Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New to site with a classic Italian ride

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-19-20, 06:30 PM
ntoren

Bikes: Early 1980s Daccordi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts

Hi, I was lucky enough to receive a Daccordi road bike from the early '80s when I lived in New York (back in the early 2000s). My student had bought it and a matching one in Italy in the early '80s and when he heard that my mountain bike had been stolen he gave me the Daccordi since he didn't ride it any more. Amazingly generous guy. It's all original, including the old Campagnolo brake pads and other lovely Campagnolo/Cinelli parts. It has hung in my living room for years, taken down once in a while for a little ride. Now my kids are old enough to bike around town so I'm bringing it down more and more. I'm changing my mindset from trying to keep the bike pristine to enjoying it for the great fun it is. I'd like to replace a few parts but am just learning about bike maintenance. Can someone recommend a good shop/website for obscure replacement parts? Many thanks!
Old 05-19-20, 06:40 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
Can someone recommend a good shop/website for obscure replacement parts?
Ebay or right here on the Bike Forums For Sale forum. That's where I get most of my stuff these days. You can also post locally on Craigslist or Kijiji but for unusual stuff, the other suggestions are your best bet, in my opinion.
Old 05-19-20, 06:49 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
As you said, very nice gift!
Here...
There are plenty of obscure parts, even stuff the real afficionadoes consider obscure. I doubt many us in C&V would call the parts on an early eighties Daccordi "obscure"
Hard to tell you about co-ops, etc, if the only thing we know is that you used to live in NY...
Welcome to BF, and specifically to the C&V forum!
Cheers, Eric
Old 05-19-20, 06:50 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums! Parts are cheaper here, generally, than ebay. By all means enjoy it. I have found my Daccordi, owned since new, to have an amazingly durable finish. Just wash the dirt off every so often and it will continue to look great.
Old 05-19-20, 06:58 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
OP, which model is it? (Make a few more posts so you can show us pics!)

As for the parts, as mentioned above the original stuff won't be all that hard to find, and if you want to use it a lot but preserve the original parts just take them off and replace with newer stuff that will work just fine.

Originally Posted by Insidious C.
Welcome to Bike Forums! Parts are cheaper here, generally, than ebay. By all means enjoy it. I have found my Daccordi, owned since new, to have an amazingly durable finish. Just wash the dirt off every so often and it will continue to look great.
What model do you have? Pics?
Old 05-19-20, 07:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by ntoren
I'd like to replace a few parts but am just learning about bike maintenance. Can someone recommend a good shop/website for obscure replacement parts?
It depends on where you are. I kind of like Ben's Cycles for an online shop (and real shop) with some retro stuff. So that's one.

Just a note that for all practical purposes, Campagnolo components don't really wear out. Depends on mileage though.

Here's a quick list of consumables that you will likely need to replace:

Tires, or tires and tubes if clinchers
Brake pads (campy still sells them, or get Kool Stop brand replacements)
Brake lever hoods (Rustines at Velo Orange and elsewhere)

Stuff you will maybe need to replace if worn out or damaged:

Chain (maybe)
Freewheel
Brake and shifter cables (keep the originals if they are OK because you can no longer buy thick brake cables)
ball bearings, because you should clean and repack all the bearings at this point: Hubs, headset, bottom bracket, pedals.
Old 05-19-20, 07:39 PM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
What model do you have? Pics?
I don't know if it actually has model name. The same frame is referred to in the 1987 Daccordi catalog (on Mark Bulgier's website) simply as "SL." Tubing is SLX however. Here is mine.
Old 05-19-20, 07:47 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome aboard, as said, parts and components can be found here in the For Sale subforum, worth the cost of membership to sell there. ebay is always a potential source for things, I've pretty much built two C&V bikes with these two sources. One shop I can recommend is Boulder Bikes, they are sellers/store front on ebay, and will sell from their site also. Small Campagnoo stuff up through complete bicycles available, and good honest sellers, from my personal experience.

The folks here are good people, enablers mostly as we see to have gotten infected by the same bicycle virus, and refused all cures. Enjoy that Daccordi, and the time spent with the children, I still ride with ours when we happen to be in the same city from time to time.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 05-19-20, 09:46 PM
ntoren

Great stuff, thank you!
Likes For ntoren:
Old 05-19-20, 09:53 PM
ntoren

I'm in Los Angeles now, Santa Monica more specifically. Great to have found this group. Appreciate the advice on shops/websites to visit. I also went to Helen's Cycles today and Erik Renick there mentioned a guy in their company that does lots of work on vintage/classic bikes so I'll look him up once that particular branch reopens.
In fact I bought some brake hood covers at Helen's today but I may end up ordering the Rustines from Velo Orange because they look a little classier than what I bought. Wish I had found you guys first!
My brake pads vibrate, especially the front pads, so I asked them about some replacement pads for the old Campagnolos. One of the guys there suggested filing them down bit so I may try that first. Make sense to you guys?
Look forward to posting some photos once I'm allowed!
Nick
Old 05-19-20, 10:48 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
Hi and welcome. You have a really nice bike in the Daccordi. I had a very similar Daccordi in the early 80's and loved it. I traded it on another Italian bike after a few years but it is the bike I miss today. I wish I still had it. Best wishes with the replacement components. The brake shoes should be slightly 'toe in' on the front edge and sometimes the brake calliper needs a bit of a twist to achieve this.
Old 05-20-20, 08:11 AM
ntoren

Super sharp!
Likes For ntoren:
Old 05-20-20, 08:17 AM
ntoren

Wish I could tell more about the model number. I actually called Daccordi on a whim a couple years ago. It was evening there and someone at their offices happened to pick up, saying something about a company meeting and that's the only reason she picked up. I emailed them a few photos to get an idea of year/model but she said they don't really keep extensive records on they line. And this was company headquarters! She was actually kind of baffled by my inquiry, it seemed. I guess they're not as precious with their bikes as you'd assume. It's not like some places you walk in and you find every product in a company's history lined up in a glass case. Oh well!
Likes For ntoren:
Old 05-20-20, 11:10 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
I don't know if it actually has model name. The same frame is referred to in the 1987 Daccordi catalog (on Mark Bulgier's website) simply as "SL." Tubing is SLX however. Here is mine.
Yes, I know that a lot of their bikes don't actually have a model name indicated. It looks amazing though. Great bike and simply amazing paint job.

Wish I could tell more about the model number. I actually called Daccordi on a whim a couple years ago. It was evening there and someone at their offices happened to pick up, saying something about a company meeting and that's the only reason she picked up. I emailed them a few photos to get an idea of year/model but she said they don't really keep extensive records on they line. And this was company headquarters! She was actually kind of baffled by my inquiry, it seemed. I guess they're not as precious with their bikes as you'd assume. It's not like some places you walk in and you find every product in a company's history lined up in a glass case. Oh well!
Daccordi actually have a pretty informative website, plus other information available on the web. I think people tend to forget that brands like Daccordi are pretty small companies, and most of them have been through some lean times. They produced a lot of steel bikes in the era that interests us, so one of their regular production frames simply isn't that special to them. I would even wager that if you took a trip to Italy and managed to visit one of these noteworthy brands (like a Daccordi, or Tommasini), you would be somewhat underwhelmed. I know because I speak from experience (not with these exact brands, but similar). They simply don't have the resources or the interest in creating some sort of museum like experience for the few dedicated fans they might have, and their facilities are generally somewhat industrial and plain.
Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 05-20-20, 04:37 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
My brake pads vibrate, especially the front pads, so I asked them about some replacement pads for the old Campagnolos. One of the guys there suggested filing them down bit so I may try that first. Make sense to you guys?
Welcome to the forum. Nice bike, I've always liked Daccordis. You could try sanding the pads but it may not make a huge difference, the rubber is old and has hardened. You're better off replacing them IMO.
Old 05-20-20, 05:17 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have had good luck with small parts at The Bike Stand in Long Beach. They have a good retro and vintage vibe. I went in needing some Campy domed nuts for the brakes and they gave them to me gratis.
Old 05-20-20, 07:24 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
One of my two is a Tommasini Prestige, I've emailed their home (Italy) shop a few times, they can be slow to respond at times, but the kind lady there will email you back. Take the information you receive with a grain of salt though, it can be hit and miss as to exact dates, year of mfgr, etc. Some of our regulars here have taken the tour of their shop facilities, that one is on my personal bucket list. Looking forward to some pictures of your Dacco.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 05-20-20, 07:59 PM
ntoren

Originally Posted by qcpmsame
One of my two is a Tommasini Prestige, I've emailed their home (Italy) shop a few times, they can be slow to respond at times, but the kind lady there will email you back. Take the information you receive with a grain of salt though, it can be hit and miss as to exact dates, year of mfgr, etc. Some of our regulars here have taken the tour of their shop facilities, that one is on my personal bucket list. Looking forward to some pictures of your Dacco.

Bill
Bill, yes I'd love to visit too! We actually had a trip planned to Italy this summer but that seems to have gotten scuttled.
Likes For ntoren:
Old 05-21-20, 07:12 PM
ntoren

Thanks Wulf, Long Beach isn't too far away so I'll check them out.
Old 05-21-20, 07:13 PM
ntoren

Good to know. Yeah, I' think I'l replace those pads. By the way, how are things in the State of Jefferson during this crazy time? It's always beautiful up there when we drive through on the way to visit family up North.
Old 05-21-20, 07:16 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
That's eight. Let's keep things moving. haha
And welcome to bikeforums!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 05-21-20, 07:17 PM
ntoren

Bet you're right, Roberto. They're putting all their effort towards the bikes, not too worries about a fancy showroom/historical display. I found a video on Youtube that Daccordi put up of their new factory. It does seem pretty modest - I bet the previous was even more so!
Likes For ntoren:
Old 05-21-20, 07:18 PM
ntoren

Good tip, thanks Gary.
Old 05-21-20, 09:18 PM
Choke 
Disciple of St. Tullio

Bikes: Ciöcc, Bianchi, DeRosa, Eddy Merckx, Frejus, Hampsten, Kondor, Losa, Magni, Pegoretti, Pelizzoli, Pogliaghi, Scapin

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 138 Posts
Good to know. Yeah, I' think I'l replace those pads. By the way, how are things in the State of Jefferson during this crazy time? It's always beautiful up there when we drive through on the way to visit family up North.
It's really not a lot different where I am, since it's mostly agriculture a good percentage of the people are still working. I'm sure it's crazy where you are.
Old 05-22-20, 08:25 AM
ntoren

Got a few photos!

Likes For ntoren:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.