Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

ExtraWheel Trailer Review

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-08, 08:23 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I now have over 1000 miles on my ExtraWheel trailer, so I wrote up a review of what I've seen so far and have posted it on my blog. You can read it here if you are interested.
Old 07-15-08, 09:27 PM
Camel
Caffeinated.

Bikes: Waterford 1900, Quintana Roo Borrego, Trek 8700zx, Bianchi Pista Concept

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice write up. Thanks Nancy!

I've been thinking about getting an extra wheel for a while. Along with carrying only one tire/tube size as spare, I really like the idea of having a ready to go "spare" front wheel. Also, worst comes to worst, you could re-build a rear wheel from the trailers rim (if same etc).

-Tailwinds!
Old 07-15-08, 10:42 PM
Clarenza

Bikes: RANS Stratus XP (2008)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 nice write up. Amazing that the ExtraWheel stayed attached with just one connector. Pretty good test Nancy! Hope the trip continues to go well.
Old 07-16-08, 10:25 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
Interesting review and your views reflect mine about the trailer. I too had travelled around 1000 miles with mine heavily loaded and found the tracking superb.
I made a couple of mods which you may like to consider. I thought there would be problems with the bags' contents rubbing the fabric of the mudguard against the internal frame so I wrapped the frame at these points with pipe insulation and secured this with cable clips.
Again, on tour I found that as the plastic mudguard is held between the forks by pressure, the bags pressing inwards compressed the mudguard and allowed it to spring out and foul the wheel. I fixed this by making a small hole in the mudguard and securing it in place by a cable clip. Both mods were easy to do but I think were well worth while.
As to the safety of the yoke on the rear wheel you should have no concerns as I have found, as have my friend who uses the trailer for off-road work, that no amount of abuse results in it coming loose.
Regarding the steel clip used to tension the hammocks, I thought that a much better solution to this would be one of those stainless-steel devices used to secure the sheets on sailing boats. This would be simple and more effective I think.
Good luck on your trip.
Old 07-23-08, 07:55 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad it was helpful! I do think it's a nice little trailer and one I'll certainly use for a while. I especially like it for around town - it's much easier to attach than the BOB.
Old 07-23-08, 08:10 PM
Mentor58
'Mizer Cats are INSANE

Bikes: C-dale T800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great writeup. I hadn't heard of the 'extra wheel' before, but now I'm thinking it might be an attractive alt to to some other ideas I've got. I am just trying to imagine the TE with it attached behind, that would be almost 11 foot of bicycle going down the road. Great adventure... Best of wishes for all your journeys.

M58
Old 07-25-08, 12:24 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hey Nancy - just read your blog I left you guys the cokes in the Yukon. I always dream of people giving me icy cold drinks on a hot day of bike touring....lol...hasn't happened yet, but I figure I have to put the energy out there if I want to get something back...=-)

I didn't want to bug you guys so I just left them on the road and went on my way. Didn't think I'd run into you online or that you were a Bike Forums member cool!

=-)

Vik