Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up on my lbs?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giving up on my lbs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-15, 09:50 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mzeffex
I'm 21, have worked in shops since I was 15. I know what I'm doing, but still get the request for other mechanics just because of my age. It's actually really annoying.
I'd be more apt to trust a conscienteous 15 year-old, than I would some 30 year-old who's working for $10/hr.

Kudos to you! You sound like a very responsible person- even when you were in your teens.

I could imagine some people having a problem with you (even now), not because of you....but because they are embarrassed that they are incapable of doing something that someone younger than themselves can do on a professional level. (It's like that in many areas of life- a lot of times, when people have a problem with you....it's not you, it's really them!)
Old 04-05-15, 09:51 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
The owner, or any of the mechanics, at my LBS, would volunteer to help, before I asked.

Their most used phrase is, "bring it in, and we'll take a look".....

That, is customer service - and they sell a lot of stuff, and have been here for a long time!
Old 04-05-15, 09:56 AM
Domane

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
The internet is not just about "robots" , it's about people. And unfortunately online communities like this are full of people that know more then the 15 year old mechanic at my LBS or even the smug owner of my LBS. I get expert opinions here and on the mechanics forum plus reviews of products on websites like Amazon. Is everyone with a keyboard an expert? No, but if I can find 100+ reviews for a product on line I can deduce how good it is and then find the cheapest price in about 1 minute while I'm at it.
My comment on robots were more towards manufacturing jobs where people are being replaced. You can't keep replacing people and putting them out of jobs and expect the economy to survive.
Old 04-05-15, 09:59 AM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt
The hardest thing about running an lbs is trying to figure out where to draw the line.

What's next, putting the splooge in the tire on the show room floor?

I don't relish being an lbs owner.
It is tough because so many think you should do things for free for them. They don't understand that the LBS still has to pay rent, utilities, salaries and still put inventory in their stores and that is just the tip of the iceberg on their expenses.

While a customer may think gee it was just a small item or would have only taken a few minutes it adds up quick.
Old 04-05-15, 10:27 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
no business is owed loyalty. they need to earn it.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-05-15, 10:29 AM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinkerinWstuff
My local Honda motorcycle dealer has helped me out with special tools so I didn't have to buy the $45 50mm socket.

I've also broke down on the road in Iowa, limped to another dealer and had them loan me a handful of extensions and swivels so I could fix it in their parking lot. I mailed them a thank you card worthy of posting on the wall.

I think they should have helped you out because the personalized service is the only reason not to shop on the Internet.
Now that takes balls to ask a shop to loan you the tools to fix your motorcycle in their parking lot.
Old 04-05-15, 10:34 AM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
no business is owed loyalty. they need to earn it.
You are correct about being owed loyalty. However far to many think the LBS should do things for free. How many shops have people come in all day long just for air? I sometimes what 'Bikeman for You" on you tube because it is entertaining and he has made comments about that all day long one after another coming in for air in their tires. Funny that not a one of them would buy a bicycle tire pump.

Just were does the LBS draw the line?
Old 04-05-15, 11:40 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
The best comment from the above article:

"On bike forums, I always read of bike shops with wonderful altruistic, competent staffs, who bend over backwards to help the customer, and give wonderful advice (as opposed to just telling them whatever, so they can sell the poor sap whatever they have on-hand/can't move). I often wonder how it is that I have never encountered such a shop. Then I came to see that most of these people [on bike forums] are owners of bike shops!"

LOL
Old 04-05-15, 12:00 PM
spdracr39

Bikes: Lynskey Twisted Helix Di2 Ti, 1987 Orbea steel single speed/fixie, Orbea Avant M30, Trek Fuel EX9.8 29, Trek Madone 5 series, Specialized Epic Carbon Comp 29er, Trek 7.1F

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Last time I needed a tool at my LBS they didn't have one for sale so one of the mechanics sold me his old one at a reduced price (probly shop cost) and ordered a new one for himself. I was able to leave with the tool and do what I needed to do so I was happy.
Old 04-05-15, 12:52 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
When the LBS shows an online price for a tire that is $5 higher than the MSRP?
Old 04-05-15, 01:41 PM
TinkerinWstuff

Bikes: Giant Anyroad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that takes balls to ask a shop to loan you the tools to fix your motorcycle in their parking lot.

Actually, I asked if they could get me in for service and explained my haste to get home to CO before dark and see my son before bedtime. When I showed him what was wrong, he said he couldn't get me in fast enough but offered to loan the tools. There are some great people out there! I gave him money for the use of the tools. He tried to refuse but I insisted and told him to buy a case of sodas or something for the crew.
Old 04-05-15, 02:25 PM
gmm213

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Feather, MSC fixed gear

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Domane
You should never expect a LBS to loan you their tools to work on your bike. You wanted to buy a product then you wanted to borrow their tools to do the job and you seem to expect them to have bowed down to you for that and you got mad and left without even buying the product you still needed. They are in business to make money, letting customers come in and buy something then loaning the customer the tools to do the job does not make them money on the shop side of the business.

In this case you are the party in the wrong. Could the LBS have loaned you the tool, sure, but again that hurts their shop side of the business. That does not even start to get into damage to said tools from improper use and yes even people who will ride off with the tool/s keeping it/them.
As the OP stated he has not only spent what sounds to be 100s of dollars in said shop, but hes on a very good first name basis and if the shop wants to keep customers it sounds like they should be more helpful. Grant it he didn't ask and his intentions could have come acrossed mixed, but for a shop to not offer a loyal customer help with a simple 5 min job? That's just bad business. Im assuming the OP was in his ride gear. Buying sealant and asking about a tool I would surmise he wanted it done then and instead of saying we could order it and then completely ignoring him after that instead of saying something to the effect "but what do you need maybe I can help?" is just bad salesmanship (yes even mechanics are salesman, they sell you a service). I may not have worked in a bike shop but any auto garage I've ever been to will help there regular customers with simple small things. That's why I am a return customer. Those are the businesses that thrive.

I think a lot of you do not understand how inventory works. One, it ties up a lot of money to have inventory on hand so you have to make decisions on what products will move in a reasonable amount of time verse those items that will sit for months and in some cases years before they move. Then you have tax issues where in you are taxed on your inventory on hand each year so you have a store full of hard to move products that you keep paying taxes on and before long you can't make any money on an item that you can't move quickly.
I agree with stocking an expensive bike, but instead of figuring a solution out (IE finding a bike with very similar geometry or another solution) to push a bike thats the wrong size is bad bad customer service. That says "Hey we dont care about the customer, just selling you this bike". Thats literally what they are saying. A business is about the customer. You can say all you want about it being about profit but in the end if you worry about nothing but profit you lose the customer and lose the profit, on top of the fact that being a niche market (high end shops are), the owner and people working there would most likely at least enjoy cycling and should want to grow the sport in at least someway.
Old 04-05-15, 02:55 PM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
a good bike shop is rare and usually owner managed and doesnt make much money and is only months away from folding.

bad bike shops a plentiful!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-05-15, 03:14 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,468 Posts
My comment on robots were more towards manufacturing jobs where people are being replaced. You can't keep replacing people and putting them out of jobs and expect the economy to survive.
Except the economy is increasing more reliant on services now instead of manufacturing. The people part of production is quickly going away.

Last edited by StanSeven; 04-05-15 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-05-15, 03:33 PM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
Except the economy is increasing more reliant on services now instead of manufacturing. The people part of production is quickly going away.
There is not enough service jobs to replace all the manufacturing jobs we have lost. That may very well be why America has over ninety-two million people out of work today. It was very stupide of Bill Clinton to put America on the path of a services only economy, all great nations have risen due to manufacturing, the latest proof of how countries need a manufacturing base to grow is China. When America started giving away our manufacturing jobs the middle class started to loose. It won't be long before there is no middle class left in America.
Old 04-05-15, 03:38 PM
Domane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gmm213
As the OP stated he has not only spent what sounds to be 100s of dollars in said shop, but hes on a very good first name basis and if the shop wants to keep customers it sounds like they should be more helpful. Grant it he didn't ask and his intentions could have come acrossed mixed, but for a shop to not offer a loyal customer help with a simple 5 min job? That's just bad business. Im assuming the OP was in his ride gear. Buying sealant and asking about a tool I would surmise he wanted it done then and instead of saying we could order it and then completely ignoring him after that instead of saying something to the effect "but what do you need maybe I can help?" is just bad salesmanship (yes even mechanics are salesman, they sell you a service). I may not have worked in a bike shop but any auto garage I've ever been to will help there regular customers with simple small things. That's why I am a return customer. Those are the businesses that thrive.

I agree with stocking an expensive bike, but instead of figuring a solution out (IE finding a bike with very similar geometry or another solution) to push a bike thats the wrong size is bad bad customer service. That says "Hey we dont care about the customer, just selling you this bike". Thats literally what they are saying. A business is about the customer. You can say all you want about it being about profit but in the end if you worry about nothing but profit you lose the customer and lose the profit, on top of the fact that being a niche market (high end shops are), the owner and people working there would most likely at least enjoy cycling and should want to grow the sport in at least someway.
Yet one of the biggest complaint in forums is lack of inventory. You can't stock every different size of every different model. All to often you read in these very forums someone who walked because the LBS did not have said bike in stock and would have to order it so they walked and found a different bike shop sometimes getting the bike they wanted at the first shop sometimes getting a different brand all because they would not wait for the bike to be ordered. I am sure bike shop people could tell you many a horror story of customers as well.
Old 04-05-15, 07:51 PM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I usually remove the core with my fingers. Pliers work for the ladies.

Bike shops do not carry spare parts and when you go there to buy something, they will try to convince you to buy something else (what they have on hand that clearly does not meet your needs) or maybe offer to order. I understand that they lack capital, why else are they so beholden to Specialized and Trek. Why bother going there?
Old 04-05-15, 08:41 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,468 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
Bike shops do not carry spare parts and when you go there to buy something, they will try to convince you to buy something else (what they have on hand that clearly does not meet your needs) or maybe offer to order. I understand that they lack capital, why else are they so beholden to Specialized and Trek. Why bother going there?
That all depends on the LBS. I use one that has everything in stock for a recently made frame, group, wheel, etc. But they don't carry Trek
Old 04-05-15, 09:16 PM
gmm213

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Feather, MSC fixed gear

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yet one of the biggest complaint in forums is lack of inventory. You can't stock every different size of every different model. All to often you read in these very forums someone who walked because the LBS did not have said bike in stock and would have to order it so they walked and found a different bike shop sometimes getting the bike they wanted at the first shop sometimes getting a different brand all because they would not wait for the bike to be ordered. I am sure bike shop people could tell you many a horror story of customers as well.
But as the OP stated instead of trying to figure a solution they tried pushing a different size on him. If I was investing that much money in a bicycle I would want to know exactly what I was getting and wouldn't settle for something that is the wrong size. Would you go into a shoe store and if they didnt have the correct size buy the wrong size because the salesmen said its close enough? Hopefully not.

As well as the fact that it sounds like the OP was pretty sure he was getting it. Grant it yes if he doesn't want it then they are stuck with that bicycle but if they had the same bike on hand in a different size they obviously have no problem keeping very high end expensive bikes on hand. Im not saying that an LBS should have every bike in stock but making an effort to help the customer is different than saying while this is good enough, so here now give us your hard earned money.

I just bought a new bike. It cost me only $530 (nothing compared to what the OP was spending). My LBS didnt have it in stock, they are a small shop and usually have 5 or 6 used higher end bikes and maybe 1 or 2 new bikes on hand. Instead of saying sorry to bad or nah we wont help you figure this out but buy this one instead its close enough, the shop mechanic spent a good 30 min finding a bike with very very similar geometry to help give me an idea of the riding of it. Thats what makes a good shop vs a shop that says "yeah well we just want your money. We could care less if we've done everything that we can to help you."

Again I'd say be done with them. I would have after the first time they showed me they only care about the almighty dollar.
Old 04-05-15, 10:39 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I was in the local bike boutique the other day. $150 for shoes, $120 for shorts, bikes starting at $1500, I knew to leave.
Old 04-05-15, 11:02 PM
coldehammer

Bikes: Bianchi Axis, De Rosa Merak

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, completely sympathize with you. If the LBS was slow and did not offer and inquire if you wanted to use it while in the shop, there goes my loyalty with them. One other pet peeve of mine is when you are in any shop in person, want to get a question answered and are put on hold while they put a customer on the phone as a priority.
Old 04-06-15, 04:44 AM
RR3
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
That all depends on the LBS. I use one that has everything in stock for a recently made frame, group, wheel, etc. But they don't carry Trek
A frame or wheel is not a spare part.

I was thinking more like headset spacer, bearings, longer stem, replacement bolts, spoke, 7x9 seatpost clamp (at a Specialized Elite saddle center no less) Silca chuck, etc. These are actual parts that local shops did not have. Back in the day, any shop worth its salt would have had these kind of parts in stock.
Old 04-06-15, 05:08 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
I usually remove the core with my fingers. Pliers work for the ladies.

Every bike shop on the planet? Well, the one I am in does carry spare parts, but occasionally (with over 40,000 items skewed) we need to order something.
But we do fix home repairs.
Old 04-06-15, 05:10 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RR3
A frame or wheel is not a spare part.

I was thinking more like headset spacer, bearings, longer stem, replacement bolts, spoke, 7x9 seatpost clamp (at a Specialized Elite saddle center no less) Silca chuck, etc. These are actual parts that local shops did not have. Back in the day, any shop worth its salt would have had these kind of parts in stock.
That YOUR shop does not have. Mine does. But not a Specialized part because we don't sell them. See a Specialized dealer for that.
Old 04-06-15, 05:11 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
It is tough because so many think you should do things for free for them. They don't understand that the LBS still has to pay rent, utilities, salaries and still put inventory in their stores and that is just the tip of the iceberg on their expenses.

While a customer may think gee it was just a small item or would have only taken a few minutes it adds up quick.
Aren't the manufacturers just as much to blame? Why aren't their MAP pricing agreements with all sellers (online or LBS) to level the playing field?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.