Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

blue competition cycles rc8 -- should i buy??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

blue competition cycles rc8 -- should i buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-11, 12:57 PM
nickthaquick1

Bikes: Blue Competition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 06-19-11, 12:58 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by nickthaquick1; 06-19-11 at 12:59 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 06-19-11, 01:03 PM
Vicelord
Banned

Bikes: BMC RoadRacer SL01, Kona Kula FrankensteinDeluxe, Schwinn Powerglide.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
woah! you did a pretty sweet job on that derailluer. I'm not sure I could cut it more cleanly with a good knife!

Tell them you want to return the bike, then have them send you a new one with a different color scheme. It looks like someone in the 1980's vision of futuristic. lol
Old 06-19-11, 01:17 PM
Painful Chafe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Damn. Sorry about that.
You will soon have the issue fixed and riding again. I would have them send the parts because it is the fastest way to go. It is easy as pie to set up a rear deraileur, youtube has great tutorials and sram has a good service manual on derailleur set up. I put the link below. It is something you will want to learn anyway.

I would also get on them a bit about the cost to have a shop set it up for you if you are not comfortable. Raise a stink. But a shop probably wouldn't charge more than $30 to set it up. Maybe they can do a $30 store credit.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi...ailleurs_6.pdf

Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38vdA5OOBxI
Old 06-20-11, 10:45 AM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dang that sucks, sorry for your troubles. Couldn't the LBS that did the assembly and adjustments be at fault?

Last edited by ricebowl; 06-20-11 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-21-11, 09:17 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. It does indeed suck. Still no word from Bonktown on remediation -- on placing fault on the LBS -- i considered that, but at the same time i don't want to go down there throwing blame on everyone. I'd rather mention the fact i rode 4 miles and hint that the manufacturer may have argued improper install. They are good people (small mom and pop shop, not REI) and i go in there pretty frequently when i'm really getting on the miles. They hooked me up with pedals (took 25% off) and knocked some off my carbon cage just for buying the install. I would think they won't be charging me full price for the derailer + chain. hoping i don't have to return the whole bike, although bonktown said they'd cover the cost of shipping back....
Old 06-22-11, 06:02 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll stay away from the post-mortem as it could have been a variety of things such as a bad chain, bent derailleur hanger, cracked derailleur knuckle, faulty install, and so on. But what made me say "huh!?" was your mention of different cleats for new pedals. Shimano didn't change their cleats. If you already had SPD-SL ultegra pedals, they were perfectly fine. What exactly did you mean when you said you got new 105 pedals?
Old 06-22-11, 06:53 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Nice bike. Bummer about the derailleur situation.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 06-22-11, 07:47 AM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I'll stay away from the post-mortem as it could have been a variety of things such as a bad chain, bent derailleur hanger, cracked derailleur knuckle, faulty install, and so on.
Whoever built it up (the LBS in this case) should have caught it.
Old 06-22-11, 11:55 AM
hooligancyclist
Riding Off to the Next Adventure, RIP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are supposed to have good customer service from what I hear. It sounds like the derailleur was maladjusted. That is normal if you buy a bike online anywhere. It sounds like there were warning signs and you just rode through them.
"Well, folks, here's the deal: I'm the best there is, plain and simple. I mean, I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence. You know, nobody can hang with my stuff. I'm just a....just a lean, shaven, American winning machine."
Old 06-27-11, 09:13 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nhluhr
I'll stay away from the post-mortem as it could have been a variety of things such as a bad chain, bent derailleur hanger, cracked derailleur knuckle, faulty install, and so on. But what made me say "huh!?" was your mention of different cleats for new pedals. Shimano didn't change their cleats. If you already had SPD-SL ultegra pedals, they were perfectly fine. What exactly did you mean when you said you got new 105 pedals?
i swear i bought new ultrgra pedals at the shop and they looked like those eggbeater cleats almost! they would not fit my spd cleat, so strange! so i traded for store credit (to a carbo cage) and got 105 cleat. they're nice.
Old 06-27-11, 09:16 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hooligancyclist
They are supposed to have good customer service from what I hear. It sounds like the derailleur was maladjusted. That is normal if you buy a bike online anywhere. It sounds like there were warning signs and you just rode through them.

i got an email similar to "bike shops fault, deal with them" and flipped my **** on their facebook page. within minutes someone from bonktown commented saying a customer service rep would contact me. Surely enough two minutes after that a guy, very apologetic, called saying he'd like to ship me parts. funny how customer service rep goes through the roof when potential customers can see first hand how they are treated. TAKE A NOTE FROM THAT. Anyway, parts should be here thursday, hoping for a friday install and still save monday for cruising
Old 06-27-11, 09:18 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hooligancyclist
is there anything i can tell the LBS to maybe "hey, watch out for this" when they put the thing together this time? lol
Old 06-27-11, 09:31 PM
ricebowl
Bourbon junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool, take it to another shop for the install. Still think the LBS was the one that deserved the customer flipping their ****

Last edited by ricebowl; 06-27-11 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-28-11, 01:06 AM
KiddSisko
Has coddling tendencies.

Bikes: 2008 Blue RC8 w/ '09 Rival

Liked 59 Times in 8 Posts
Happy to hear it's being resolved. From what you described earlier, that clickity click chain thing was the sound of a chain link that's pulled apart on one side. Ride it that way and eventually it'll break. Can happen when you try and put a skinny chain together without those snap links (don't know the proper word there). I've also had a Sram chain fall apart on me at that link.
Old 06-29-11, 09:03 PM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm thanks for the input, ill be sure to tell the bike shop these points as a way of saying 'hey buddie, don't fk it up this time!
Old 05-10-16, 10:05 AM
nickthaquick1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nickthaquick1
as an update to this thread i got the bike in this past thursday and brought it to the lbs to get assembled as soon as it arrived. By friday afternoon it was set and ready to go after a pedal mishap (i didnt now they changed the cleat pattern to this year's Ultegra pedals!?) so i went with shimano 105 which is the same pattern as my 08' ultegras.

long story short in my fourth mile i noticed a skipping, every third pedal stroke, which got to the point where i wanted to call a cab for a ride back home. Unfortunately i did not, and about 30 seconds after i noticed the skipping my chain snapped, wrapped around the detrailer and snapped that off clean too. I was going about 35mph at the time (trying to max the bike out downhill!) so i am very fortunate this did not cause me to dump the bike, but i got some serious issues with the components now. I contacted bonktown.com (actually backcountry.com, their parent) to which they said they will keep the issue open in their system and put a call out to the manufacturer monday. They gave me two likely scenarios that will happen: 1. they'll send me a new chain + derailer and ill have to eat the costs of yet another install or 2. they'll eat the cost of the shipping and ill return the bike, to which i already bought new pedals + $65 on the assembly.

It could have been worse, a lot worse, but i'm pretty bummed i have this gorgeous bike sitting in my house, and beautiful weeekend weather to be riding in and only have my old (faithful) fuji to ride on. Anyone have any experience with backcountry/bonktown's customer service? or if this would be a sram warranty issue? No excuse for a retail $2800 bike to break on me on the FOURTH MILE!!!

Funny seeing this thread so many years later. Well, i still am riding the blue 17,000 later and couldn't be happier. I picked up Cosmic Carbones in '14, swapped out the Apex crankset for Red, and the saddle + seatpost for the Arrone Carbon by Fizik and a Cannondale carbon post, as suggested by my bike fitter at the time. Wish i had a good scale to see where its at. DEFINITELY not the 16 pounds as suggested in my first post - that was laughable reading that back.

Anyway, this bike served me well, and am in the market for an upgrade this summer. To anyone looking for an entry level frame i highly recommend Blue. Not sure how stiff / light they are comparted to the large brands' top models, but it got me a few podiums in races so it cant be terrible.