Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Applying Chamois cream

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Applying Chamois cream

Old 06-27-20, 11:33 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
I dont know about "building up hardness in the affected skin area" - I am not sure callouses on my taint are something that I want
I'm not sure that calluses are in order, but there's definitely a period of acclimation that you go through.

After being off the bike for an extended period of time (think years and 80 lbs of weight gain) and I can absolutely feel it after a ride of an hour to an hour and a half. When I was riding a lot, I probably could have ridden on a split log for hours after developing a taint of iron after hundreds or thousands of hours in the saddle over the years.

So, in my opinion, yes, you'll feel it for a little while, but the muscles will adjust and strengthen. Eventually you will have an iron taint too.
Likes For Andy Somnifac:
Old 06-27-20, 11:48 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I'm not sure that calluses are in order, but there's definitely a period of acclimation that you go through.

After being off the bike for an extended period of time (think years and 80 lbs of weight gain) and I can absolutely feel it after a ride of an hour to an hour and a half. When I was riding a lot, I probably could have ridden on a split log for hours after developing a taint of iron after hundreds or thousands of hours in the saddle over the years.

So, in my opinion, yes, you'll feel it for a little while, but the muscles will adjust and strengthen. Eventually you will have an iron taint too.
Oh sure, no disagreements there. I started riding competitively last year after a break of a few years, and the first few long rides were not fun.

I just think that the acclimatization is built through riding and getting the sit bones used to the pressure. The chammy cream helps with friction/chafing - removing that doesnt help with acclimatization, IMO.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 06-28-20, 02:36 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I was watching one of those Ask A Coach episodes from TrainerRoad and their position was that if you are needing to use cream every ride that probably have a fit issue of some sort.
Old 06-28-20, 08:10 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
OP, you may find this helpful:

Old 06-28-20, 11:56 AM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
After being off the bike for an extended period of time (think years and 80 lbs of weight gain) and I can absolutely feel it after a ride of an hour to an hour and a half.
That's probably more due to the 80 extra pounds than anything else... Stuff's gonna rub when it's a tight squeeze! Fortunately, getting back on the bike will eventually have that taken care of all by itself!
Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-28-20, 12:27 PM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
That's probably more due to the 80 extra pounds than anything else... Stuff's gonna rub when it's a tight squeeze! Fortunately, getting back on the bike will eventually have that taken care of all by itself!
I took 40 lbs off already, so we're only 40 up from my low, which has probably lower than strictly necessary. I had gotten down to 137kbs @ 5'9". I'm now a shade under 180. So, while I'm heavy, I'm not like morbidly overweight. I'm shooting to settle in at 150.

Likes For Andy Somnifac: