Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

When to add a spacer to pedals

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-20, 08:39 AM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts

I am using Garmin Vector 3 pedals and have noticed that on average, I have a 3 to 5 mm offset to the outside on a regular basis. Is this a lot? (like, I mean, should I consider adding a spacer?). I already installed the 2mm spacer that came with the pedals.
I only ask because I'm experiencing some right knee pain. Along with the new pedals, I had to get new shoes and cleats. I got fitted at the LBS, but after a few rides, I notice that my right foot is just a bit farther back on the pedal than I'd like. I can't adjust the cleat anymore to fix this because I'm at the limit. The shoes are the correct size (same as my old ones that worked fine... except that the old ones were MTBs).
I'm wondering if it just takes some time to break in the new shoes.
Last week, my knee hurt so bad after a hard ride, I limped around for a few days.
Old 06-15-20, 08:53 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
Sounds like you either need a re-fitting, different float cleats or just go back to SPD

Make your rides after changing things short so you don't jack yourself up if the changes are bad

​​​​​​
Old 06-15-20, 08:53 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
If your knee hurts you need to get that sorted quickly. Is it just one knee and the other one is fine?
What "spacer", like a washer between the pedal and the crank? I use Kneesavers, it's a 25mm spacer, because I toe-out. Fitters don't always have the answer and sometimes it takes experimentation.
Old 06-15-20, 08:56 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by Tacoenthusiast
Sounds like you either need a re-fitting, different float cleats or just go back to SPD

Make your rides after changing things short so you don't jack yourself up if the changes are bad

​​​​​​
Yeah... new pedals, cleats, and shoes are a lot to change at once, but I didn't have a choice. The plan is to go back to the SPDs and see if it all goes away. Then probably new shoes (which sucks because I have wide feet and the choices are limited/expensive).
Old 06-15-20, 08:58 AM
Metallifan33

Originally Posted by big john
If your knee hurts you need to get that sorted quickly. Is it just one knee and the other one is fine?
What "spacer", like a washer between the pedal and the crank? I use Kneesavers, it's a 25mm spacer, because I toe-out. Fitters don't always have the answer and sometimes it takes experimentation.
Yep; right knee hurts, left one is totally fine. I even favor the left knee during my rides to help (54% left 46% right). I'll check out the Kneesavers. My fitter is pretty good, but I think this is something I need to sort out as the old shoe/pedal combo he set up for me worked fine.
Old 06-16-20, 01:47 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Install an SPD pedal, attach a shoe, and measure the position of the center of the shoe, right between the cleat holes. Install a Vector 3 pedal (on the other side), attach a shoe, measure, and compare. Measure from the outside surface of the crank arms. If there's a difference this will tell you what it is, and how much spacers to add. A 5mm difference should be obvious.

Phase differences and imbalances in cycling dynamics can also be due to leg length differences.