Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Sepp Kuss, the man

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-23, 07:33 AM
Caveman

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Pivot Mach 5.7, Cannondale Capo, Litespeed Arenberg, Litespeed Ultimate Gravel, Surly Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
That would not surprise me. He is the ultimate team player
Unlike the two knuckleheads he drug to victories in the Giro and TdF. If I were SK I'd never turn another pedal or take another pull for JV or PR and I'd never ride for a team with that Director Sportiff.I was so pissed after 16 & 17.

JV is the worst with all that phony emotional BS. I bought it when it was about his kid's birthday. Instead of crying about your friend that isn't here how about working for the guy that is.
Old 09-16-23, 07:48 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Old 09-17-23, 04:22 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Well dayum.

Happy Sepp-tember.

BTW, Google Creeper fed me an article covering the lady who feeds him cake. He and Noemi Ferre were married in Oct 2022 in Andorra. She is a potent pro cyclist in her own right. He is her boy toy. Go Sepp, always the super domestique.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-17-23, 06:40 AM
teejaywhy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Old 09-17-23, 08:43 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mollusk
I am always shocked that Chris won the Vuelta at his age.
He gets very little credit for it I believe because of the year/generation he won - not so long after canceling all the TdF winners. That and TV coverage and who else showed up.
I expect in 20 years the Sepp "story" will be better remembered.
Old 09-17-23, 08:45 AM
Doge

Any gear heads wondering why Sepp went with the different bike head tube/stem combo? I was not aware of a bike change.
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Old 09-17-23, 10:04 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Any gear heads wondering why Sepp went with the different bike head tube/stem combo? I was not aware of a bike change.
He got a special red cervelo to honor the occasion of finishing in the red jersey.

Old 09-17-23, 12:39 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by himespau
He got a special red cervelo to honor the occasion of finishing in the red jersey.
Not in that photo though, that's stage 20 (right?). Good question, is it a different climbing model and setup?
Old 09-17-23, 01:02 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Not in that photo though, that's stage 20 (right?). Good question, is it a different climbing model and setup?
Ah yes, of course you're right. Didn't really even look at the photo after seeing the red bar tape.

Old 09-17-23, 08:00 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
That "E" headbadge means those are the electric models, right?
Likes For Steel Charlie:
Old 09-17-23, 09:25 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by himespau
That bike just has red handlebar tape and black head tube and different stem.
Oops...Guess others said that. So still unknown why the different stem / bar setup.
Old 09-18-23, 04:51 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

He is a good bit taller than the other two. Do all his frames look like that? I may peek at that in future browsing.

I saw something a few days ago commenting on JV and Roglic using a single chainring on some stages while Sepp stuck with a double. Lots of little choices.

There was also an interview with Remco before one of the last mountain stages asking about his gear selection and why he was using a specific one unlike the others who were choosing whatever (maybe 34-34 vs. 34-36, IDK). He asked where did you get that information and then sort of smugly (in a good way) said nope, I'm not using that, I'm using the one like everyone else.

So many finicky little things to keep the mechs up at night.
Old 09-18-23, 07:16 AM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Jonas V gave an interview to Danish TV where he was a bit more open about the dynamics of the team mid-race and his own feelings. A Danish lady (MatildefromJuly) on Twitter provided a translation:

Int: if you had to explain to the people who are now complaining that the decision is matchfixing because they believe you would win. What would you tell them?

JV: Well... I'd actually just ask them if they think I should stab my own teammate in the back? Because I don't think I should

Int: Do you think it's because they don't realise cycling is a team sport?

Jonas: Yes - like, it *is*a team sport and Sepp has helped me so many times, so why should I stab him in the back? That's not who I am as a person. I don't want to do that and until yesterday I was in a bit of a pickle where I felt I was between a rock and a hard place

Int: Try to expand on that.

Jonas: We had agreed to race it and of course if the other two are fighting it out, I want to join in. But if we had decided we weren't going to do that - which I would have liked us to have gone with from the start... I would have liked to see that after the rest day we should fight for it and just ride defensively. But then we decided that we were going to race it, I felt like I got put in a tough spot.

Int: Was the decision made too late?

Jonas: Well I'd like to see it had been taken earlier. But it still results in Sepp winning - hopefully.

It's all a bit more comprehensible in retrospect. The team plan was for Primosz and Jonas to be co-leaders, and if the two were the last men standing, evidently the plan was that they'd fight it out. Sure, inter-team drama, but Primosz was probably at least a bit pissed that Jonas was there at all, and would anyone have complained if those two went 1-2, having fought it out on (let's say) the Angliru? Kuss getting in that early breakaway was certainly a part of the plan, getting into the red jersey the best possible outcome. I'm sure they were happy for him to be in the jersey, for a few days, setting up Remco to take it, then a fierce battle in the third week. But Kuss had picked up a lot of time, held his own in the TT, and of course Remco had that jour very sans. When Kuss showed no sign of fading going into the third week, they had a problem. On the Angliru, that look Jonas threw back to Sepp seemed like '****, I don't want to beat you, but I sure don't want Primosz to beat me!' It's quite plausible that Kuss's claim that he told them to go on without him is true, that was the plan up to that point.

Ah well, all's well that ends well, and that was an amazing race. I suspect Kuss will go back to super-domestique duties, or at least want to. While he clearly enjoys being part of a winning team, and an important one at that, I very much doubt he wants the pressure and attention of being a GC leader. Who would? I don't think Jonas likes that aspect of winning very much either.

It’s too much to hope that Kuss could have ‘box of Wheaties’ level of fame in the US, especially since this may be a one-off GT win. But hopefully it’ll attract some interest to the sport.

Last edited by Chicago Al; 09-19-23 at 07:53 PM.
Likes For Chicago Al:
Old 09-18-23, 09:00 AM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
So, so very happy for Sepp. A class act all the way and I couldn’t ask for a better person to put the US back on the top spot of a grand tour podium. GCKuss baby!!
Likes For thin_concrete:
Old 09-18-23, 11:20 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I also heard about those comments from Jonas somewhere.. it further increases my opinion of him, a real class act. Primoz is more the classic GC rider: me-me-win-me.

Of course we all know that Sepp is 100% class 100% of the time. What a great ride these last couple of weeks!
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 09-18-23, 04:18 PM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Bikes: Specialized Crux, Winspace SLC 2.0, Giant TCR Alliance

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
As a relative newcomer to the sport, I acknowledge that there are things about the European grand tours that I don't understand. With that said, even I could sense there was something surreal about the 2023 Vuelta. For me it exposed a culture of sport in Europe that I am only starting to come to grips with but still flies in the face of how I've been taught to see team sports.

Watching Jumbo-Visma's display on the Angliru was such a strange thing, as I saw two teammates attack another one, one who had made a career out of sacrificing himself for their own good. Each of Roglic and Vingegaard had their own pretext for the move (the former wanted to race, whatever that means, and the latter was racing for their child), but somehow these notions of meritocracy and family felt flimsy in the context.

It left me feeling that, while I love cycling as a newcomer, I hesitate to say that I will some day come to understand that aspect of road racing culture. After all, we are reminded every time a GC winner of a GT is declared that we only see one person, and one person alone, on the top of the podium.

It is a team sport without the team seen, and part of me just doesn't get it.

I used to feed horses, and this is where I've seen a similar circumstance: everyone gets their food, so long as the "top of the herd" gets theirs first.

My better sense orients me to resist rationalizing it beyond what it looks like: two teammates attacking the other for eating out of line.
Old 09-18-23, 04:45 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 166 Posts
I'm so happy for the guy.
Old 09-18-23, 07:48 PM
GrainBrain

Originally Posted by Doge
That bike just has red handlebar and black head tube and different stem.
Oops...Guess others said that. So still unknown why the different stem / bar setup.
From Velo...
https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-s5-sepp-kuss/
Sepp may have switched back and forth between the lightweight Cervelo R5 and the aero-centric S5, but this Cervelo S5 was made specifically to commemorate the GC Kuss. Besides the custom paint (with details we’ll explain below) this bike features a SRAM Red eTap AXS drivetrain, Reserve 40|44 wheels, a Fizik saddle, and more.
Old 09-18-23, 08:29 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by GrainBrain
Nice bike, but not the one in the picture. The one in the picture is not Vuelta red anything - except the tape.
Old 09-18-23, 10:14 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Jonas V gave an interview to Danish TV where he was a bit more open about the dynamics of the team mid-race and his own feelings. A Danish lady (MatildefromJuly) on Twitter provided a translation:

Int: if you had to explain to the people who are now complaining that the decision is matchfixing because they believe you would win. What would you tell them?

JV: Well... I'd actually just ask them if they think I should stab my own teammate in the back? Because I don't think I should

Int: Do you think it's because they don't realise cycling is a team sport?

Jonas: Yes - like, it *is*a team sport and Sepp has helped me so many times, so why should I stab him in the back? That's not who I am as a person. I don't want to do that and until yesterday I was in a bit of a pickle where I felt I was between a rock and a hard place

Int: Try to expand on that.

Jonas: We had agreed to race it and of course if the other two are fighting it out, I want to join in. But if we had decided we weren't going to do that - which I would have liked us to have gone with from the start... I would have liked to see that after the rest day we should fight for it and just ride defensively. But then we decided that we were going to race it, I felt like I got put in a tough spot.

Int: Was the decision made too late?

Jonas: Well I'd like to see it had been taken earlier. But it still results in Sepp winning - hopefully.

It's all a bit more comprehensible in retrospect. The team plan was for Primosz and Jonas to be co-leaders, and if the two were the last men standing, evidently the plan waas that they'd fight it out. Sure, inter-team drama, but Primosz was probably at least a bit pissed that Jonas was there at all, and would anyone have complained if those two went 1-2, having fought it out on (let's say) the Angliru? Kuss getting in that early breakaway was certainly a part of the plan, getting into the red jersey the best possible outcome. I'm sure they were happy for him to be in the jersey, for a few days, setting up Remco to take it, then a fierce battle in the third week. But Kuss had picked up a lot of time, held his own in the TT, and of course Remco had that jour very sans. When Kuss showed no sign of fading going into the third week, they had a problem. On the Angliru, that look Jonas threw back to Sepp seemed like '****, I don't want to beat you, but I sure don't want Primosz to beat me!' It's quite plausible that Kuss's claim that he told them to go on without him is true, that was the plan up to that point.

Ah well, all's well that ends well, and that was an amazing race. I suspect Kuss will go back to super-domestique duties, or at least want to. While he clearly enjoys being part of a winning team, and an important one at that, I very much doubt he wants the pressure and attention of being a GC leader. Who would? I don't think Jonas likes that aspect of winning very much either.

It’s too much to hope that Kuss could have ‘box of Wheaties’ level of fame in the US, especially since this may be a one-off GT win. But hopefully it’ll attract some interest to the sport.
You know, Sepp could have been ordered to give up the jersey after a couple days in the spotlight, returning to super domestique duties. I'm sure he would have done that without question, and gone about ensuring Primosz and Jonas duked it out for #1 and #2. We'd be talking about what a great teammate he is, and buzzing about the race between Jonas and Primosz. That would have been a great story for JV.

Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. But there seemed to be a lack of leadership coming out of the JV team car.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 09-19-23, 02:45 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Originally Posted by downtube42
Hindsight is 20/20, I guess. But there seemed to be a lack of leadership coming out of the JV team car.
Yeah. They really screwed this one up.
Likes For slcbob:
Old 09-19-23, 06:59 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 286 Posts
I'll mention it again - professional sports are not "sports". Professional sports are a business, perhaps a complicated one but still a business.
Old 09-19-23, 08:42 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

Originally Posted by Steel Charlie
I'll mention it again - professional sports are not "sports". Professional sports are a business, perhaps a complicated one but still a business.
Too bad the "business" hurts the "sports" of it. It certainly makes me not want to support either tbh, but I can't nor am willing to speak for others.
Old 09-19-23, 09:00 AM
sir_crash_alot
Noob Bee

This article right here from Eurosport makes me irrationally angry at the business/sport of professional cycling: https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/vu...42/story.shtml.

Primoz and Jonas "sacrificing" themselves as an act of heroism for a teammates? That they trained hard for victory? That these make them special?
Old 09-19-23, 09:42 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Yes, it makes them special. Just like all the team sports superstars. Or maybe a little more.

There's an inherent amount of give and take in just about any sport. Target wide receiver A and that means WR B, the TE, and the RB don't get a touch and an opportunity to notch another stat that might end in a healthy payday from contract incentives.

It's a little more clear and present when Roglic wound up third after spending months living like a monk on Tenerife or wherever he was. C'est la vie? Sure. Also weird. And special.

If you want to get amazed by the business of pro cycling, start digging into the team and league structure, or lack thereof, how TV rights and sponsorship dollars flow, etc. Compared to that, a little champion ego friction on the road is child's play.
Likes For slcbob:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.