Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 05:11 PM
mdadams1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Helmet

Opinions on the best bicycling helmet for the money? Where did you buy it? Cost? Thank you.

Mike A.
Old 08-03-18, 05:52 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3900 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,232 Posts
Some folks are in the “$20 helmet is likely 90% as effective as the Best”.
Other folks are in the “ Bar no expense for The Best”, only 1 brain people.

Which side of the fence do you lean?
Old 08-03-18, 05:59 PM
mdadams1

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
I bought a used bicycle for $200. I don't want my helmet to cost more than my bicycle...

Mike A
Old 08-03-18, 06:15 PM
talphie

Bikes: Volkscycle, Trek Fx3, Specialized Hard Rock

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a new one last year. I spent about 2 weeks in the evenings after work surfing the web and trying to find conclusive evidence that a MIPS helmut was worth the extra $. I really couldn’t find anything, but maybe I didn’t look long and hard enough. So, I went down to Dick’s and bought a Giro on sale for $19.99. I haven’t found out if the choice was good or bad, but unless I could find convincing evidence, I would repeat the same purchase.
Old 08-03-18, 08:30 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 491 Posts
A major part of the cost of expensive helmets is in making them lighter, more aerodynamic and cooler., not (except possibly MIPS) safer. If you're only riding short rides (i.e. under 30-40 miles) and not racing, then these attributes are unimportant so you should buy the cheapest ASTM or Snell-rated helmet that fits well. For myself, I ride many century and longer rides in hot weather where keeping cool and reducing the weight on my head and neck is quite important, therefore I buy more expensive helmets.
Old 08-03-18, 08:47 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 267 Posts
Helmet Test

Here is a test of a few helmets. Top is $200. Looks a little warm. No helmet gets no stars.

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/bicyc...t-ratings.html

i have a Bontranger Starvis MIPS helmet. Still looking for something to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 08-03-18 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-03-18, 08:54 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Last 5 rides
.......8/1 -- 131 miles
7/28 -- 102 miles
......7/25 -- 130 miles
7/20 -- 102 miles
......7/10 -- 169 miles 68th Birthday ride, 13 days following prostate cancer surgery

Helmet of choice $29.95 from Nashbar, a LGarneau purchased a few years ago on a closeout. Whatever floats your boat.
Old 08-03-18, 09:07 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My first helmet when I resumed cycling in 2015 was a Bell Solar from Nashbar for $20. Worked fine. Saved my noggin in May when I was hit by a car and my head smacked the pavement. The rest of me wasn't so lucky, but the head seems more or less as bad as it was before.

I replaced it a couple of months ago with a Bell Formula MIPS, about $65 from REI. I tried on several helmets, most fit pretty well. The Formula had a full polycarbonate shell, no exposed styrofoam like my cheaper Solar helmet. Lots of nice little touches, like rain/sweat drip channels, better padding, etc.

I tried on some Giro helmets too, all equal to the Bell in the same price range. I actually liked the Giro straps and snaps better -- the straps are softer and the snaps are easier to manage one-handed. But REI didn't have a hi-viz yellow in that particular model so I got the Bell.

If your budget is tight, as mine was in 2015, check Nashbar. But you'll need to spend $49 to get free shipping in most cases. Occasionally they'll ship certain items free regardless of price, but you need to spend time on the site.

Ditto Jenson USA and others. Lots of bargains, just takes time to shop around.
Old 08-04-18, 06:55 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Here is a test of a few helmets. Top is $200. Looks a little warm. No helmet gets no stars.

https://www.beam.vt.edu/helmet/bicyc...t-ratings.html

i have a Bontranger Starvis MIPS helmet. Still looking for something to keep the sweat out of my eyes.
I read an article about a study that founds MIPS helmets to be far superior in preventing brain trauma. It mentioned that price wasn't the best guide - better to look at these ratings. The Specialized Chamonix appears to hit the sweet spot.
Old 08-04-18, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Im looking for a warm winter helmet with an insulated liner covering my ears..
Old 08-05-18, 07:23 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1671 Post(s)
Liked 1,826 Times in 1,062 Posts
Hours of reading about helmets from a nonprofit outfit that's been in the game since 1989:

https://helmets.org
Old 08-05-18, 07:49 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I found that spending enough to get the lightest and most well ventilated helmet I could find was worth the extra $$. It's the one area where it is worth it to me to spend more money for what seem to be relatively modest differences. But I certainly wouldn't advise spending more if the cheaper helmet is equally comfortable.
Old 08-05-18, 08:00 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by donheff
I read an article about a study that founds MIPS helmets to be far superior in preventing brain trauma.
And in a report this past May the Snell Foundation, testing helmets and writing standards since 1957, found "no significant improvement in the MIPS helmet's performance over the non-MIPS model."

The difference is the "test". Various testing labs have created their own test protocols & methods that they feel analog real world accidents.

It'd be sweet if there were an easy answer for all the world's cyclists. For the affluent cycling enthusiast, just get yourself a 6D ATB-1T EVO.

Last edited by tcs; 08-12-18 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 08:16 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,523 Times in 2,863 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Im looking for a warm winter helmet with an insulated liner covering my ears..
In the winter I just wear a wool or polartec headband to cover the ears and forehead, then put a rain cover on the helmet to block the vents.
Old 08-05-18, 08:19 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by canklecat
If your budget is tight...
...and you're in the USA, go to Walmart and try on their molded-in-shell Bell helmets with True Fit. Same CPSC certification as every other helmet sold in the USA.

Last edited by tcs; 08-05-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-05-18, 08:41 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Other folks are in the “ Bar no expense for The Best”, only 1 brain people.
And yet I've never seen a cyclist wearing a FIA 8860-2010 approved helmet.
Old 08-05-18, 09:34 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Im looking for a warm winter helmet with an insulated liner covering my ears.
You might have to look for a while.

Several years back Bell offered the Metropolis 'helmet system'. The Metropolis helmet could be fitted with optional visor, mirror, foam inserts to plug up the ventilation slots, ear muffs that slipped onto the straps and a snap on rain cover. There were attachments where you could clip little LED to-be-seen lights onto the front and rear. It was a helmet for riding at all hours in all seasons and all weathers.

It was universally panned on bike message boards and sold very poorly. It lasted a single year on the market. Charitably, this was not a money maker for Bell. I picked one up, with all the accessories, on deep discount closeout a year later. IMO it was a brilliant design and I'm still befuddled why it didn't find its niche in the world of cycling.

So anyway, don't look for a bike helmet company to repeat the mistake of offering an all weather helmet system anytime soon.
Old 08-05-18, 10:09 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by tcs
You might have to look for a while.

Several years back Bell offered the Metropolis 'helmet system'. The Metropolis helmet could be fitted with optional visor, mirror, foam inserts to plug up the ventilation slots, ear muffs that slipped onto the straps and a snap on rain cover. There were attachments where you could clip little LED to-be-seen lights onto the front and rear. It was a helmet for riding at all hours in all seasons and all weathers.

It was universally panned on bike message boards and sold very poorly. It lasted a single year on the market. Charitably, this was not a money maker for Bell. I picked one up, with all the accessories, on deep discount closeout a year later. IMO it was a brilliant design and I'm still befuddled why it didn't find its niche in the world of cycling.

So anyway, don't look for a bike helmet company to repeat the mistake of offering an all weather helmet system anytime soon.
I was using a Metropolis up until back in May when I was doing a 45mph descent, and got hit with the abrupt crosswind from hell.
It knocked me off the road, and I did a front flip, landing on my head, then right shoulder, then back.
The helmet got cracked between the brow line and the first vent, then another crack between the first and second vents.

The visor was useless to me since it extended down into my field of vision, but was thankfully easily removable.
Sadly, that also made the mirror useless, since it was attached to the visor, so I bought a 3rd-party mirror and adapted it.
Old 08-05-18, 10:29 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I was using a Metropolis up until back in May when I was doing a 45mph descent, and got hit with the abrupt crosswind from hell.
It knocked me off the road, and I did a front flip, landing on my head, then right shoulder, then back.
The helmet got cracked between the brow line and the first vent, then another crack between the first and second vents.

The visor was useless to me since it extended down into my field of vision, but was thankfully easily removable.
Sadly, that also made the mirror useless, since it was attached to the visor, so I bought a 3rd-party mirror and adapted it.
I think you may need to consider getting a new helmet to attach the mirror to.
Or perhaps you think that it saved you worse damage then, so will do so again!
Old 08-05-18, 10:35 AM
Shimagnolo

Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I think you may need to consider getting a new helmet to attach the mirror to.
Or perhaps you think that it saved you worse damage then, so will do so again!
Due to my oversized melon, I need an XL size, and the Metropolis was one of the few available in that size.
I located a Bell Stoker XL, to replace it.
And yes, I moved the mirror to it.
Old 08-05-18, 11:09 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
After buying a helmet a few years back that has the turn-tight on the webbing similar to a construction hardhat, I will never go back to the chinstrap only style. I always felt like I was being choked by the chin strap before, and if I left it loose enough so it didn't strangle me, it moved around on my head all the time. I still use the chin strap, but it's only there to keep the helmet from falling off if I get jarred hard on a trail or something.
Old 08-05-18, 12:28 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,312 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
After buying a helmet a few years back that has the turn-tight on the webbing similar to a construction hardhat, I will never go back to the chinstrap only style. I always felt like I was being choked by the chin strap before, and if I left it loose enough so it didn't strangle me, it moved around on my head all the time. I still use the chin strap, but it's only there to keep the helmet from falling off if I get jarred hard on a trail or something.
That's not quite correct. The turn-knob on the back of the helmet is only to adjust the size of the retention system, not to hold it to your head. The chin strap is the retention system which must be somewhat tight in order to keep the helmet attached to your head when it hits the roadway.
Old 08-05-18, 12:53 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
bike-ski helmets is probably where i'll go, such as, Products
Old 08-05-18, 01:23 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Myself; I visit the LBS just go with what fits the best & has a comfortable chin strap. I'm usually almost always in-between sizes, so fit is an issue for me. I currently go with KASK - the medium fits fine - and I find the helmet very comfortable.
Old 08-05-18, 03:25 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Looky here- lots to choose from and fast shipping!

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...lmetpartswomen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.