Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Japan entry-level fixed/ss

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-10, 03:12 AM
ninniku

Bikes: none yet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys,

New to the site, which is to say been lurking for a bit. I know there's some japan hands here, so I hope nobody minds if I drop a few idiot questions into the mix:

1) I'm having trouble finding good domestic entry-level fixed/ss bikes. Rakuten, for instance, lists a bunch of shady-looking stuff (more on that below), the bike shop in the area carries british Charge bikes at a crazy markup, the bike shop in nakameguro with the awesome-looking frames is way out of my price range.

2) Rakuten Rider'z Cafe PIST, ie https://en.item.rakuten.com/black-m/10002009/; looks cheap? Hard to tell given that my Japanese isn't good enough yet and my general knowledge of Japanese domestic bike terms is worse.

3) Kuromori steel? My research says this can be anywhere from decent steel to high-end stuff that's as good or better than CrMo. Am I way off base?

Since I'm new here, you guys tell me what I do in return for the info.
Old 08-11-10, 06:24 AM
j3ffr3y
chickenosaurus

Bikes: 2010 Motobecane Team Track, 1997 GT Edge, 2012 Kilo TT Stripper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2) Looks very cheap, but it might still be decent. There is no listing of what components it has, which is generally a bad sign. Do you have the ability to check one out in person? If so, take a look at the components and lift it up, if its very heavy, it's probably Hi-Ten and in that case, I'd pass on it.
3) Never head of the stuff. Common steel brands that most have heard of are Tange, Ishiwata, and Reynolds. But even a name doesn't guarantee quality so can't really just go by that.

There are some members here from japan here, and I can't remember what they all ride, but they should be of some help.

Just wondering, wouldn't some of the large companies (Fuji etc.) have bikes for the domestic Japan market?
Old 08-11-10, 07:02 AM
mxs

Bikes: Bianchi Pista

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3) I am going to take a guess that it is just the direct translation (クロムモリ>kuromori) from Japanese due to the fact that it is a katakana based word.

As far as bicycles on the cheaper side go, you have a few options. The cheapest option as far as I know of is Tokyo Bike. I have see a few of them every once in a while.

A bit more expensive, but probably a slightly higher build quality are the Fuji track bikes.

If you do not mind non-domestic brands Cycle Spot has Bianchi Pistas for a decent price.

The final option would be hitting up Cycly, a second hand bicycle/parts chain shop. They have stores throughout the Tokyo area and lots of Japanese 'used' goods are almost in fairly new condition half the time.

Hope that helps you out some
Old 08-11-10, 07:21 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1337 Post(s)
Liked 765 Times in 432 Posts
Do you have some sort of "Craigslist" in Japan (Tokyo), where you can find used equipment for lower prices than new?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-11-10, 07:29 AM
indiglow

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti, Bianchi D2 Super Pista

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
^^^
Yes, its called MIXI and there are ppl selling **** on there all the time.
Also, if u get **** from Cycly double check everything YOURSELF. I got a frame from there and the guy said the frame had 120 dropouts, but it was actually 110. BULOX!
Old 08-11-10, 08:20 AM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mxs, thanks for the information. I'll look up cycly this weekend. Tejano, there is indeed tokyo craigslist, but like pretty much all english-language classifieds here, it's a) mostly expats selling to expats, and b) hawked like crazy because a lot of the time there's some guy needing to leave the country ASAP and get rid of his stuff.

As far as Tange goes, is it pretty good stuff? I've heard it is?
Old 08-11-10, 08:46 AM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, I would go to LBS and check out some bikes. If you hurry, you might be able to still buy some Fumikiri bikes. Cheapo SS bike. Prolly you can have it fixed easy.

You might get a translator to help you out with LBS people, too. Most Japanese can't speak English (even if they "know" English). And, this almost always leads to a serious misunderstanding; to make it worse, a lot of em is "terrified" about interacting in any foreign language. Being able to communicate in Japanese (via translator) should improve your situation considerably because there is less for LBS people to "terrified" about. ...

... But then getting a translator is a pain in an arse. Don't you have friends at work who could come with you? If not, PM me. I may be able to help out.

Last edited by Tomo_Ishi; 08-11-10 at 09:01 AM.
Old 08-12-10, 12:12 AM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomo_ishi,

I'm not too stressed about visting the shop; I can get my wife to come, or at worst struggle through the japanese, which is always fun.

Any reference on the Fumikiri bikes? I'd love to look it up.
Old 08-12-10, 01:28 AM
James1:17
comin' in hot

Bikes: '97 Allez M2, '90 Trek 1400, 80's Univega Alpina Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^

ninniku is that an overweight beagle? i have one.
Old 08-12-10, 01:46 AM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's the MVP of lobster dogs, as far as I'm concerned. Not mine, tragically.
Old 08-12-10, 10:23 AM
nateintokyo

Bikes: SE Quadrangle, '82 Venus NJS, '03 Bianchi Pista, '86 P'sonic Mt Cat, Fat City Yo Eddy '91 + '93, B'cuda A2E, '86 Trek Elance 400, '88 Centurion D.Scott Expert, '88 Fisher Mt Tam (and no longer with me: SE OM Flyer, Umezawa/B-stone/Samson NJS)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What's your budget?
Old 08-12-10, 10:59 AM
Kayce

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kind of unrelated but since the late 80s Fuji has been owned by company based in the Philly suburbs.
Old 08-12-10, 09:09 PM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Budget is sort of a quantum thing, you know? Hard to tell until it's directly observed going into a cash register.

That said, I'm pretty sure I will be murdered by my wife if I spend more than 10man, and I will probably get the stinkeye for weeks if spend more than 6man. If I can cut costs to 3man, my domestic life is assured stability, but what about my commute to work and exercise afterwards?
Old 08-12-10, 09:17 PM
the_don

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Not much good can be had for 3man

I say get a mamachari and strip all the junk off. It'll be good for exercise as it weighs a ton. You lose style points though.

I have seen a few of these "conversions" recently in Tokyo, I will take a photo next time I see one!
Old 08-12-10, 09:27 PM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I kind of figured. So let's say 3man is miracle find range, 6man is expected, and 10man means I better like it a lot.

There's a guy selling charge plugs near my work for 8man, which seems super-steep. But they look pretty nice. Gonna check out the nearby bianchi place after work today.
Old 08-13-10, 01:10 AM
Tomo_Ishi
Riding Engineer

Bikes: Kiyo Kiyo Kiyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ninniku
Budget is sort of a quantum thing, you know? Hard to tell until it's directly observed going into a cash register.
That's not true. Budget is a strictly measurable quantity. Heehee. I would love to see you explain about the uncertainty principle to LBS people (and promptly get kicked in your back-side).

Most LBS in Tokyo will tell you to be prepared to pay about 3 months worth of commuting cost to by any bike (if you are buying for commuting + exercise). I am thinking 600-800 Yen per day (go and back) * 25 days per month * 3 month = 45,000 - 60,000 Yen. So you start with that.

I see ...

- Kona
- Riteway
- Schwinn
- Marin
- Fuji (Feather/Classic)
- SE (Cheapest one is trashy)
- Mongoose
- KHS
- Jamis
- Felt
- Progressive
- Bianchi

https://www.cycle-yoshida.com/bicycle...ingle_menu.htm
https://www.qbei.jp/category/1_231_303/

I kinda like the looks of Progressive bikes, but I don't know how they perform. ... So now the sizing ...
Old 08-13-10, 04:08 AM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomo_Ishi
That's not true. Budget is a strictly measurable quantity. Heehee. I would love to see you explain about the uncertainty principle to LBS people (and promptly get kicked in your back-side).
Fair enough. For someone of my limited discipline and relatively decent means, I have noticed that important purchases tend to run higher than I had hoped. Don't tell that to the LBS people!

Thank you for the exhaustive list.
Old 08-15-10, 07:17 PM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It'd be pretty awesome to have a bike, after a weekend of looking; too bad none of the shops in my area let me try the bikes out!

Seriously, wth?
Old 08-29-10, 08:16 PM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally got a bike. Marin Dominican. Decent (not great) deal. Didn't want to order off the internet. Took a wrong turn out of the shop and wound up at Haneda, but I think in the future I'll just say that was my "break-in" ride.

As an aside, the top tube has a really funky shape to it. Is that uncommon because it's gimmicky, because it costs more to make, or because it's not as strong or what?
Old 05-22-11, 06:52 AM
timdesuyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So how's the bike riding? I guess I'm a dork, but reading old threads is kinda like reading a novel... and this one's got a cliffhanger. How's the durability? Did it get yuo where you needed to go?
Old 05-22-11, 08:38 AM
yummygooey
i smell bacon

Bikes: Geekhouse Deerfield, GT Edge Ti, Spooky Skeletor, TET Track, Ritchey P-650b, Bridgestone MB-3

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are those tubes tear drop shaped? That frame looks a lot like a Leader 722TS.
Old 05-22-11, 08:51 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
It really does. Same dropouts too.
Old 05-25-11, 08:55 PM
ninniku

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tube is tear-shaped. Bike is riding well! Flopped to fixed. Been riding it to work in Shinjuku, which at first was awful. I was using Yamate-dori, which is one of the biggest streets in Tokyo, and the whole thing is a torn-up mess. Nowhere to go without getting punished by the pavement.

But I found another route that cuts through a pretty nice neighborhood and up past Yoyogi Park, so it's all good!

The one challenge is that my wife's firm does a yearly ride-up-mount fuji (up to the fifth station, nothing too crazy) and I want to do it on this bike but the idea is pretty scary. No way am I in shape.