Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Being poor keeps me grounded😁

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-24, 06:40 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Yep, its costly. And no - I'm not footing the majority of those bills, but they are still keeping me "poor!!".

Daughter A - 85k per year all in - room, board, food, tuition... small private "art" school. 5 year masters program. 40k per year scholarship takes a big chunk, family money takes a chunk, then we pay a chunk.
Daughter B - 55k per year for a state school, in a different state so the prices are inflated. Same as above, scholarship, family money...

Daughter B declined to apply for Ivy League schools. She is qualified but didn't want the stress. She may go on to Whorton @ U-Penn (Ivy league) for her MBA - $122k++ per year. She did apply to St Andrews in Scotland as a long shot school - that would have cost us plenty!!!! 80k++ per year plus all the travel costs.
Yeah foreign students keep the system afloat basically. All my son’s friends at Uni from other countries are of course minted and generally really talented. One guy from the US though, thought he could get away with doing bugger all at Oxford because he was paying so much. Got kicked out after the first year 😆
Likes For choddo:
Old 02-23-24, 07:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
Academics are the reason for my “poor” state at this moment!!

2 kids in college - 130k per year++, and one more on his way in a few years.
Originally Posted by choddo
Christ almighty your education system is expensive
Just understand that those prices are not at all typical of US higher education costs...and from Jughed 's followup post, it's not clear that he/she is actually paying that much or whether financial aid covers part of it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-23-24, 11:08 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3955 Post(s)
Liked 7,303 Times in 2,948 Posts
College tuition rates are a little bit like hospital bills -- the numbers look outrageous, but they often get "repriced".
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-23-24, 08:42 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Santa Fe is one of our favorite cities -- we visit it several times a year.
All three are nice places to live. Perhaps an anecdote would illuminate.

At my last visit to my dentist in Santa Fe, I was explaining to the receptionist that I don't usually wear my dentures. I said that I didn't know how that would go here in Santa Fe, but in Española, nobody looks twice. She laughed out loud, then covered her mouth and apologized. I assured her that I was not offended, with a smile.
Old 02-23-24, 11:18 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Fredo76
All three are nice places to live. Perhaps an anecdote would illuminate.

At my last visit to my dentist in Santa Fe, I was explaining to the receptionist that I don't usually wear my dentures. I said that I didn't know how that would go here in Santa Fe, but in Española, nobody looks twice. She laughed out loud, then covered her mouth and apologized. I assured her that I was not offended, with a smile.
You're right, Santa Fe is clearly full of ego-maniacs.
Old 02-23-24, 11:53 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 920 Times in 447 Posts
You're right, Santa Fe is clearly full of ego-maniacs.
Nah, it just has more than it's share, like I said. Get it right.
Old 02-23-24, 11:59 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Fredo76
Nah, it just has more than it's share, like I said. Get it right.
Your anecdote makes so much more sense with that distinction.
Old 02-27-24, 12:43 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Now reading scholarly debate about the translation from the Chinese text, which itself may be derived from Sanskrit.
Well, since Buddha was Indian, and the language of all the early writings (500 years after his passing) was Sanskrit ....) Buddhism had already lived and died in India before it got to China in what, 200 BC -- 200 CE? And Bodhidharma didn't start his Zen stuff until 500-600 CE?

Desire is the cause of suffering, is where I think it started.

I don't remember. That was a long time ago.
Old 02-27-24, 01:41 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
I see many parallels between cycling and photography. Both have a large number of dentists involved with each activity. It's a good idea to make friends with them for the dental care and the ability to buy well cared hand-me-downs for heavily discounted prices!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 02-27-24, 03:06 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Well, since Buddha was Indian, and the language of all the early writings (500 years after his passing) was Sanskrit ....) Buddhism had already lived and died in India before it got to China in what, 200 BC -- 200 CE? And Bodhidharma didn't start his Zen stuff until 500-600 CE?

Desire is the cause of suffering, is where I think it started.
Yes, but I don't read Sanskrit, and so cannot follow any debate about the first translation from Sanskrit to Chinese. The Chinese character at issue may be better translated as "attachment" or even "distraction" rather than "desire". Regardless, what is attachment if not a desire held for a duration?

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I see many parallels between cycling and photography. Both have a large number of dentists involved with each activity. It's a good idea to make friends with them for the dental care and the ability to buy well cared hand-me-downs for heavily discounted prices!
The few dentists I know are more into golf than either cycling or photography.
Old 02-27-24, 03:22 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
"Attachment" is a popular translation .... any thing to which you are emotionally or mentally attached .... of course ... "No Dharma is definitive," so the precision of the translation is moot ...
Old 02-28-24, 09:13 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
Well, I didn't think I'd need to clarify my point but.....

​​​.....

I have learned over the years to gauge my purchases by need and to temper my "wants"

None of this means that I am anti new tech or a luddite.

I have been cycling for many years and never raced...really never did any serious training. I just ride for fun and exercise.

As such, I have learned to be happy with a quality aluminum frame and mid level co oinents like Shimano Tiagra or 105. For my riding I need no more than this

I don't need disc brakes but, I am also not so naive and to refuse that that is where the future is.

Now, do I WANT a shiny new bike with a carbon frame, electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, etc.?
Yes

​​​​​​Will I buy one? Probably not. I'd prefer to use the extra cash to travel

I do not have a lot of discretionary income and, at age 63, I'm quite happy with the level of bike I have

I hope that clears up any issues.

I intended no flame wat
​​​​​​r

Last edited by baj32161; 02-28-24 at 10:28 AM.
Likes For baj32161:
Old 02-28-24, 09:41 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by baj32161
None of this means that I am qjti hew 53ch …
​​​​​
That’s what they all say.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-24, 10:29 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
That’s what they all say.
Sorry ..fixed the typos (didn't have my glasses on&#128513

― Bruce Lee
Old 02-28-24, 11:11 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
The few dentists I know are more into golf than either cycling or photography.
I've bought/sold a bunch of gear to dentists. The good thing about them is when selling, their equipment is well kept. They price low to sell and generally don't haggle price when buying. They're my favorite career occupation to deal with!
Old 02-28-24, 01:25 PM
tomato coupe

Dear Abby,

My dentist is into cycling, but his bike doesn't cost as much as mine. Should I say something to him, or should I just find another dentist with a better bike?

Signed,
Bewildered in Brussels
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-28-24, 02:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
Dear Abby,

My dentist is into cycling, but his bike doesn't cost as much as mine. Should I say something to him, or should I just find another dentist with a better bike?

Signed,
Bewildered in Brussels
After all the money I've spent on these teeth, my dentist had damn well better have a great bike.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-28-24, 04:01 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,571 Times in 7,335 Posts
I knew a dentist who had a Serrota ti with Campy back in the ‘90s. Talk about cliche.
Old 03-14-24, 08:12 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Money helps but learning to be or being happy as hell, is priceless.
Likes For Chandne:
Old 03-14-24, 09:39 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by baj32161
Well, I didn't think I'd need to clarify my point but.....

​​​.....

I have learned over the years to gauge my purchases by need and to temper my "wants"

None of this means that I am anti new tech or a luddite.

I have been cycling for many years and never raced...really never did any serious training. I just ride for fun and exercise.

As such, I have learned to be happy with a quality aluminum frame and mid level co oinents like Shimano Tiagra or 105. For my riding I need no more than this

I don't need disc brakes but, I am also not so naive and to refuse that that is where the future is.

Now, do I WANT a shiny new bike with a carbon frame, electronic shifting, hydraulic disc brakes, etc.?
Yes

​​​​​​Will I buy one? Probably not. I'd prefer to use the extra cash to travel

I do not have a lot of discretionary income and, at age 63, I'm quite happy with the level of bike I have

I hope that clears up any issues.

I intended no flame wat
​​​​​​r
I appreciate your candidness. Don’t find a lot of people speaking from the soul and found it very refreshing. All the best.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-15-24, 09:42 AM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Once the basics are taken care of with a little extra for travel and fun, any more money has diminishing returns on happiness. At this point in my life (60+) time is much more important than more money.
Likes For axelwik:
Old 03-15-24, 09:51 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by axelwik
Once the basics are taken care of with a little extra for travel and fun, any more money has diminishing returns on happiness. At this point in my life (60+) time is much more important than more money.
But, a lot of extra money can mean a lot of travel and a lot of fun.
Old 03-15-24, 01:59 PM
axelwik
Yep

Bikes: Gianni Motta road bike, old Diamondback MTB converted to a touring bike, and a GT MTB converted to an e-bike

But, a lot of extra money can mean a lot of travel and a lot of fun.
I have friends who have a LOT of money. I travel just as much as them, but instead of staying in the fancy hotels and hiring people to do everything I do most of the research and planning myself, stay where the locals stay, do more of what I really want to do, and camp when it's appropriate.

When they come home and talk about their experiences it's all about fancy this and fancy that, western ammenities etc., but almost nothing about the culture, local customs (unless they're making fun of it), local street food, or everyday people.

If I wanted to stay in a fancy hotel, eat fancy food, and be insulated from the "unwashed masses" there's plenty of that just a few miles away from home without having to pay airfare.

When I talk about my trips - learning some of the language before leaving, being invited into people's homes, getting to know average people, hitching rides in trucks, buses etc., discovering really cool places on my own, etc. they just can't fathom it.

I've been to more than 50 countries and my way is better, and costs a fraction of what they pay. One does not have to be loaded to have rich travel experiences. Money can't buy everything and tends to insulate one from real experiences; putting a little bit of work into it results in a much "richer" experience.

Last edited by axelwik; 03-15-24 at 02:08 PM.
Likes For axelwik:
Old 03-15-24, 02:33 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by axelwik
I have friends who have a LOT of money. I travel just as much as them, but instead of staying in the fancy hotels and hiring people to do everything I do most of the research and planning myself, stay where the locals stay, do more of what I really want to do, and camp when it's appropriate.

When they come home and talk about their experiences it's all about fancy this and fancy that, western ammenities etc., but almost nothing about the culture, local customs (unless they're making fun of it), local street food, or everyday people.

If I wanted to stay in a fancy hotel, eat fancy food, and be insulated from the "unwashed masses" there's plenty of that just a few miles away from home without having to pay airfare.

When I talk about my trips - learning some of the language before leaving, being invited into people's homes, getting to know average people, hitching rides in trucks, buses etc., discovering really cool places on my own, etc. they just can't fathom it.

I've been to more than 50 countries and my way is better, and costs a fraction of what they pay. One does not have to be loaded to have rich travel experiences. Money can't buy everything and tends to insulate one from real experiences; putting a little bit of work into it results in a much "richer" experience.
One doesn't have to spend the extra money on fancier hotels. One can spend the extra money traveling more often, to more destinations.
Old 03-15-24, 02:56 PM
axelwik
Yep

One doesn't have to spend the extra money on fancier hotels. One can spend the extra money traveling more often, to more destinations.
Most millionaires haven't been to as many places as I have. They're too busy "earning" more and more money.
Likes For axelwik:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.