lug ID a bit to clean up some of the chisel damage.

Someone else here on BF, I don't recall who, had tried this same thing and found the saw method was easier. Its another option at least.

Old 03-15-20, 10:50 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Very nice, I really like Unibits, I've never thought of using one to totally obliterate a stuck seatpost, but I will never forget it now!
Old 03-16-20, 04:08 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
C&V drill to go with the theme of the forum.
Likes For Pompiere:
Old 03-16-20, 05:51 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Looks like another great solution! Thanks for that!
Old 03-16-20, 06:19 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
The other explanation might be that the AL is softer than the steel so the bit may have scratched the steel as it dug into the AL.
Old 03-16-20, 06:28 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 880 Times in 527 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I've never encountered a stuck seat post; however I'll add this to my list of potentially useful ideas.
Old 03-17-20, 10:34 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
I am loathe to use a power tool to remove a stuck post or stem. One mistake and there goes the frame. On top of that, half of a hack saw blade and a half hour's time, and the post or stem is free and with almost no hazard to the thin tubing of the frame set. Anyway, this is how I Remove Stuck Posts or Stems.

Unless the stem or post is something special. Then I might spend a bit more time and a wayyyyy more caution and attempt to save the stem or post...