Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-17, 08:54 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Does "on your left" mean "move out of my way" instead?

Old 04-08-17, 09:02 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
To a pedestrian, it means "jump to my left".

scott s.
Old 04-08-17, 09:04 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Yep. To anyone but a cyclists it means "start moving about the MUP in very random fashion so as not to let anyone know where you intend to go."

And that's on a good day.
Old 04-08-17, 09:17 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yelling out "on your left" whilst aboard a bicycle is the verbal equivalent of a coin flip. Half the people will veer to the left, half the people will do nothing at all. Then there's that all-but-statistically-impossible event where the coin lands on it's edge... that's the person that moves out of the way.
Old 04-08-17, 09:17 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
All depends on the individual, their accompanying actions, and projected attitude.

I've heard it used as politely as how I use my bell and/or say "excuse me"....."thanks" .
I've heard it used as code for "get the **** out of my way" .

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-09-17 at 08:33 AM. Reason: bypassing forum censor
Old 04-08-17, 09:23 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
And some people think frame pumps were for pumping tires. Hardly, and they were never especially good at pumping tires, but stuck in the spokes of a jackass things came to a screeching halt effectively.

J
Old 04-08-17, 09:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5775 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,424 Posts
Reading some of the treads here on A&S, I suspect that for many here it does. It seems that many here feel entitled to a clear lane and see people the way I see Canadian Geese.

I look at MUPs as pedestrian walks with bicycles allowed, and don't expect pedestrians to defer to me. They're walking, and as the passing vehicle, it's my job to get around them safely.

I usually don't say "on your left" or the like, preferring "bicycle behind you" often followed by No need to move, there's plenty of room".

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-08-17, 10:08 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

It would be nice if pedestrians would waddle to the right as they do in most of Europe or at least Germany.
Old 04-08-17, 10:16 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
It does if they are in the middle of or to the left of center on a narrow route. Otherwise It is a simple announcement that a cyclist is about to overtake on your left. Similar to a bell except they don't need to look back to asess the situation.

Where did the OP suggest pedestrians were involved.
Old 04-08-17, 11:09 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
"On your left" confuses most pedestrians. I say "excuse me" instead. Or just ring a loud bell. I always bring a bell if I'm riding on a multi-use path.

If you're talking to a bicyclist, "on your left" means the same as "hold your line", but most people will try to move more to the right if they can do it safely without slowing down.
Old 04-09-17, 12:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I usually say "Bicycle passing on your (fill in the blank)" to indicate I'll pass when it's safe to do so. Some folks walk on the left and couples or groups will split to the sides, leaving the center open, so "left" doesn't always apply.

But the past several weeks I've used bells that jingle continuously while riding on the MUP, which seems more effective.

Either way, I try to pass no faster than the equivalent of walking speed on the narrow paved path (really, it's just a sidewalk). If passing walkers, I try to slow to 8-10 mph. If passing slower cyclists I try to pass no faster than roughly 3 mph faster than their speed.

On the wider gravel trail I'll pass a little faster because there's often up to a 10 foot buffer, and the crunchy gravel announces cyclists well in advance.

But I'm not in a big hurry on the MUP. If I want to ride faster there are plenty of public streets going the same direction. I take the MUP on days I'd rather ride casually, around 10-12 mph average.
Old 04-09-17, 02:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
Nope.

It means ... "Hold your line. Don't move. Please don't move. For goodness sake, stop moving already!"

I find it is better to bellow, "BICYCLES PASSING!!!" at the top of my lungs.
Old 04-09-17, 03:11 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
"On Your Left" is just as stupid as "Head's Up!!!" Seriously, wouldn't it be better to get that golf ball making contact with your thick skull rather than an eye???

I ring bell and announce, "passing on your left" as I get closer. No need to say "bicycle" since the audible bell ringing is a universal sound associated with an approaching bicycle. All of my bicycles have a bell.
Old 04-09-17, 04:22 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
it's the cyclist equivalent of some wanker driving up behind you at some ungodly speed, flashing their brights, and
expecting you to move out of their way in some mind melded, predetermined way so as not to slow them down one whit.
in my limited experience, it's usually just best to stay on the path and let the nutters go around-unless it's in an open carry state of the us.
Old 04-09-17, 04:37 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
If you are in the middle or even on the right side of the road or path, absolutely.
Old 04-09-17, 04:59 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
I think it is pretty clear that when a cyclist says "on your left" that someone is coming from behind on your left.
Old 04-09-17, 05:28 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
it's the cyclist equivalent of some wanker driving up behind you at some ungodly speed, flashing their brights, and
expecting you to move out of their way in some mind melded, predetermined way so as not to slow them down one whit.
in my limited experience, it's usually just best to stay on the path and let the nutters go around-unless it's in an open carry state of the us.
Are you threatening other cyclists?
Old 04-09-17, 05:46 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 783 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by coffeesnob
I think it is pretty clear that when a cyclist says "on your left" that someone is coming from behind on your left.
It could also be a warning that there is a snake on the ground on your left or here in Florida an alligator.

Of course if they have just seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show they might be thinking about "JUMPING"
48 seconds.

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 04-09-17 at 05:56 AM.
Old 04-09-17, 06:14 AM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Any chance that we never see eye to eye on this based on the group we identify with.... as a commuter, I use my bell and sometimes "on your left" and then wait to see what happens (like folks above, the reaction is unpredictable). But, I am not training and not really in a hurry, so the reactions don't bother me, and in turn my "on your left" might sound nicer than some folks.

But, for people out training and in groups, they are hoping not to lose pace, nor mess up the group dynamics. So, it could be that their "on your left" sounds like a command, in place of a notification, or request. Then, the people are startled or angry and react poorly. Plus, if things don't go well, the cyclist then gets frustrated, and the negativity continues.
Old 04-09-17, 06:17 AM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
"On your left" is obvious to an overtaken cyclist, but to a pedestrian, it's a foreign language, not to mention dogs and young children on bikes. I use a bell for MUPs.
Old 04-09-17, 06:57 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I never say 'left' or 'right', way too many people move the wrong way. I just say 'passing please' and let them figure it out.

Another topic is bells.
With younger people listening to their cell-phones and older people being hard of hearing, don't expect a bell to accomplish anything good.
Old 04-09-17, 07:30 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Sometimes, but certainly not always.

I find every situation to be different. Sometimes there's really no reason to say anything. If someone in front of me is jogging with earbuds in, holding to the right, clearly they know what they're doing and don't need or even want any sounds from me.

But in most situations it's just polite to announce yourself before overtaking and potentially startling others. And here's the thing I've found:

No matter what I say, (or if I ring a bell) as long as they hear it they ALWAYS look. So since it really doesn't matter what is said as far as getting their attention, I like my words to be polite or pleasant. "Good Morning" and other such greetings are my preferred, and in a friendly tone. I certainly don't want others to think I'm commanding them to "Move out of my way".

I've been thanked many times when doing it this way.
Old 04-09-17, 07:49 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
I am considering just yelling "Git the hell outta my way mother****ers

Last edited by cb400bill; 04-09-17 at 08:16 AM. Reason: bypassing forum censor
Old 04-09-17, 08:11 AM
Loose Chain

Originally Posted by Machka
Are you threatening other cyclists?
Oh chill out. I would just use the incredible shrink ray I invented. It only works on people with rotund rears who cannot tell left from right or fathom that there may be somebody else in the world other than themselves. Not FDA approved yet and I still need to do some fine tuning. Sometimes it gets confused and just shrinks everybody to ant size.
Old 04-09-17, 08:50 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
"On Your Left" is just as stupid as "Head's Up!!!" Seriously, wouldn't it be better to get that golf ball making contact with your thick skull rather than an eye???

I ring bell and announce, "passing on your left" as I get closer. No need to say "bicycle" since the audible bell ringing is a universal sound associated with an approaching bicycle. All of my bicycles have a bell.
Why are either "stupid"? Both convey information in a short declarative manner. Adding "passing" to "on your left" is a nice touch but completely unnecessary. Additionally adding "passing" doesn't make "on your left" any more useful or more intelligent.

It can mean that but I think most people use it in the manner of "don't move into my way". The people that I see riding in the "move the hell out of my way" are more often the children of nonmaritial sex who say nothing when passing.

Most of the people that call out "on your left" to appreciate the warning. I know that I do if someone is passing me...although it seldom happens. Yes, pedestrians can scatter when you call out but I ride defensively and am prepared for that to happen.

On the other hand, I never say "thank you" when passing. It's not the "thank" part but the "you" part that can be misconstrued. I've been yelled at because someone thought that a different work preceded the "you" part.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 04-09-17 at 08:54 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.