Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sub $1300 Ebike Options??

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 04:39 AM
Seat15c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, sorry in advance, I posted in the general section of the forum and was informed of this section, I tried to delete to post to no avail.

I am the definition of a casual rider, maybe 2 rides per week in and around my neighborhood to the store total distance 4 to 6 miles then MAYBE a 15-mile ride once a month, my area is flat, I am about 6ft 200lbs

I have not been on a bike for years so just looking for something to tool around on.

The Juiced Crosscurrent Air sounds like a good option (Great design, engineering, etc..) but they seem to have to same business model as an online seller, no dealers in my area sells them, you have to by off AMAZON and its impossible to get them on the phone, emails are spotty etc.. they bike (Like all eBikes are made in China) Their parts supply chain seems to be an issue. (Dealers and end users have commented that they can't get parts and communication is inconsistent or in some cases lacking.

They do not have regular hours in their shop so it seems it more of a wholesaler and not a direct to customer model.

I start to wonder if I am going to go online and deal with a company who isn't really set up to support customers in a direct sales model why not just go the Acheer route and by a $600 ebike and be done with it, I could by 2 at that price.

I have been told buy from an out of state dealer ie crazy Lenny, that does not seem to be much different from buying online just more expensive shipping.

The only other comparable option I have seen is the Magnum Mi5 but it does not seem to be the same Value prop as the CrossCurrent --
RickE
Old 11-06-17, 09:40 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
The Ancheer comes with a 36v 250 watt brushless gearless motor with an 8.8ah battery. That will be ok on flat roads but you'll have a tough time on the hills. Also a 8.8ah battery won't give you much range. Possibly 30 miles at best. I would also be concerned about that battery. How long is it going to last.

The CrossCurrent Air comes with a 48v 500 watt geared hub with a 8.8ah battery. The power is going to be night and day compared to the Ancheer.

For the money, The CrossCurrent Air is pretty hard to beat. Just don't like that tiny 8.8ah battery.

For my $1300, I would get a 750 watt BBS02 kit with a 48v 17.5ah battery on an existing 17 inch+ frame bike mtb hardtail or hybrid.

I priced it out with a DPC-18 color display, Universal throttle, 17.5ah Panasonic battery, std 48v charger, Lekkie 42t chainring.

https://lunacycle.com/bafang-bbs02-750w-middrive-kit/

Throw in a tool kit ($50) and a luna wrench ($20). This all you need to do the install.

https://www.amazon.com/BIKEHAND-Bike...epair+tool+kit

Total price: $1170+$50+$20 = $1240. I get a bike capable of 1200 watts (48v x 25 amp controller), and go close to 30 mph with pedal assist, a range of about 60 miles, and is whisper quiet. I've purchased 3 BBS02 kits so far from Luna and all have been very reliable. I've installed these on 2 Specialized (Rockhopper Pro 29) hardtail MTBs and a Marin Wildcat. Looking to get a BBSHD for installing on a Kona.

Last edited by WilliamT; 11-06-17 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 10:02 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Your budget is not enough for ANYTHING reliable or with a warranty or customer support. Thats what you get sub $1500.

-SP
Old 11-06-17, 10:28 AM
MikeinFL

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
MS2 Scout, $1200, 2 year warranty, based in NC:
https://shop.m2sbikes.com/products/scout-r350

Prodecotech Phantom 400, $1299, 2 year warranty, dealers around the country and two online dealers:
ProdecoTech Phantom 400 V6 Electric Bicycle
Old 11-06-17, 12:13 PM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, on the 8.8AH battery - I have a 16AH, same voltage similar motor, I pedal some but not a lot, mainly on takeoff, and 30 miles was close to a max range brand new. They fade over time, you want one of the 80%-90%-100% selectable chargers to prolong life. A 12AH would be a better choice, so choose one.

Next, for flat ground, the extra expense, maintenance requirements, and installation difficulty of a mid drive is very much hard to justify. Better profit margin, though. You can choose a very much more cost-effective solution.

Bicycles come in many varieties, e-bikes less so. So choose a bike which is comfortable for you.

I choose a lightly used, Specialized Crossroads, $200.00. A steel fork made a small, lightweight geared hub, chosen for lack of cogging drag, a simple wheel change. Front kit leaves drivetrain unchanged, easier install and makes possible an IGH for necessary higher ratio in future. I used an MXUS XF07 motor because many user reports have it passing 10,000 miles, as mine has just done. Could not find any significant problem reports on this motor. 18mph cruise in 700C wheels. No hills to climb make this feasible. Kit I choose also had a fully-potted controller for water proofing, necessary for me in Florida. $325.00

Finally, I choose a 36V, 16AH EZee brand battery, mounts horizontally on a rear double-decker rack in a sealed plastic case, with keyswitch and lock to the rack. The 16AH broke your budget by a small amount. but a 12ah battery will fulfill your needs and keep under budget. I think it is $695.00. Battery is most important and expensive single component, do not go cheap here.

All quality components, all chosen for a specific task, similar to yours but more range and frequent use. 3 years and 10,000 miles later, I have replaced several brake pads, got a more comfortable seat, oiled the chain regularly with a wax compound, bought one new tire, fixed a few flats, and had ZERO problems or issues with the motor or battery.

Edit : All items shipped from North America from reputable dealers with sterling credentials and replacement parts on hand. Motor price included shipping, rim, tire, also custom connector to match my battery. Andersons.

Last edited by Nelson37; 11-06-17 at 12:17 PM. Reason: warranty info
Old 11-06-17, 03:14 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
+1 on the Luna Kits; I've got two and they're superb (my wife appropriated the first one after she took it for a ride). Find a bike on Craigslist for $200-$300 and you're set. You're going to receive lots of other opinions on systems and they're also good options. I have used both front and rear hub systems effectively for errands like you describe. They'll be in a similar price range.
Old 11-06-17, 03:58 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We drove 200 miles to Crazy Lennys, tested some models. and bought our first ebike. Met the OP's price point too. I'm happy with it. Never had an issue. I guess they're happy too. Had a warranty. Never used it (or needed to use it).

Since then, like William and Nelson, I'm into home kits. We had good bikes in the garage. So add motor. I've done the BBS02 and a few rear geared hub motors.

No, I can't build a bike with a new frame for less money than an Ancheer. And it would be hard to match a $1099 Cross Current AIR, except I guess those are now $1399 on amazon. In that case, I would agree with William. A BBS02/shark battery on a mountain bike won't look as sleek, but will be a better riding experience. None of that Class III no throttle nonsense.

As for an Ancheer, probably many tens of thousands of them in China. For short rides, say an hour at 15 mph, it ought to work fine. It will probably benefit from a good lubrication and tuning of shifters/brakes. Sure, it will be a clunky bike, but it will have a motor.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 11-06-17 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-06-17, 09:13 PM
Seat15c

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am leaning towards the DIY option you guys have mentioned if I can find a good donor with hydraulic brakes, front suspension, and quality gearset. A question does the BBS02 come with a cadence or is that a given?

Also, any feedback on the magnum mi5?
Old 11-07-17, 12:24 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
One trade off on the BBS02 kit is that it comes with ebrake brake levers to replace your cable levers. I believe they sell something that allows hydraulic levers to work, but you will have to fiddle with it. Of course, if you''e doing a kit, this is part of the process.

It's cadence sensor. Torque sensors are over rated, especially when you have beau coup watts. Use 9 level PAS though.
Old 11-08-17, 07:53 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Seat15c
Also, any feedback on the magnum mi5?
A dealer friend of mine is having a horrible time with Magnum. Quality issues out of the box aND DELAYS IN GETTING REPLACEMENT PARTS TO FIX NEW BIKES. (darn caps lock!)

Basically the kind of things I warned about in my earlier post.

-SP
Old 11-23-17, 01:04 PM
Daven911

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you think of the M2S line?
Old 11-23-17, 01:04 PM
Daven911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The M2S line looks pretty interesting.
Old 11-23-17, 01:06 PM
Daven911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The M2S Dual Sport is on my wish list but it's about 1500
Old 11-23-17, 01:07 PM
Daven911

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh. IF you add yourself to the email list you get 10% off.
Old 11-23-17, 02:37 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
One trade off on the BBS02 kit is that it comes with ebrake brake levers to replace your cable levers. I believe they sell something that allows hydraulic levers to work, but you will have to fiddle with it. Of course, if you''e doing a kit, this is part of the process.
I built a Rivendell up with BBS02 and wanted to keep its brake levers. The power interrupter cable was easy to install: Plugs into where the kit's levers plug into, then a sticky-back magnet attaches to the brake lever body and contacts a little round thingy on the lever itself. When you pull the lever it disengages the contact between magnet and round thingy and cuts the power. Easy! I used just one on the rear brake lever.