Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts on my plan to convert to ebike

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 07:51 PM
MikeinFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've decided to convert my aluminum hybrid with a rear hub motor kit. After a lot of searching I find that what I want will cost in the $900+ range for a rear kit. There are ebikes costing less then that like the Ancheer, etc. (but not a 1000w 48v)

Then I found the LunaCycle Ebike Kit 1000 Watt is on sale for $275. What was it's price not on sale? Adding a 48v samsung battery and other options price is $784. (not including shipping $50) I'll add two torque arms on rear fork for extra strength.

Comments on this kit and company? Is that a good sale price?

Can I get a cheaper kit somewhere, like ebay? a 750w 36v would be ok.

Last edited by MikeinFL; 11-01-17 at 09:05 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 10:05 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I see a 1000W fatbike motor on sale for $275. Your aluminum hybrid can take 4" rims and tires?
Old 11-02-17, 01:09 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My thoughts are that if you want any intelligent or experienced advice on your ebike kit, YOU should describe, in some detail, just exactly what YOU want the kit to do. What do YOU want or need, what are the requirements that YOU want it to fullfil?

Speed, range, weight, reliability, budget, acceleration/hill-climbing, noise, pedaling style, ease of use, load carrying, simplicity of install, safety, legal issues, warranty support, replacement parts, regen braking, etc.

I could describe the kit that I built, for MY requirements, MY wants, MY needs, and MY desires, and just assume that it is perfect for what YOU want, but that would be, well, incredibly stupid.

Since you live in Florida like me then water resistance is another issue, and cold weather handling is not. Unless you travel, which I could guess at, but best if you supply some additional information.

There are many, many types of bicycles, designed for different riding styles. If you want to put a 20 pound motor on a lightweight roadbike, there might be some good reasons not to do that. If you want to put a 5 pound geared motor on a rough trail mountain bike, ditto. Or, either of these could work for what you want. If I knew what that was.

If you want my thoughts on the company you mentioned, based on extensive research over 5+ years, you had better send a private message.
Old 11-02-17, 07:21 AM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I see a 1000W fatbike motor on sale for $275. Your aluminum hybrid can take 4" rims and tires?
can not. Not the fatbake wheel, the other one (standard wheel) for sale for same price, the "Ebike Kit 1000 watt Waterproof Connectors Hub Motor Conversion"

Last edited by MikeinFL; 11-02-17 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-02-17, 08:21 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I've had excellent products and service from Luna, and have ordered from them at least 10 times. Once there was a problem with a kit and they remedied it rapidly. I believe DW has had the same success with them as have many of my friends. I haven't purchased their hub kit, but their mid-drives, batteries and chargers are superb. My initial purchase from them when they first started selling products, a 52V, 10 a-h battery that does multiple duties in a 48V, 1000w rear hub system (33+ mph) and BBS02 dirt bike, is still running strong after two+ years. The dirt bike was appropriated by my wife and I'll show pictures of my new Luna BBS02 with a 52V, 6-ah mini-battery in a week or so. This is the best system I've ever had, and that includes Haibike OEM bikes as well as other DIY kits and many bikes I've had the opportunity to perform long term tests on.

Last edited by 2old; 11-02-17 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-02-17, 12:16 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I like luna. It was started by a guy on a forum like this who was passionate about ebikes and saw the need for a reliable US vendor. And coming from that background he has the kind of stuff I like. Its pretty high on the trusted vendor list. I would only buy from them, EM3ev.com, or ebikes.ca (or maybe bmsbattery if I was feeling lucky).
Old 11-02-17, 06:13 PM
Doc_Wui

Originally Posted by MikeinFL
Not the fatbake wheel, the other one (standard wheel) for sale for same price, the "Ebike Kit 1000 watt Waterproof Connectors Hub Motor Conversion"
1) It's direct drive. Doesn't fit my needs. Meant to go fast, like an electric motorcycle.

2) Has no provision for pedal assist, You want to run motor, you hold the throttle, Again, meant to go fast,

On the plus side, the connectors are nice and better than what you get from a $175 ebike kit on ebay, plus you get a display.

If there is no pedal assist, you probably will feel the drag of the magnets when you try and pedal. I tested a commercial direct drive motor this summer and the sales guy said the first level PAS was just enough to overcome the drag of the magnets, I feel he was wrong, I felt no drag with the pedal assist off, but that was a smaller motor,

One of these days, I might buy a 1000W direct drive off ebay for $175 but I know I'll never ride it, Don't need to go 30 mph on the street, These are great for that.
Old 11-02-17, 07:18 PM
2old

DW is correct about a direct drive motor; definitely don't purchase if you live upstairs unless you want a workout. I purchased a 48V, 1000w motor from YESCOM just to try one out and it's great for errands even though the rear wheel must weigh 25 pounds. Top speed is 33+ mph (shut it down at that point, but don't think it would go much (maybe any) faster. Been reliable for two+ years which isn't unexpected since there is only one moving part (if you dismiss the bearings). Users report 15,000+ miles on the motor.
Old 11-02-17, 09:53 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yea I dont need 1000w but it's very difficult to find a 500 or 750 watt for a 700c size at a good price, not shipping from over seas.

I'm surprised the Geared Hub Ebike Kit 750w at Luna says it weighs only 10 lbs. Is that right? Replacing my 6lb wheel with a 10 lb electric hub wheel is only adding 4 lbs (not including battery) which would be fantastic. still haven't decided what to buy. I would like a rear 500 or 750 watt kit for a 700c at a reasonable price
Old 11-03-17, 02:08 PM
Doc_Wui

10 pounds for motor only. Wheel/tire/freewheel extra. My smallest hubmotor is 5 lbs by itself.

Ebikeling.com ( on ebay) sells a 700cc geared 500W kit for under $179 when he has them in stock. None right now. No frills, but I bought two of these in 26" and I like them.
Old 11-03-17, 04:27 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
10 pounds for motor only. Wheel/tire/freewheel extra. My smallest hubmotor is 5 lbs by itself.

Ebikeling.com ( on ebay) sells a 700cc geared 500W kit for under $179 when he has them in stock. None right now. No frills, but I bought two of these in 26" and I like them.
thanks I would buy from ebikeling but everything is out of stock!
Old 11-03-17, 07:14 PM
2old

DW, what weighs 5 pounds? Assume Q100H?
Old 11-03-17, 11:24 PM
Doc_Wui

Yes, the bare Q100H came in at 4.8 pounds on my home scales.

My first ebikeling 500W motor, freewheel, spokes, rims, and inflated tire/tube, i.e. complete wheel was 11.2 pounds. The second one, which I bought a few months later, checked in at 8.4 pounds w/o tire/tube. Could be some variation as I used the same scales but at a different time. DIdn't think my tire weighed that much,
Old 11-04-17, 09:53 AM
2old

DW, thanks.
Old 11-04-17, 11:06 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 63 Posts
I usually look to Luna for mid-drive kit and less so with hub kits.

I like the Dillenger hub kits. I have 2 of the street legal kits and they have been very reliable.

This one is a 48v 1000w direct drive hub with a Samsung 11.6ah dolphin battery. You can get it in 5 different wheel sizes.
Its a good deal at $799 for everything.

https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/e...dillenger.html
Old 11-05-17, 02:26 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WilliamT
I usually look to Luna for mid-drive kit and less so with hub kits.

I like the Dillenger hub kits. I have 2 of the street legal kits and they have been very reliable.

This one is a 48v 1000w direct drive hub with a Samsung 11.6ah dolphin battery. You can get it in 5 different wheel sizes.
Its a good deal at $799 for everything.

https://dillengerelectricbikes.com/e...dillenger.html
thanks, I've been checking out dillenger as one of my top pic kit choices. The 1000w kit in the link is out of stock in 700c but I want a geared motor anyway so I might get the other kit on sale, the 350w rear geared hub. 6 lbs lighter too
Old 11-05-17, 08:23 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Confused about aluminum front forks again for front hub motor. I'm looking at Leed kits (e-bikerig) and in their video the lady says their front 500w kit can go "on any bike." They include torque arms.

So it implies aluminum fork is ok as long as you use torque arms. Is that true? or if I want a front motor hub must replace the front aluminum fork with steel fork?
Old 11-05-17, 09:53 PM
slomoshun

Bikes: Treks and a Moulton

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeinFL
....it implies aluminum fork is ok as long as you use torque arms. Is that true? or if I want a front motor hub must replace the front aluminum fork with steel fork?
Even with torque arms, IMO an aluminum fork and hub motor is not a formula for long term joy. You might get away with it, many have, but it only takes one faceplant to wreck your life.

Leed may still offer a rear hub option.
Old 11-05-17, 10:26 PM
2old

+1 on not using an aluminum fork for a front conversion; the ramifications of a failure could be astronomical. There are plenty of rear hubs available or just purchase a steel fork (my Surly has been excellent).
Old 11-06-17, 05:22 AM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike, you have gone from a front mount, direct drive, 1000W kit, to a 350W, geared, rear-mount kit. These two kits are dramatically different in their performance, capabilities, and suitability for purpose.

If you just want to pick one at random, that's fine, but if you want one best suited to your needs, you absolutely must describe what those needs are.

If you just need to go 6-8 blocks to the shuffleboard court at 8-10 mph on smooth pavement then the front mount might be OK. If you want to ride gnarly trails at 25-30 mph then you need a different mount and a different motor.

What do you want it to do, and what is important to you? Ferrari, pickup truck, or golf cart?
Old 11-06-17, 08:28 AM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nelson37
Mike, you have gone from a front mount, direct drive, 1000W kit, to a 350W, geared, rear-mount kit. These two kits are dramatically different in their performance, capabilities, and suitability for purpose.

If you just want to pick one at random, that's fine, but if you want one best suited to your needs, you absolutely must describe what those needs are.

If you just need to go 6-8 blocks to the shuffleboard court at 8-10 mph on smooth pavement then the front mount might be OK. If you want to ride gnarly trails at 25-30 mph then you need a different mount and a different motor.

What do you want it to do, and what is important to you? Ferrari, pickup truck, or golf cart?
Should have made that clear before, thx for asking. Here's how I ride and what I'm looking for in an elect conversion. I have a cheap bikesdirect aluminum hybrid, 700c. Has a "free of defects all components" 5 year mfg warranty. A lifetime "frame and fork" warranty. Those warranties will certainly void when I install an elect kit. That's ok.

I bike almost daily 3-10 miles close to home, store runs, casual rides,etc. I stay on quiet streets as much as possible. I do have to ride on sidewalks at times because of traffic. I'm 5'6" 175lbs

My bike is not expensive so I'm ok messing around with it. I can do some basic bike maintenance, except truing but will learn how if possible and get a truing stand if need. I prefer to do any maintenance myself when possible.

So I see youtube vids of elect bikes and kits and started researching the whole thing. There is a lot to consider! The more I research the more things to consider. I would like to stay under $600 if possible but I'm learning quality batteries are essential. One question I have is will 24v be ok for me?

When I convert my bike here's what I want:

1. at least 20 mph with variable speed throttle. Although I'm considering 15mph just to keep it lighter.

2. I still want to ride my bike without power most of the time and then use PAS or throttle when I get tired or have a long stretch. I live in FL so it's all flat and hills are no concern. I've learned a geared motor provides no resistance spin when power is off so I want geared motor.

3. because I want to ride my bike without power most of the time I want the lightest kit I can use. Up to 15 lbs would be ok, 20 lbs max. I'm considering 24v with 250watt motor, but that only reaches 15mph so 36v is ok.

4. I want some stealth and not have the bike look like a fancy expensive elect bike. Mainly to avoid theft temptations. A smaller motor hub, silver prefered (black ok), so that most people would have no idea it was electric. A larger 1000w hub gets noticed. I might put battery in case on the rack, or use dolphin case where bottle frame goes.

I did decide on a rear hub because of my aluminum fork and because rear will feel more stable etc.

This Leed (e-bikerig.com) kit I think has what I'm looking for?:
https://www.e-bikerig.com/products/5...-bike-kit.html

-19mph
-small silver geared hub on rear in 700c size
- 10.5 lbs
- variable throttle
-11 Ah Samsung 35k Li-ion battery

Would this kit fit my requirements as I've stated? Looks to me it will. I can bike around without power as before and at only 10.5 lbs would hardly notice I think.

This kit is just under $1k and I'm finding a kit like this will be above $800+ wherever I look. This price level is getting high enough I stared looking at complete elec bikes. But I like my hybrid and don't want 2 bikes. Stilling looking for a lower cost kit similar to the Leed above.

My next question is- aren't all the components on most kits made in China? USA retailers mark them up quite a bit. I would buy a ebay kit from China (not battery) if free shipping and geared 700c but can't find any. Can I find all the parts cheaper separately (hub on wheel) somewhere?

Leaf Bike in China describes a rear kit motor as "direct drive Brushless Geared high torque hub Motor". I thought a direct drive motor was not geared?

Kits on ebay are inexpensive but none I can find with geared motor for 700c size. Or even a geared motor.

I found a kit from China is $834 with free shipping but going to stay away.

I do have a lot of battery questions, like making your own battery pack. But I'll post another thread for that.

Last edited by MikeinFL; 11-06-17 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-06-17, 01:02 PM
Nelson37
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks in the ballpark, but I am not familiar with that dealer. "Direct-drive brushless geared" is classic Chinglish. That weight and power is almost certainly geared, UNLESS the motor is a Aotema. These are the lightest direct drive motors I have seen. Most DD hubs are way over 10 lbs, motor only. However, most 350W geared hubs are under 8, mine about 6. The motor I described in the other thread was 6lbs, and is available in a rear kit. Light motor like this can work on aluminum suspension forks, with gentle use and torque arms, but not really recommended. A 1000W DD drive with regen ( torque in the opposite direction), that gets a HELL NO.

You can buy a bare motor and lace it yourself, or have a bikeshop do it. The savings in shipping cover the labor, and you get a quality rim and spokes of your choice instead of the cheapest crap available, in many cases, any size you want. NOTE - most motors have multiple speeds, or windings, which often are selected by wheel size. As in, 201 RPM for 29in, 328 RPM for 26in rim. These are examples only, check a simulator for some detail data.

Yes they all come from China, or nearly all.

Battery building a whole nother animal, not my cup of tea but some of the new kits are attractive. Just not in my skillset, though.
Old 11-10-17, 10:38 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
You would be well off with a q100. Super light. My kit cost $500, 25 miles at 20mph would be no problem. My bike weighs 29lb with battery, and is great to ride with or without power. 50-60lb bikes, not so much
Old 11-10-17, 01:16 PM
Rick Imby

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Your statement about only owning one bike**********

EEEEkkk
Old 11-10-17, 08:05 PM
MikeinFL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
You would be well off with a q100. Super light. My kit cost $500, 25 miles at 20mph would be no problem. My bike weighs 29lb with battery, and is great to ride with or without power. 50-60lb bikes, not so much
was that kit with or without battery?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.