Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Differences between high end bikes?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 07:37 AM
marko23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm generally new to road biking and was just wondering, giant, trek, specialized, pinarello etc are those kind of the differences between bmw, mercedes, jag, lexus? Not in that particular order but since I understand more about cars then bikes just trying to get a simple translation. Are bikes at the 3000$ + price range all the same just the brand? Or are some bikes made better etc?

Thanks
Old 07-10-11, 07:43 AM
MegaTom

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...Bicycle-Brands
Old 07-10-11, 07:43 AM
ThinLine

Bikes: Pedal Force RS2, Canyon, Basso, Tommaso, Rock Racing, Schwinn, SWOBO, Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some of us here don't like the car analogies but I'm OK with it. Geometries are the main differences with these bikes.
They are all very good. I would take Jaguar out of the picture but yes, preference of a BMW 328ix vs Mercedes C300 4 Matic vs. Lexus IS 250 AWD.
Old 07-10-11, 07:46 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They may be slightly stiffer, slightly more aero, slightly lighter. They share the main component, the engine - you.

Fit and feel are more important.

None of it over 3k, that fits you, is going to be holding you back.
Old 07-10-11, 07:48 AM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AH must have missed that one lol thanks.
Old 07-10-11, 07:54 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Way less differences than with cars. For example, there's only about 3-4 main makers of drivetrain parts. Every bike out there has one of those company's drivetrain. Of course each maker has a variety of price ranges, but I think most will agree that even the lowest offerings from the major drivetrain manufacturers will function reliably and with good performance.

When you're bike shopping, for me, it comes down to the frame choice, and who can put together a package that gives you the parts you want at a price you like.
Old 07-10-11, 07:59 AM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen
Way less differences than with cars. For example, there's only about 3-4 main makers of drivetrain parts. Every bike out there has one of those company's drivetrain. Of course each maker has a variety of price ranges, but I think most will agree that even the lowest offerings from the major drivetrain manufacturers will function reliably and with good performance.

When you're bike shopping, for me, it comes down to the frame choice, and who can put together a package that gives you the parts you want at a price you like.

Oh haha I just thought some might be better then others I see A LOT of people riding cervelos so naturally I thought they make better ones. Maybe it's sex appeal? They are really nice bikes.
Old 07-10-11, 08:20 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by marko23
Oh haha I just thought some might be better then others I see A LOT of people riding cervelos so naturally I thought they make better ones. Maybe it's sex appeal? They are really nice bikes.
Yes they are. You're buying a really nice frame, and they generally come with all top-notch components. A lot of it is sex appeal, but it includes some quality engineering and manufacturing.
Old 07-10-11, 10:04 AM
cervelo4me

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
try a cervelo before you buy anything,thats all im gonna say.good luck

Old 07-10-11, 11:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cervelos are great bikes ... but anything in the price range is. Cervelo does great engineering work, which makes light and stiff bikes, and very aerodynamic ones. And they have a superb warranty. Add all of that stuff, plus a heaping dose of people who love theirs talking it up, and you wind up with a weird sort of mystique.

But yeah, they're pretty nice. Don't test ride one, because it's like taking your first hit of crack.
Old 07-10-11, 11:54 AM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Cervelos are great bikes ... but anything in the price range is. Cervelo does great engineering work, which makes light and stiff bikes, and very aerodynamic ones. And they have a superb warranty. Add all of that stuff, plus a heaping dose of people who love theirs talking it up, and you wind up with a weird sort of mystique.

But yeah, they're pretty nice. Don't test ride one, because it's like taking your first hit of crack.
Lmao maybe in a couple of years once I get my degree and can actually afford it xD.
Old 07-10-11, 11:55 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you're new to road biking the differences in performance between high-end frames won't make any difference to you. Some are super-stiff, some less so, but the differences pale into insignificance besides the importance of buying something that fits and feels comfortable.
Cervelos are the prescription du jour, because they look sexy as well as being good. But you'd probably get better value by buying the top-of-the-range product of a less trendy manufacturer. Giant, Focus, etc etc. They are all terrific bikes.
Old 07-10-11, 04:43 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
As others have suggested: Bicycles are essentially commodities. Almost all of the bike manufacturers use a very select group of component manufacturers, the same design philosophies, the same goals, the same marketing jargon....

At the top level of the sport, there isn't much indication that the bike itself makes much of a difference. E.g. in theory "aero" bikes offer a significant advantage over non-aero bikes, in practice the bike seems to have little impact on who wins or loses.

For the most part, any bike will be the same as almost any other bike in its price range, and once you go above $1500-$2000, you see increasingly diminishing returns. Unlike cars, performance is mostly based on the rider's capabilities.

Also keep in mind that when faced with a large number of possible choices, people tend to exaggerate the importance of minor differences in order to try and justify choosing one particular option.
Old 07-10-11, 05:48 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
At the 3,000 dollar price point, more or less they are about the same.
All work good and are somewhat light.

Some of the geo's are different, so one brand may fit better than another,
But besides that, they are mostly the same.

In fact, I think most are made by just a slect few factories in Asia.
Made to different specs, but still.

When you start to get into the 4500 and up, then things get fun.
Me, I went custom, to get just what I wanted in a go fast type bike.
Some here will swear that their xyz bike is better than another xyz bike.

More or less it's the rider.
Old 07-10-11, 07:16 PM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
If you're new to road biking the differences in performance between high-end frames won't make any difference to you. Some are super-stiff, some less so, but the differences pale into insignificance besides the importance of buying something that fits and feels comfortable.
Cervelos are the prescription du jour, because they look sexy as well as being good. But you'd probably get better value by buying the top-of-the-range product of a less trendy manufacturer. Giant, Focus, etc etc. They are all terrific bikes.
Oh yeah for sure I bought a giant defy 3 as my first bike so far its awesome gets my legs in great shape for my tennis practice after. I avoid running now because running + tennis= knee killer. Cycling=lifesaver lol. Hopefully as the years pass by I'm still into it and buy a really sick one
Old 07-10-11, 07:18 PM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
As others have suggested: Bicycles are essentially commodities. Almost all of the bike manufacturers use a very select group of component manufacturers, the same design philosophies, the same goals, the same marketing jargon....

At the top level of the sport, there isn't much indication that the bike itself makes much of a difference. E.g. in theory "aero" bikes offer a significant advantage over non-aero bikes, in practice the bike seems to have little impact on who wins or loses.

For the most part, any bike will be the same as almost any other bike in its price range, and once you go above $1500-$2000, you see increasingly diminishing returns. Unlike cars, performance is mostly based on the rider's capabilities.

Also keep in mind that when faced with a large number of possible choices, people tend to exaggerate the importance of minor differences in order to try and justify choosing one particular option.
Its not the bike its the rider right? Lol but it is nice to have a really nice one once you can afford it
Old 07-10-11, 08:51 PM
jr59

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Its not the bike its the rider right? Lol but it is nice to have a really nice one once you can afford it
You got it!

The guys riding in the TDF right now, could ride away from 99.9% 0f the posters on BF, on a bike they got from wally world!

But it is fun to get on a nice looking ride and be comfy for a good long ride!

Besides a bike you like/love will make you want to ride it more!
Old 07-10-11, 09:22 PM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Oh yeah for sure I bought a giant defy 3 as my first bike so far its awesome gets my legs in great shape for my tennis practice after. I avoid running now because running + tennis= knee killer. Cycling=lifesaver lol. Hopefully as the years pass by I'm still into it and buy a really sick one
Well, let me help you here. Your Giant Defy3 is 99% the equivalent of a Cervelo in terms of speed if it fits correctly. Ok, maybe 98.5%. Even with the stock Sora/2200 Shimano derailleurs.

Bike differences are miniscule for road bikes. This includes today's gen of intro-level road bikes that are at the LBS for $700. (Does not include Wallyworld 30lbs specials, which are inadequate for serious riding, unfortunately.)

I've got a Cervelo AND a Giant Defy3 (which I bought after the Cervelo.) I do most of my miles on my Giant now - more crashable, parts are cheaper, and I can save my race bike from wear and tear. In terms of speed difference, there's pretty much none - it's all rider. The shifter/derailleurs are a bit slower for the Giant, but by no means a problem.

Pros will race anything given to them today - it doesn't matter what the bike manufacturer is; there's not a significant enough difference to matter.
Old 07-10-11, 09:27 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jr59
Besides a bike you like/love will make you want to ride it more!
Sure, but that doesn't necessarily have anything to do with price.

You're certainly not going to ride twice as much just because your bike cost $4000 instead of $2000, nor is it going to be twice as fast or twice as comfortable. If anything, the more you spend, the smaller the improvements.
Old 07-10-11, 11:15 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Anyone else cringe a bit watching Contador pick his $15,000+ bike up and throw it to the ground? That thing bounced about two feet. I was thinking, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...if you don't want it I'll take it!

Last edited by pgjackson; 07-10-11 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-10-11, 11:19 PM
Val23708

Bikes: Cervelo R3 (Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest

Exactly how I ended up with two...
Old 07-11-11, 07:58 AM
marko23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
Well, let me help you here. Your Giant Defy3 is 99% the equivalent of a Cervelo in terms of speed if it fits correctly. Ok, maybe 98.5%. Even with the stock Sora/2200 Shimano derailleurs.

Bike differences are miniscule for road bikes. This includes today's gen of intro-level road bikes that are at the LBS for $700. (Does not include Wallyworld 30lbs specials, which are inadequate for serious riding, unfortunately.)

I've got a Cervelo AND a Giant Defy3 (which I bought after the Cervelo.) I do most of my miles on my Giant now - more crashable, parts are cheaper, and I can save my race bike from wear and tear. In terms of speed difference, there's pretty much none - it's all rider. The shifter/derailleurs are a bit slower for the Giant, but by no means a problem.

Pros will race anything given to them today - it doesn't matter what the bike manufacturer is; there's not a significant enough difference to matter.
Yeah I'm happy with my defy for now although I think its the older ones that came with the 2200 or the 2300 components I have full sora on mine haha. I got it for a cool price too the '11 model for 850 with taxes hehe.
Old 07-11-11, 08:44 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
So I'm generally new to road biking and was just wondering, giant, trek, specialized, pinarello etc are those kind of the differences between bmw, mercedes, jag, lexus? Not in that particular order but since I understand more about cars then bikes just trying to get a simple translation. Are bikes at the 3000$ + price range all the same just the brand? Or are some bikes made better etc?

Thanks
Perhaps bicycling magazines have their "editor's choice". If you check them out, they will tell you what they think about the high end road bikes.

I would be very surprised if any of the TdF bikes are in the 3,000 range. More likely in the 9,000 range.
Old 07-11-11, 08:48 AM
FactVord

Bikes: 2011 Scott S30, 2012 Tarmac SL3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Anyone else cringe a bit watching Contador pick his $15,000+ bike up and throw it to the ground? That thing bounced about two feet. I was thinking, WAIT, WAIT, WAIT...if you don't want it I'll take it!
I cringed a little, but then again, I have little respect for the doper. I hope the damages (if any) come out of his pocket!
Old 07-11-11, 12:47 PM
DonDenver
downhill quickly

Bikes: SWorks Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgjackson
Yes, I yelled out "Conti...easy son...somebody wants that rig!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.